PDA

View Full Version : AT or PCT?

cthomasy
05-29-2014, 10:50
Hi everyone! I've planning on doing an AT thru-hike in 2015 starting March 1st and finishing early August for a few years now, but recently I was doing some research on planning for the AT and what not and I came across this video of the PCT (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIvyuazEoaw). I've heard of the PCT for awhile now but I haven't really given much thought to it as a thru-hike before doing the AT but after watching the video and seeing all the great views and scenery I'm torn! I want to do the PCT now! Which trail do you all think I should do? If I end up doing the PCT could I still finish early August? Please help!

Lone Wolf
05-29-2014, 10:52
Pct.......

Kerosene
05-29-2014, 11:01
PCT will certainly provide you with a truer wilderness experience. As there are fewer thru-hikers with fewer towns than the AT there is slightly less of a social aspect to the hike. I view the logistics as much more difficult; especially through the southern deserts. If I was in your position I would probably lean toward the PCT, but you can't go wrong with either one I would think.

colorado_rob
05-29-2014, 11:07
I'd suggest if you ever want to do both, do the AT first. I'm from out west, used to hiking out here. It is a REAL struggle to hike the entire AT for me because of the lack of open vistas and the sameness of it all. You being from Indiana, might not have this problem, unless you've hike extensively out west.

(For the record, I've only done the AT from Springer to NY; I have very high hopes for the northern section of the AT).

So do the AT, then the PCT.

And when you do the PCT, finishing in August might be a real challenge, without some sort of creative flip-flop; you just generally cannot hike the Sierras too early, meaning starting in mid-late April, meaning probably finishing in September at the earliest. Unless you are very fast.

rafe
05-29-2014, 11:07
PCT would have the better scenery for sure. PCT is longer but from what I hear, easier than the AT. AT has major verticals (average, per day) and the scenery is... well, about what you'd expect from the Appalachians, for the most part. Occasionally very very nice but not quite the jaw-dropping views of the PCT and JMT. It's never very far from civilization.

The AT has a big social scene, hostels and trail angels and hiker-feeds aplenty, if that's what you're into. Or you can do it southbound (or any of several alternate schemes) and have a very solitary hike. AT has a lot of history and tradition to it.

All that said, NH and ME on the AT are pretty spectacular. Too bad so many northbound thru-hikers hit 'em when they're worn out and tired.

fiddlehead
05-29-2014, 11:13
You want to be more wet, or more hot and dry?
AT is humid and it rains a lot. (some call it the green tunnel)
PCT starts with 800 miles of high desert and it never rains> Nor has a lot of shade.

A few other differences but they are the two that stick most in my mind.

Years ago, there were way less people hiking the PCT, but I think that's changed now.

Bobby
05-29-2014, 11:16
Hi everyone! I've planning on doing an AT thru-hike in 2015 starting March 1st and finishing early August for a few years now, but recently I was doing some research on planning for the AT and what not and I came across this video of the PCT (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIvyuazEoaw). I've heard of the PCT for awhile now but I haven't really given much thought to it as a thru-hike before doing the AT but after watching the video and seeing all the great views and scenery I'm torn! I want to do the PCT now! Which trail do you all think I should do? If I end up doing the PCT could I still finish early August? Please help!

both are fun and have different aspects to offer. That being said, if I could only do one trail again, it would be the pct. views, weather, differing terrain and ecosystems. In many ways it's actually easier too. At least mile for mile

Venchka
05-29-2014, 11:39
Hike the John Muir Trail as a warm up for long distance hiking. After you complete that hike, if you want to do a multi-month hike, then flip a coin for your next, longer adventure.
Include the CDT in your coin flipping.

Wayne

flemdawg1
05-29-2014, 11:47
Just be careful slapping down those 3-sided coins. Those corners are SHARP.

Ricky&Jack
05-29-2014, 12:38
i know the AT has a town every few days for re-supply.

Whats it like on the PCT? once every other week you can find a store to re-supply?

Malto
05-29-2014, 13:26
I would do PCT hands down. but there is less than a 1% chance of you finishing by early August, so you will want to do the AT or change your constraints.

Miner
05-29-2014, 13:32
The PCT has become too crowded in recent years (1800 permits issued by the PCTA this year; was only 400 in 2009), so I think you'll have a better experience on the AT because at least they spread their starting time out over 2.5 months while everyone on the PCT seems to start in a 3 week window.

You can't finish in early August on the PCT unless you are a speed hiker since you can't even start the trail until sometime in April in most years; most people start mid April to early May. There is a big difference between the Smokey Mountains holding snow and the Sierra Nevada holding snow in the spring so its best to let a lot of it melt off first.

Sure the PCT has more views, at least until the AT gets up to New Hampshire. But you can resupply every 2-4 days on the AT and hide in a shelter everynight. Resupplies on the PCT are 4-7 days. Longer in the High Sierra if you don't want to hike extra non-PCT miles to get to a trailhead. And there are no shelters.

Ricky&Jack
05-29-2014, 13:38
so re-supply is about every 4-7 days on the PCT? hows the water availability? daily?

Miner
05-29-2014, 13:49
so re-supply is about every 4-7 days on the PCT? hows the water availability? daily? Water is a big issue during the first 700 miles as you hike in Southern California. You can usually find water at least once a day. But that really depends on your daily mileage. Going 15-20miles is not unusual to get to the next water source. There can be a couple of longer stretches, but there are water caches that break it up; though you shouldn't rely on them as they can be empty if you are behind a large group. A drought year can be worse, but I often carried 4.5L. I did carry 6L of water once. There are a few dry streches up in Northern California and Southern Oregon, but you usually are doing big mileage then so its not hard to get to the next source.

Ricky&Jack
05-29-2014, 15:37
is the pct trail well marked like the AT? I mean, like, can you usually see the foot path? or do you basically come to a big open area and all you know is "i need to head north towards that mountain, and then I should be able to pick the trail back up?"

Mags
05-29-2014, 15:41
May want to read this doc (Even if I wrote it) :)

http://www.pmags.com/pacific-crest-trail-planning-info

Ricky&Jack
05-29-2014, 15:58
May want to read this doc (Even if I wrote it) :)

http://www.pmags.com/pacific-crest-trail-planning-info

I browsed that, and especially loved the comparison to the A.T.

I didnt see an average $ though to hike the PCT. Do you know the average money needed?

Im told $4,000-$6,000 is best for the A.T.

But im guessing since theres less hostels/motels/towns on the PCT that pretty much everynight will be on the trail, saving money for room and board.

any rough estimate?

Mags
05-29-2014, 18:05
$1000/mo is a good baseline for the big three trails IMO. (Not counting transportation cost to/from trail as well as initial gear). A faster thru-hike costs less. A longer thru-hike costs more.

The PCT and CDT have less town stops, but the town stops tend to be more $$$$. Personally, I think it is a wash in terms of cost.

DLP
05-29-2014, 18:44
so re-supply is about every 4-7 days on the PCT? hows the water availability? daily?Days between food resupply is very dependent on how many miles per day you are able to hike. Is is probably better to ask the miles between resupplies (and water). A lot of PCT resupplies are 70, 80 or 90 miles apart. That might be 3 days for one person and 9 days for another person. But a person doing an average of 10 miles a day probably won't complete a PCT thru hike.

PCT resupplies: http://postholer.com/databook/resupply.php

Dogs on the PCT are more problematic because of the number of miles thru National Parks.

Miner
05-29-2014, 19:28
What I don't like about Postholer's resupply list is it doesn't tell you how easy it is to get to some of them or back from them or whether or not you have to send a box. Some of the ones listed, I skipped over because it was generally believed that the hitch would be hard or because I had to send yet another box.

Spirit Walker
05-29-2014, 21:27
Is your time window set in stone? If you have to start March 1, then the western trails aren't going to be possible. If you can start in late April or early May, then the PCT NOBO is possible, but you won't be likely to finish by August. If you need to finish a semester, you could do a SOBO starting in late June.

The PCT has become much more crowded in recent years, and due to publicity from Wild, is likely to be more so in the next few years. Camping won't be much affected (no shelters) but hostels and supplies in town may be limited and water caches will definitely feel the impact. The problem on the PCT is that everyone starts at the same time, so as to arrive in the Sierras in mid-June. Any earlier means dealing with a lot of snow and dangerous river crossings, later means reaching the Cascades after the onset of winter, which can be as early as mid-September some years, but usually is early October.

This year's drought and resulting fires along the trail will likely affect next year's hikers as well. It takes a few years for the brush to grow up again. It may be another el Nino year, so expect a lot of snow in the Sierras next year. Get ice axe training before you go.

Generally the trail is very easy to follow. It's not blazed like the AT, but there is a clear and obvious footpath - except in snow.

Venchka
05-30-2014, 08:10
Hike the John Muir Trail as a warm up for long distance hiking. After you complete that hike, if you want to do a multi-month hike, then flip a coin for your next, longer adventure.
Include the CDT in your coin flipping.

Wayne

Changed my mind.
Test your long distance hiking mettle on the Colorado Trail. It is closer to you. Getting to/from each end seems to be relatively easy. August is good. September is better. One month and a bit. Give or take a zero or two. Durango to Denver.

This will get you started...
http://www.pmags.com/colorado-trail-end-to-end-guide-2#to%20and%20from%20Durango

After you finish The Colorado Trail, you can decide your next move. The CDT. NOBO or SOBO. Sections or The Whole Thing in One Chunk. :) :cool:

Wayne

2NewKnees
05-30-2014, 08:38
I've talked to a few friends who live out there and have hiked parts of the PCT and the AT. They all say do the PCT first if possible if you want a solitary experience with awesome views, tough terrain and more difficult conditions. Such as finding shade and water in the desert. If you want a wilderness experience with more fellowship, water, shelter, re supply points, etc. Do the AT first. After watching Tell it on the Mountain, I really want to do the PCT then the AT. I've lived here in NC my whole life and can't imagine the views out west of the Sierra's. Whatever you choose you'll have a wonderful lifetime experience.

garlic08
05-30-2014, 09:10
I hiked the PCT before the AT, but it certainly wasn't my first long hike. I'd had over twenty years of fairly serious backpacking and mountaineering experience in Colorado, including the Colorado Trail, before attempting a PCT hike. (And it was because of all the mountain hiking that I was not at all interested in the AT, but when I hiked the AT years later, I loved it.)

It's hard, and maybe stupid, to give advice to someone without knowing their experience or skills. It's best to keep in mind all those great PCT views aren't free--there can be some pretty harsh conditions out there above tree line, and up to a week away from the next resupply.

If you are 16 and living in Indiana per your profile, keep in mind the AT is comparatively in your backyard. If you have time and money constraints, as I did as a teenager struggling to get going in Chicago, the Appalachians are a fine place to start a long distance hiking career. It was a trip to the Smokies in the late 60's that first got me thinking....

Ricky&Jack
05-30-2014, 11:33
lasnight i watched "as it happens: the pacific crest trail" on youtube.

just to be sure, that was waaay more snow than usual, in 2011 right? because i knew to expect to walk in some snow, but when they walked it on the side of mountains it looked more like an Everest decent or something from cliffhanger.

postholer.com
05-30-2014, 11:43
So here are some resources that will answer some of your questions.

Use this siimple synopsis (http://postholer.com/pctPlanning.php) for what a PCT hike requires. This table (http://postholer.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2398) will show the average length of time hikers take (including zero days) between town stops. Use the resupply page (http://postholer.com/databook/resupply.php) for overall distances, distance to town and map links. For a geographic view of resupply locations use the google map (http://postholer.com/gmap/gmap.php?trail_id=1&zoom=5&markertype=1).

The old online data (http://postholer.com/databook/index.php?trail_id=1) book with 2,000 locations has detailed information about the trail, but not as detailed or current as the new printed data book (http://postholer.com/mapbooks) with 4,000 locations.

Elevation profiles (http://postholer.com/databook/elev.php) for each section can be viewed by themselves and/or in the data books.

Finally, if you want to see what type of gear PCT hikers carry, check out the gear lists (http://postholer.com/journal/sampleGearlists.php).

Good grief. If this doesn't border on spam I don't know what does! :rolleyes:

-postholer

Malto
05-30-2014, 11:58
lasnight i watched "as it happens: the pacific crest trail" on youtube.

just to be sure, that was waaay more snow than usual, in 2011 right? because i knew to expect to walk in some snow, but when they walked it on the side of mountains it looked more like an Everest decent or something from cliffhanger.

Yes 2011 was an abnormally high snow year.

cthomasy
05-30-2014, 12:10
Thank you all for your help! I think I'm going to stick with doing the AT for next year and then maybe take a gap year between high school and college and hike the PCT. I'm taking a half a semester off next year so I can start in March and finish late July early August so I can start my senior year on time. Knowing now that starting so early on the PCT and finishing by August would almost be impossible it would be much better for me to hike the AT and get done on time. Thanks again! If you guys have any more comments or tips feel free to keep on commenting!

Venchka
05-30-2014, 12:15
Thank you all for your help! I think I'm going to stick with doing the AT for next year and then maybe take a gap year between high school and college and hike the PCT. I'm taking a half a semester off next year so I can start in March and finish late July early August so I can start my senior year on time. Knowing now that starting so early on the PCT and finishing by August would almost be impossible it would be much better for me to hike the AT and get done on time. Thanks again! If you guys have any more comments or tips feel free to keep on commenting!

Be prepared for winter conditions on the AT through April.
Be well funded.
Have fun.

Wayne

Ricky&Jack
05-31-2014, 12:25
what was the average cost to hike the PCT?

I hear $4,000-$6,000 is recommended to do the A.T. but I would assume that a big portion goes to hostels/motels etc. And if I understand correct, that since towns are further apart, you star in far fewer hostels/motels. Is it still about $4,000-$6,000 to hike the PCT?

Coffee
05-31-2014, 12:36
what was the average cost to hike the PCT?

I hear $4,000-$6,000 is recommended to do the A.T. but I would assume that a big portion goes to hostels/motels etc. And if I understand correct, that since towns are further apart, you star in far fewer hostels/motels. Is it still about $4,000-$6,000 to hike the PCT?

My budget for the PCT is about $1,000 per month on the trail ($5K for five months), $1,000 for transportation including flights to/from east coast, local transport, maybe a few paid shuttles, $1,000 for gear replacement, and a $1,000 (s*** happens reserve). Total $8k budget. Nearly $3K is offset by expenses I won't be paying at home that I normally would pay (groceries, gasoline, recreation, etc), so my net PCT budget is $5K. If I rent out my condo while I'm away, my PCT cost will be less than zero, net.

Venchka
05-31-2014, 14:30
My budget for the PCT is about $1,000 per month on the trail ($5K for five months), $1,000 for transportation including flights to/from east coast, local transport, maybe a few paid shuttles, $1,000 for gear replacement, and a $1,000 (s*** happens reserve). Total $8k budget. Nearly $3K is offset by expenses I won't be paying at home that I normally would pay (groceries, gasoline, recreation, etc), so my net PCT budget is $5K. If I rent out my condo while I'm away, my PCT cost will be less than zero, net.

Why didn't I think of renting the house during a thru-hike? Right. Mrs. Wayne might object. That is still a good way to fund a hike if possible.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

Coffee
05-31-2014, 14:35
Why didn't I think of renting the house during a thru-hike? Right. Mrs. Wayne might object. That is still a good way to fund a hike if possible.

I am single so in theory it could work. The main issue is that if an injury ends my hike I would have to figure out a housing solution quickly so I'm not sure it is worth it. It's not a make or break thing where I couldn't afford the hike without the rental income.

Venchka
05-31-2014, 15:44
Single opens many options. Grinning.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

Ricky&Jack
05-31-2014, 15:48
its not realistic to use a hammock on a thru of the PCT is it?

I only started to gather PCT info, but im guesing with the dessert, and high mountains that it wouldnt be smart to take a hammock.

RED-DOG
05-31-2014, 16:04
For me doing the PCT in 2015 is another chapter in my hiking career and then i will do the CDT 2016 or 2017, but if i could go back before my first thru-hike ( 96 AT Flip-Flop ) i would diffenatly do the PCT first and then the AT, in preparation of my PCT thru i am using Yogi's Guide and PCT maps I already have gotten my entire Resupply Strategy figured out, which towns i am going in and buying food only and which towns i will buy food and also mail myself a mail drop farther up the trail and a bear vault at sauleys that sort of thing.

Ricky&Jack
05-31-2014, 16:09
For me doing the PCT in 2015 is another chapter in my hiking career have you figured out a rough budget? Im seeing 4,000-8,000 as recommendations here

RED-DOG
05-31-2014, 16:49
have you figured out a rough budget? Im seeing 4,000-8,000 as recommendations here
I have talked to a couple of people that did the PCT last year and the way i understood it, the PCT costs about the same as the AT or maybe a little less they said their was alot less oppurtunity to go into towns, which i knew that so i am going to budget the same as i did on my 2012 AT thru ( I only spent $5700 in 2012 ) that was $ 7000 dollars with a thounsand in reserve for emergency use and that will cover all the Gear before the trail and Gear replacement on the Trail, Transportation to and from, Trail food, Hostel/Hotel, Resturants, the cost of sending myself Food drops, Cost of Shuttles if i get any, all the permits any side trips ( Half Dome. MT Whitney ) and anything else that might arise

stillatit
05-31-2014, 18:20
They are VERY different trails and experiences. A thru-hike on the PCT is not for beginners. Chalk up some serious backpacking experience first. You could always do a few sections of the PCT to get a feel for it before attempting to tackle the whole thing. There are parts of it that are close to civilization (around Big Bear in SoCal, near Tahoe in NoCal, the southern Cascades in Oregon) that would help to give you the feel for it. Meanwhile, if you just need to get experience hiking, the AT is fine---but again a very different from the high western mountains.
:D

Ricky&Jack
05-31-2014, 18:27
on the PCT is there an "ultimate weekend spot?" like, if im ahead of schedule, and could easily kill a week, is there a place where people often say "screw it. Im gonna chill here for a few days/week and just relax, buy souvenirs for the family, go to the movies etc?"

Malto
05-31-2014, 18:53
on the PCT is there an "ultimate weekend spot?" like, if im ahead of schedule, and could easily kill a week, is there a place where people often say "screw it. Im gonna chill here for a few days/week and just relax, buy souvenirs for the family, go to the movies etc?"

Yeah, the Mojave desert

seriously, get at least an overnight under your belt before planning how to spend a week if you're ahead of schedule on a completely unknown trail.

stillatit
05-31-2014, 19:13
Ricky&Jack:

Yes, there are some: 1. near Big Bear in southern California. 2. where the PCT goes thru Reds Meadow near Devil's Postpile Natl. Mon.---just N of there is the side trail to the E that takes you to the large Mammoth Lakes area; there may even be movies there, but whatever the case on that, it's a fine place to relax and meet anyone who can drive up to see you; in the summer the ski crowd is gone and there's plenty to do. 3. further N near Lake Tahoe is another place; if you're NB the easiest place to bail and hit civilization is near Echo Lake; then catch US Route 50 N to the S. Lake Tahoe community.

Of course all these are excellent resupply spots.

:sun

Coffee
05-31-2014, 19:24
Since I may start a bit earlier than most thru hikers to avoid the crowds, I might get to Kennedy Meadows too early to enter the Sierra if it is a heavy snow year. I'm considering Mammoth Lakes and North Lake Tahoe as possible spots to hang out for a week or two if necessary. Both are expensive for lodging but there are campgrounds. Also I figure that it should be possible to go on lower elevation "backpacking" trips ... Like heading to a lake a few miles from a trailhead and hanging out for a few days on a first come first serve permit which would cost nothing.

Miner
05-31-2014, 20:57
If you find yourself at Kennedy Meadows too early, hitch out to Ridgecrest and rent a car for a week. Go visit Death Valley NP.