PDA

View Full Version : Clothing for 30 Day Section Hike - Feedback Please

mibrahim
05-29-2014, 11:57
I am planning a 30 day section hike starting at the Delaware Water Gap and try to go as far as I can in 30 days starting July 1st. I wanted to get some feedback on my clothing list:

Wearing:

Underwear: Exofficio Give-n-go boxers
Socks: Smartwool Liner Socks and Smartwool lightweight hiking socks
Boots: Salomon Quest 4D GTX Hiking Boots
Prana Stretch Zion Convertible Pants
Smartwool Microweight 150 T-Shirt
Columbia Silver Ridge Button Up

Packed:

Smartwool Microweight 150 Bottoms for sleeping
Smartwool Microweight 150 Long Sleeve for sleeping
Patagonia Nano Puff Jacket
Marmot Precip Rain Jacket
Pair of running shorts.

mibrahim
05-29-2014, 14:46
I am planning a 30 day section hike starting at the Delaware Water Gap and try to go as far as I can in 30 days starting July 1st. I wanted to get some feedback on my clothing list:

Wearing:

Boots: Salomon Quest 4D GTX Hiking Boots
Prana Stretch Zion Convertible Pants
Smartwool Microweight 150 T-Shirt
Columbia Silver Ridge Button Up

Packed:

Smartwool Microweight 150 Bottoms for sleeping
Smartwool Microweight 150 Long Sleeve for sleeping
Patagonia Nano Puff Jacket
Marmot Precip Rain Jacket
Pair of running shorts.

FarmerChef
05-29-2014, 14:58
Looks fine to me. Honestly, you'll find out real quick what you like and don't like. I hike in running shorts and a technical tee when it's above 60 and the microweight Smartwool when it's below (though it's perfectly comfortable in the summer heat - wool, what a wondrous thing). I don't wear pants or an overshirt. At night, I slip on very lightweight flannel pants while outside my bag as well as the smartwool but in the heat of July that's about it, if at all. It is roasting hot, even up in PA that time of year and the nights can be sticky hot. So if anything, you may just find you packed too much. Easy to fix though. Just mail anything you think you really don't need back home or at least to the closest PO where you parked ;)

saltysack
05-29-2014, 22:31
Love the prana Zion but lil warm for summer imo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leanthree
05-29-2014, 23:42
In the summer heat and boots of that sort, I'd be changing my socks half-way though the day which would require a third pair.

Looks like a good list though. If it is too hot at night for the long sleeves, you can always sleep in no shirt or your hiking shirt.

mibrahim
05-30-2014, 00:28
I bought a mid hiking boot and trail runners but I just don't haven enough support in my ankles which is why I'm using such a heavy boot in the summer.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Papa D
05-30-2014, 00:39
looks pretty good - I wear the same nylon shorts, fleece sweater and rain jackets for weeks on end - change out under armor briefs and poly shirts. That gets it done - - there are some new socks that I like too - made by Foot-Joy (a golf company) but they are great for fast packing, trail running etc. and stand up well when wet and dry quick - - here is a link:
http://www.globalgolf.com/golf-apparel/1027558-footjoy-merino-tour-low-cut-socks/?id=42251995018&opt=aaa&gclid=CMaMwODp0r4CFSMQ7AodTBcA6A

bigcranky
05-30-2014, 08:51
It'll be fine.

Honestly, in the summer I just wear the shorts and the t-shirt to hike in. The button up shirt might be useful as a light layer around camp, where I bring my very light single layer wind shirt. The Nanopuff is a good idea for chilly nights.

The only thing I would change is the shoes - for me, waterproof shoes are far too hot in the summer. I'd rather wear mesh shoes and wool socks, and my feet just get wet in rain storms or stream crossings, and then dry quickly. But if you prefer them, then go for it.

Have a great hike.

Almost There
05-30-2014, 09:22
Too much clothes for July in my opinion. Drop the button up, or the t-shirt from the wear list. It will be hot as blazes most of the time, so carry one or the other, but not both. As for your packed gear, I'd take the Precip but not the Nano Puff. Precip should keep you warm enough with a shirt underneath...I usually carry a windshirt and leave rain gear at home in the summer...with the heat either way you get wet. The Nano Puff will be overkill unless you get to the Whites, and even then...

I would also drop the sleeping bottoms, and carry only the running shorts.

When I section in the summer I carry/wear the following

Hiking Kilt/short
Spare Short
2 shirts
2 underwears
2 socks
DriClime Windshirt

All of that being said, if you're comfortable with what you're carrying, I don't see the big deal of an extra shirt or short. Just giving my two cents because you asked.;)

mibrahim
05-30-2014, 15:58
thanks for the input everyone