PDA

View Full Version : Common stove on the Train this year

Graywolf
05-28-2014, 19:14
I have been looking at different stoves. The past several years I have bought or made several, from alcohol stoves to white gas. My two favorites from each each class has always been the trangia mini and the MSR Whisperlite original. I recently purchased with my REI dividends the Jet Boil flash cooking system. Mostly to test it, write a review then send it back. With all the humbug on the net, I was curious what was up with this stove. Well, I love it. However, for thru-hike purposes, I still havnt boought into it yet as it weighs more than my Trangia. Albiet though th JEt Boil cooks much faster.

So what is the consensus on stoves this year on the trail. I can flip through all the journals on TJ, but that would take a while. So I thought I would post it here. And what is your favorite stove, and why?

E.

rafe
05-28-2014, 19:25
Pmags has done it all...

http://www.pmags.com/stove-comparison-real-world-use

I'm not aware of any particular new innovations or hot products this year... maybe I missed it?

Graywolf
05-28-2014, 19:36
Even though Pmags put up a good article, I must say it did not answer the question. Several years ago, the most common type was alcohol stoves, or it seemed by posts here and elsewhere. But year to year the trend changes. In 2009 when I did my hike from Springer to the Smokies I carried my little trangia, but the most common stove I saw was the caldera. I have not seen these since. In 2011 and on several of my weekend hikes last year I saw many Jetboils. So I am curious which direction we are going this year.

I am not looking for the best, as Pmags states, there is NONE! I am looking for what is common and what seems to be the trend.

E.

Starchild
05-28-2014, 19:40
One unexpected plus for the JB was not worrying about fuel resupply as that 100 (or 110)g canisters lasted forever. Much nicer to enter a trail town and not worry about finding fuel. Hiker boxes and ever shelter resupply made it last even longer.

colorado_rob
05-28-2014, 19:50
The best overall information source I've ever seen on backpacking stoves is here:

http://zenstoves.net/StoveChoices.htm

This being said, the page does NOT discuss the Jetboil, at least, when I read it last. Still, the concepts are all valid, like energy content, weights, etc, for the various stoves. The Jetboil is roughly 25% more fuel efficient than the MSR pocket rocket, so you can extrapolate from there. With due respect, you bought the wrong JB; the Sol is significantly lighter and a tad more efficient. Basically, my calculations and testing show that if you make multiple boils in a day and go more than a few days between resupply, the JB Sol is the most weight efficient stove system, plus incredibly easy and fast. Even given the low heat content of alcohol, if you only do a single boil a day and resupply often, PLUS you have patience, an alcohol setup is probably the best and lightest.

mattjv89
05-28-2014, 23:09
Well the bubble isn't nearly up here yet but the trail is starting to get busy with LT and section hikers and the occasional early thru. So far I'm observing a few less jetboils and more pocket rocket or alcohol this year relative to last, but that's just who I run into.

I just took delivery of an Optimus Vega and have only given it some initial testing but love it so far. Weighs as much as 2 pocket rockets (6oz and change) but the remote line lets you use a regular windscreen without risking an explosion and invert the canister to get a consistent flame in cold.

Odd Man Out
05-29-2014, 13:18
Trends come and go. Sometimes due to new designs that become available. Sometimes, just due to what's "popular".

You asked what I will be using and why. In my case, it's a DIY alcohol stove that is relatively new (at least new to me). As such, you probably won't see many (or any) other people using it yet. It's the eCHS stove. It is made from a single aluminum juice can. It is an unpressurized top burning stove (can't really fail, explode, etc). No priming necessary and it comes up to full speed in just a few seconds. It is reasonable powerful (boils 2 cups in 4 to 5 minutes) and very efficient (boils 2 cups with less than 15 mL fuel).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTp5zTOYPHQ&list=PL4BA305BB19EAB1C5

The other stove I like a lot is the Zelph Startlyte (with cap/no stand). It is equally simple, fool proof, and light. It is a little less powerful and efficient. Also power output drop as fuel runs out. But it has a spill proof wick, can be easily extinguished, and excess fuel saved for next time, which ultimately increases its efficiency as you don't have to burn off excess fuel, as you do with some alcohol stove designs.

Note that I am not thru hiking, but will doing a 6 day section hike this summer (not that it matters WRT my stove choice).

Dahoyt
05-29-2014, 13:30
I love my MSR PocketRocket. I see them a lot on the trail. I would only use something different if I ended up making my own alcohol stove.

Mags
05-29-2014, 14:12
Some form of a canister stove seems the overall most popular stove. Be it for thruhiking or in general. Esp wth fire bans a regular occurrence in many places out West, alcohol stoves are losing their popularity. As to which canister stove is most popular? Some
form of Jetboil or the MSR Pocket Rocket seem the 'winners'.

RED-DOG
05-29-2014, 14:18
I have seen alot of Jetboils out their so far this year, but i always use a MSR pocket rocket either one is a great stove.

daddytwosticks
05-29-2014, 16:17
As a section hiker down south here, my observations would say some type of Jetboil. I tend to use Esbit or a Snow Peak canister stove, depending on time of year, duration of hike, etc. :)

NY HIKER 50
05-30-2014, 11:16
I would have to say that I am sticking with an alcohol stave. The reason? I had been "burned twice" by canister stoves. I originally had a Gerry mini stove, and the fuel cans suddenly became unavailable. They I had a bluet. Same thing. I was going to buy one more, and then that fuel canister was gone. I'm sticking with alcohol. I'm not getting stuck again. I could go to the MSR, but white gas is really banned on transportation. For now you can use the stoves, but be ready.

Mags
05-30-2014, 12:12
re: fuel for canister stoves

The difference between the modern canister stoves and the ones you listed above is that the current batch of canister stoves do not use a proprietary canister. Snopeak, Jetboil, MSR and MANY others pretty much all use the standard Lindal valve (http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/canister_stove_faq) at this point.

A Jetboil can use Jetboil, Coleman (found at Wally World), Snopeak and MSR canisters. And MSR can use all the same canisters. And so on.

I could be wrong, but I think it will be a loooong time before the Lindal valve standard goes away based on the sheer amount of stoves that use this canister type currently. It is not just one stove company, but many.

Feral Bill
05-30-2014, 14:50
What's most popular may not be best for you. Consider all options

July
05-30-2014, 16:02
I'll have to vote for the supercat. Costs mere cents, built in pot stand, efficient, and weighs almost nothing. Plus you can find can in any store you walk into.

Feral Bill
05-30-2014, 16:14
Another thought: People's stove loyalties often show a fanaticism most commonly seen in religious zealots and soccer hooligans. Take all opinions with a grain or ten of salt.

rafe
05-30-2014, 16:50
Another thought: People's stove loyalties often show a fanaticism most commonly seen in religious zealots and soccer hooligans. Take all opinions with a grain or ten of salt.

Nah, I'm totally agnostic, have tried most kinds. I have a lot of respect for folks who use alky stoves effectively. Never did try Esbit tabs or a Caldera. I've done: Svea, two Whisperlites, Sierra Zip, Jetboil, now this...

Canister + Pocket Rocket just happens to be my current choice. Convenient, clean, hot, not too heavy, canisters easy to find along the trail.

Mags
05-30-2014, 16:57

Right up there with knives and water treatment! ;)

Ktaadn
05-30-2014, 17:04
The Train that I was on last month had a wood burning potbelly stove

July
05-30-2014, 21:41
The Train that I was on last month had a wood burning potbelly stove
Did it have a fan?

Demeter
06-01-2014, 07:20
I ordered an Emberlit FireAnt off kickstarter, excited to try it. Wood burning, but it has a platform for my Starlyte (17g) so I can still use alcohol. I just can't bring myself to cook with wood in my Caldera Cone. Don't know why, just a hangup. Actually, I am going to do that today and get over it :)

rafe
06-01-2014, 07:36
I would have to say that I am sticking with an alcohol stave. The reason? I had been "burned twice" by canister stoves. I originally had a Gerry mini stove, and the fuel cans suddenly became unavailable. They I had a bluet. Same thing. I was going to buy one more, and then that fuel canister was gone. I'm sticking with alcohol. I'm not getting stuck again. I could go to the MSR, but white gas is really banned on transportation. For now you can use the stoves, but be ready.

Modern canisters are (finally) standardized and interchangeable. I would not have considered one for thru-hiking ten years ago.

misterfloyd
06-01-2014, 10:31
I like my homemade alky stove. I have no problem with the slow time, I find some other chore to do while it is cooking. I like the fact that I can see in my container exactly how much fuel I have. It is light and it all fits together in my wife's .9L pot from her Girl scout mess kit.

However, when I go over nighting with my son, or winter hiking, I break out my MSR Superfly (gotta love the name!) cannister stove. I would like to sell it and get something lighter in weight however.
Floyd

Graywolf
06-02-2014, 13:19
Great commets. In reply to the commetn about the Jetboil Sol, I think I got the right one. The Sol was a little higher and I was able to get the Flash with my REI dividends and still have enough left over for a few other extras. I like it thus far.

I plan on being on the Trail this summer for a week long hike, Pen-Mar to Harpers Ferry, so I will keep my eyes open for stoves. I enjoy watching out for "Trail Trends". It doews change year to year.

With all the comments, I do still love my Trangia Mini. The video on the Hoop Stove was short but cool. The flame pattern was unique. I like that.

Graywolf

double d
06-02-2014, 13:51
Lots of good ideas here, but I've always found the MSR PocketRocket works best. Canisters do add weight, but I've tried other stove combinations and they don't work for me.

bamboo bob
06-02-2014, 14:46
I read Mags comparisons. I guess I'm different. I often hike with my wife, I use a Jetboil. Alone I get 30 days to a canister with my wife I get 15. With two of us we each carry a canister. I have never gone to town because I needed fuel. I have the original one, I may have bought it the day it showed up in stores. The newer ones require a better cozy or you'll burn your hand. I've cooked ramens and Knorrs but never the cheesey ones or it is a big mess. Stick to the rice dishes. Like with knives and water treatment! tarp v tent and hammocks, my God Hammocks. I really think people marry what ever gear they started using and don't change out of religious conviction that they are right!

Mags
06-02-2014, 15:06
I read Mags comparisons. I guess I'm different. I often hike with my wife, I use a Jetboil

If you do FBC or similar, the Jetboil works rather well I imagine as the Jetboil and Reactor are water boilers supreme.

If you do something that is not in a pouch, then you are limited very much by the pot size of the Jetboil. The Reactor may be a better choice if you want a larger pot capacity with similar performance (but more weight vs the Jetboil Ti) A cheese dish is better in a bigger pot for example.

In fairness, I imply but not explicitly state the above info.

All gear choices are compromises.

And ultimately not that important compared to other things...

really think people marry what ever gear they started using and don't change out of religious conviction that they are right!l

I use a canister stove, a white gas stove, an alchie stove and often go stoveless.

Guess I am just all mixed up on my religious dogma. ;)

Graywolf
06-02-2014, 15:15
When I was looking at the Jet boil, I was also looking at ther MSR pocket. I am still considering going back and getting the msr as well. I got the Jet Boil because my girlfriend hikes a lot with me and felt it was a better solution. The Trangia which I have been carrying for over 10 years has served and still serves its purpose. For my solo hikes and am leaning to the MSR for the quickness and light weight. And I have always been partial to MSR. My Whisperlite has served me well and never had any problems with it.

The one thing I really like about the Jet Boil Flash is you can remove the cooking cup and use the stove itself. I have a GSI tea kettle that works great on it. So the added "convertibility" is great for hiking with partners.

Great comments and as the one poster above said, lots of great ideas as well. Thanks hikers for commenting..

Graywolf

bamboo bob
06-02-2014, 15:26
[QUOTE and often go stoveless. QUOTE] I've done quite a bit stoveless, in warm weather months there's plenty of no cook food and I think makes me feel less dependent. If your the type that needs that morning coffee try chocolate covered ground coffee beans.

July
06-02-2014, 22:04
I use a canister stove, a white gas stove, an alchie stove and often go stoveless.

Ain't life grand!

July
06-02-2014, 22:17

Ain't life grand!

Ooops... 1st Statement Mags 2nd July....

zelph
07-18-2014, 22:40
shugemery likes the Fancee Feest as his goto stove:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKAFAsPfC4s&list

misterfloyd
07-19-2014, 09:21
After doing a good section, most had jetboils, hands down.

They are pretty light, very quick, and with a 4oz cannister it lasts about 5 days so I'm told.

still do not like not seeing how much fuel I have

Floyd

zelph
07-20-2014, 16:50
After doing a good section, most had jetboils, hands down.

They are pretty light, very quick, and with a 4oz cannister it lasts about 5 days so I'm told.

still do not like not seeing how much fuel I have

Floyd

Can't hear the birds singing while it's heating water;)