PDA

View Full Version : UL Pillow

GolfHiker
05-29-2014, 21:05
I've been stuffing gear in my Therma Rest pillow case for years. But alas, it is falling apart. Very light, super comfy. I just thought I'd ask about UL pillows. I know MontBell has a 2.2ounce blow up. I know this is a luxury to some, but I put a lot of stock in sleeping well, and for me it starts with a pillow of some type. Also, in summer I just don't have enough good things to stuff a pillow case.

Thanks for any sugestions. :-?

theinfamousj
05-29-2014, 21:18
I like the Cocoon Air Core (sub 2 oz) pillow so much that I bought a second one when my first developed a leak.

Sent from my SGH-I777 using Tapatalk

TNhiker
05-29-2014, 21:23
Second on the cocoon....

Packs down like a baseball sorta......

Venchka
05-29-2014, 21:24
Exped Air Pillow, size large, over a Thermarest 1 1/2" Stadium Seat. I have been sleeping with this combination for a week. I may not go back to my big, cushy down pillow.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

bigcranky
05-29-2014, 21:27
The smaller Cocoon Air Core at REI is 5.8 ounces. Is there a different model that's sub 2oz?

EDIT: found it, the Cocoon Hyperlight pillow. Nevermind.

HooKooDooKu
05-29-2014, 21:53
ExPed Air Pillow Large...

much thicker than the Therm-a-rest pillow.

The Ace
05-29-2014, 22:21
I use a FlexAir Ultralight Pillow. Weighs 16 grams (excluding the air). Slide my shirt over the end of my sleeping pad; slip the pillow inside the shirt to hold it in place.

Tuckahoe
05-29-2014, 22:42
Exped Air Pillow, size large, over a Thermarest 1 1/2" Stadium Seat. I have been sleeping with this combination for a week. I may not go back to my big, cushy down pillow.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

ExPed Air Pillow Large...

much thicker than the Therm-a-rest pillow.

Also using the ExPed air pillow. Ive also been putting it into the clothes bag to create a bit larger more pillow like pillow.

Odd Man Out
05-29-2014, 23:20
I got some of these and made a diy fleece pillow case.

http://www.amazon.com/Graham-Professional-Medical-FlexAir-Pillow/dp/B004C2XI1A

Wise Old Owl
05-29-2014, 23:41
an old airport blow up C shaped free pillow.

Venchka
05-30-2014, 08:26
My Exped Air Pillow is new-got it during REI's recent sale. What I learned is that to get the most comfort, you need very little air. The weight of my head changes the volume and firms up the pillow. I started with too much air. The pillow was rock hard. I kept letting air out until the firmness was just right. At that point, the height of the pillow was too low. When I was on my side, my head hung down and my neck was not at the right angle.
Then the light bulb when on. I have had this Therm-A-Rest Sport Seat since forever. It is the same construction as the early self-inflating sleeping pads. The same dimensions as the Exped pillow and 1 1/2" thick. Self-inflated with the valve closed, the pad is firm enough that my head doesn't squash it. I then put the Exped pillow on top of the Sport Seat, placed both in a regular pillow case and Presto! Correct height. Correct support - not hard, not soft. A very good night's sleep.
It has only taken me about a zillion years to find this solution to a nagging problem.

ps: The Sport Seat was in my pack anyway. The perfect place to sit in camp. Using it under the air pillow adds a bit of insulation and puts the pillow at the correct height for my head and neck. 8 ounces for the pair. I tried and dismissed several stuffed pillows that were equal to or heavier than that. I could substitute the Exped UL Pillow and save an ounce or two but loose the deflation valve and 3 years of warranty. Why bother?

Wayne

Rocket Jones
05-30-2014, 10:16
I carry the large exped air pillow and a small piece of firm 2" foam that goes under it to raise the height enough for me (I'm a side sleeper). I was going to sew a pillowcase to slip them into, but found that they work just fine stacked. No slipping at all.

Venchka
05-30-2014, 10:51
I carry the large exped air pillow and a small piece of firm 2" foam that goes under it to raise the height enough for me (I'm a side sleeper). I was going to sew a pillowcase to slip them into, but found that they work just fine stacked. No slipping at all.

Thanks for pointing out that my pillowcase may be redundant. At most, I probably just need some very light nylon ribbon through the tabs on the pillow and around the sport seat.
At this point I am very happy to have finally solved the Pillow Riddle. I hope the second third of my new sleep system (NeoAir XTherm) proves to work as well.

Wayne

Wayne

colorado_rob
05-30-2014, 11:26
I also like that hyperlite cocoon, but my wife's weighs 2.6 ounces (actual, weighed), not 2.4 like the REI specs say, but no biggie.

In any case, I've always scoffed at carrying a dedicated pillow... I just use my tent or sleeping bag stuff sack and fill up with all clothing and jackets and other soft stuff. THEN I tried her cocoon pillow... well, I think I might make this decidedly non UL switch! Very comfy.

QHShowoman
05-30-2014, 11:48
My most comfy pillow (although not lightweight and bulky, so I've relegated it to short trips and car camping): Is a Thermarest Compressible Pillow (large) stuffed into an REI pillow stuff sack. It's perfect.

My recent experiment was with an Exped Large pillow in a Goosefeet Gear down pillow stuff sack which seemed like the best of all worlds, but I wasn't that crazy about sleeping on the nylon pillow case (if you want it the case, it's yours for $25).

So, what ended up working for me was the Exped inside the REI pillow stuff sack. Still love my compressible pillow combo the best, but this works.

GolfHiker
05-30-2014, 17:06
Thanks to all. This is coming down to a close race between the ExPed & the Cocoon Hyperlite. Lots of pluses for both, so I just need to pick one & try it.

cbr6fs
05-30-2014, 20:04
Have the exped pillow but don't find it high enough as i usually sleep with 2 pillows at home.

So i found if i put the inflated pillow in my exped snoozle bag with some clothing it makes a great pillow.

pyro_
05-30-2014, 20:45
Exped UL large pillow with a goosefeet gear down pillow sack

Turk6177
05-30-2014, 21:00
I have used the cocoon pillow and found it to be not all that comfortable. Even when I let air out of it, it always felt like my head was rolling off one side or the other. I switched to Backside Lite Wave pillow. While it is a little heavier than the cocoon, because there is stuffing in it that self inflates, I found it better to sleep on. I felt the added weight was worth the trade off. For $20, you can't go wrong to try it out. It is not perfect, but better IMHO. http://www.blackpinesports.com/the-backside-mooncrush-pillow

mibrahim
05-31-2014, 16:36
I recently bought the Sierra Designs 600-DriDown Pillow total weight is 5.8oz. It's not that UL but is extremely comfortable on the trail. I agree restful sleep is the most important thing on the trail and this pillow has made my sleep all the much better.

cats.don't.camp
05-31-2014, 20:39
I usually just sleep on my pack but I bought a LuminAID as an impulse buy when I ordered my backpack. It's pretty neat. It's a waterproof inflatable solar light that doubles as a pillow. At 3oz that's not bad for a multi-use item. I've only used it twice but slept fine both times. Good luck finding what you're looking for!

http://www.luminaid.com/product/luminaid-solar-light/

Wise Old Owl
05-31-2014, 23:09
thank you for the dual purpose idea awesome.

Bronk
06-01-2014, 10:56
A friend of mine is a pilot and was looking for a lightweight pillow to keep in the plane and picked up a "travel pillow" at walmart that got me to thinking...its pretty lightweight and just big enough for your head. I've always just used extra clothing and gear for a pillow, but the older I get the less comfortable this is.

GolfHiker
06-02-2014, 18:41
REI is shipping my new ExPed UL L as we speak. Good nights ahead. Thanks for all the input.

jimmyjam
06-02-2014, 19:12
I've gone to using my clothes bag with my buff over it for a pillow case. i've tired 2 inflatables and a stuff sack with fleece sewn to one side similar to what zpacks sells and nothing works as well for me for as my clothes bag and buff. it's taken me two years of experimenting and stiff necks.

lynn523
06-19-2014, 22:18
I recently bought a cheap $2 beach ball (weighs just over 2 oz) and have been experimenting with it as a pillow at various levels of inflation. (just stuff it in a shirt to avoid sleeping on plastic. It works really well on my side - much better than anything else I've tried. The only drawback is that I need it to be inflated more for side sleeping and less for sleeping on my stomach. (Those of you who can sleep on their back are really lucky!). Now I'm planning to try experimenting with a cheap kids swim ring. I'm thinking that I could partially inflate it to a comfortable level for stomach sleeping and just double it over when I want more height to sleep on my side.

meat803
06-20-2014, 01:24
I use the old thermarest at a whopping 9.5 oz. It is my one luxury item. I would love to find something lighter that is as comfortable but no luck yet. I have been considering cutting it in half as it seems it will still have usable dimensions. The only hard part I would think is sewing it shut before it swole up.

Foresight
06-20-2014, 03:58
I use a "neck bone".

daddytwosticks
06-20-2014, 07:09
I recently bought a cheap $2 beach ball (weighs just over 2 oz) and have been experimenting with it as a pillow at various levels of inflation. (just stuff it in a shirt to avoid sleeping on plastic. It works really well on my side - much better than anything else I've tried. The only drawback is that I need it to be inflated more for side sleeping and less for sleeping on my stomach. (Those of you who can sleep on their back are really lucky!). Now I'm planning to try experimenting with a cheap kids swim ring. I'm thinking that I could partially inflate it to a comfortable level for stomach sleeping and just double it over when I want more height to sleep on my side.
I'm similar, except I use modified children's water wings. Got the idea from a Whiteblaze poster years ago. Works great in a stuff sack along with any spare clothes. :)

lynn523
06-20-2014, 10:41
That's great to know, daddytwosticks. The water wings were going to be my third experiment after the swim ring. Maybe I'll try those next instead. You mentioned they're modified. How so?

daddytwosticks
06-20-2014, 16:22
That's great to know, daddytwosticks. The water wings were going to be my third experiment after the swim ring. Maybe I'll try those next instead. You mentioned they're modified. How so?Each one is cut in half. There is a section of the float that does not contain air when inflated. Just cut in half there. I lay both flat in my sleeping bag stuff sack. Toss in some spare cloths on top of the water wings to make it a bit fluffy. The water wings have a natural dip in the middle of the pillow when set up this way that comfortably cradles the head. Wish I could remember who here on Whiteblaze to credit with this idea. :)

lynn523
06-20-2014, 16:42
Thanks! I'll definitely give that a try!

thomas5052
07-12-2014, 10:40
I haven't had a chance to throw it on a scale but the Rei Flash pillow is a smaller version on the exped (it is made by exped) and it weighs 1.5 Oz from manufacturer specs.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Peakhunter
07-13-2014, 08:24
UL...it would be lighter w/o a pillow! But, HYOH:)

DLP
07-13-2014, 10:29
I use a one liter platypus half filled with water and wrapped in puffy jacket. They are both then stuffed into a 12" x 6" pillowcase.

Works great in summer (temps down to mid 40's), but I haven't tried it in colder temps. Water is nice and warm for cleaning up with in the AM.

12trysomething
07-13-2014, 11:29
I go multi-purpose by using my Jacks-r-Better down sleeves. They weigh 3 oz and also can be used as sleeves, or padding on any cold spot. Here is my video which shows them. This was for a shoulder season trip between 25 lows and 70 highs for any day.

http://youtu.be/J-Tg_DSY-eo