PDA

View Full Version : Durable Rain Pants

ThomClaire
05-28-2014, 18:42
Hey folks, a quick question about rain pants. I'm going to a conservation corps in a couple of weeks and am expected to show up with a rain jacket and pants. I don't think I'll be using the pants very often, but since there is a chance that I'll end up needing them, while also needing to get on my knees (or whatever), and while wearing Carhartts (cotton), I'm thinking it might be best to have a more-durable-than-average pair of rain pants. So far, online, it seems like Duluth, Carhartt, and Gembler all have their own "work-site" tough rain pants, but that's pretty subjective, as we all know. So I wanted to ask for recommendations on some tougher rain pants, while keeping in mind that I'd like to not spend more than $75 on these.

ThomClaire
05-28-2014, 18:44
Well, I can't seem to find an edit button.. but I should mention that when I said Conservation Corps I'm talking about trail maintenance/building, foot bridge construction, rock work, etc.

Thanks,
Thom

Damn Yankee
05-28-2014, 18:48
How about a pair of Frog Toggs and some knee pads

Namtrag
05-28-2014, 19:10
First time I squatted in my new Frogg Toggs, the crotch tore 12", probably not a great choice for doing trail work! Lol

TrippLite
05-28-2014, 19:19
Since weight will not be an issue, I would suggest checking out a military surplus store if you have one nearby.

ThomClaire
05-28-2014, 19:34
Hey, thanks for all the quick responses.

Yankee, which frogg toggs do you suggest? I did see one pair on their website that was supposed to be more durable, but now I can't remember what they were. I want to say horny toadz (?? weird name). I assume you meant knee pads over the rain pants.

Tripp, thanks for the suggestion. I do have an army surplus close and will check it out soon.

Do you all think that the carhartt, duluth and Gembler are ill advised? I personally wouldn't be suprised if you pay for more than you get, but since I have no experience with them I don't want to assume.

Malto
05-28-2014, 21:09
How about a pair of Frog Toggs and some knee pads

Not these. They won't even survive normal hiking on slightly overgrown trails.

shakey_snake
05-29-2014, 02:15
I'd second the frog toggs.

You want to take the lightest cheapest pair you can find. They'll be functionally equivalent to other rainpants (you'll never wear them), they'll weigh the least in your pack.

rafe
05-29-2014, 05:50
+1 on the Frogg Toggs. The only downsides -- they're dirt magnets, almost impossible to clean completely, and must be air-dryed. No heat!

Damn Yankee
05-29-2014, 06:14
Carhart and Duluth make great stuff but heavy and expensive. The reason I suggested Frogg Toggs is because you said you most likely wouldn't be wearing them much if any. Not the most durable but cheap and light.

Old Hillwalker
05-29-2014, 06:32
Helly Hanson are tough and completely waterproof. But you will sweat copiously when working.

Starvin Marvin
05-29-2014, 08:48
If you go with the Frogg Toggs, bring plenty of duct tape. :)

TrippLite
05-29-2014, 10:07
I don't think you can go wrong with either Carhartt, Duluth or Helly Hansen. You're going to sweat in rain gear regardless. Since you mentioned chances are you may not even need the gear I would consider what other purpose the rain gear would be suited. For instance... if I rode a motorcycle I would consider the high visibility reflective rain gear

ThomClaire
05-29-2014, 10:58
Thanks again for everyone's input. It seems like Frogg Toggs are mostly preferred for their low cost and low weight. I think it's either that or Helly Hansen Voss pants. Anyone have experience with these?

I've ruled out the Duluth and Carhartt rainwear due to price.