PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for electronics to take into the backcountry for note taking

Starchild
05-30-2014, 08:02
What is a good electric journaling device you have found for something like 5 days out w/o recharge (except from carried battery packs)? To be used daily and record the day's activities?

Factors (not in any order) are ease of use, battery life (including carrying extra batteries), weight, durability, compatibility with 'office' type programs or easy transfer to them.

Not for a thru hike, not going to do the big thru hike miles.

Thanks

MDSection12
05-30-2014, 08:09
I think a cell phone kept on airplane mode is probably the best thing out right now. Years ago there was the Palm Pilot craze, but that passed when cell phones surpassed their capabilities. I bet you could track down an old PP for peanuts if you really wanted to.

Coffee
05-30-2014, 08:10
I recently got my first smartphone, a Moto G, and I'm experimenting with the voice to text feature in the Evernote app to see if I'm comfortable leaving my small notebook behind. I'm on the fence for now. Voice to text works ok but I'm not sure I want to dictate my journal, and the process isn't perfected yet. I find typing on a smartphone to be tedious and it interferes with what I'm actually trying to do... Record the days events...

MDSection12
05-30-2014, 08:20
I think pen and paper still have the upper hand here. I need to buy a small hiking journal.

bigcranky
05-30-2014, 08:39
I also like pen and paper. But a smartphone on airplane mode will last at least 4 or 5 days if it's only operated for small periods of time per day. A small tablet, like an iPad mini, should have much longer battery life than a phone.

Starchild
05-30-2014, 08:41
Pen and paper cause unneeded and undesired duplication of the document off trail. I want to get it done once and the final form is electronic, so I want to go direct to electronic.

July
05-30-2014, 10:59
One option to fill your request would be a smartphone. You have phone, gps, mp3, journal and voice record, hiking apps, etc, etc.... Easy to upload during or after hike.

canoe
05-30-2014, 11:17
smart phone. take an extra battery on two. That will curtianly take you through 5days.

BuckeyeBill
05-30-2014, 12:27
I plan to use paper and pen on the trail then edit, spell and grammar check my document when I get home. Not saying I am perfect, but I see a lot of misuse of their and there, as well as many others. By using pen and paper it may jog my memory to add something else the happened on that day.

QHShowoman
05-30-2014, 14:30
Oh gosh. Remember when the device of choice was Pocketmail?!?

I use my iPhone and I keep it on airplane mode. I also bring an external battery pack that will replenish my phone for at least a week, assuming it's kept on airplane mode for most of that time.

ChinMusic
05-30-2014, 14:45
My smartphone (iPhone 5) did everything I would want it to do. I would even dictate to "Voice Memos" while on the fly so I wouldn't forget to mention something when I did my journal later.

Feral Bill
05-30-2014, 14:45
Pen and paper cause unneeded and undesired duplication of the document off trail. I want to get it done once and the final form is electronic, so I want to go direct to electronic. Compare the aggravation of typing anything of substantial length on a tiny touch pad to that of retyping and editing from a paper journal. For me, paper wins.

ChinMusic
05-30-2014, 14:48
He asked for "electronics" in the freaking thread title. I'm just surprised no one has suggested a "hammock"...................

BuckeyeBill
05-30-2014, 14:49
Compare the aggravation of typing anything of substantial length on a tiny touch pad to that of retyping and editing from a paper journal. For me, paper wins.

+1....................

colorado_rob
05-30-2014, 15:34
Compare the aggravation of typing anything of substantial length on a tiny touch pad to that of retyping and editing from a paper journal. For me, paper wins. Have you not seen youngsters swyping? Yikes, they are fast. Faster than I can print, I swear. Not that this has anything to do whatsoever with the original question, which asked about which electronics to use. Sigh.

So sure, simply use a smart phone. Why carry anything extra if you've got a phone anyway? Taking e-notes is great; when you get home, all ready for download to e-journals or whatever.

(again, not that it has anything to do with the original question, but WHY carry a notepad, even at only a few ounces if you're carrying a phone anyway??????).

JumpMaster Blaster
05-30-2014, 15:53
Waiting for the inevitable "why are you wasting your time typing or writing a journal when you should be enjoying the hike and the views and not bringing doggone electronics out here on the trail and by the way hike my hike".

My vote goes for leaving your phone on airplane mode. Grab a Radio Shack battery pack- mine is a 4000mAh & I got 3-4 charges out of it for my Galaxy S3.

i may try the Evernote deal. Always had it, never used it. Believe it or not, my phone is way easier to type on than my iPad. Go figure.

Wise Old Owl
05-30-2014, 20:01
Compare the aggravation of typing anything of substantial length on a tiny touch pad to that of retyping and editing from a paper journal. For me, paper wins.

I hate to break it to ya - if there is a 3g or 4g tower... he talks and it types... Thank's Siri! or any other voice recognition... works pretty good so long as you can keep talking and not stop.

Ahhh Dictation without the costs...

Ok for you old farts like me...

This is mind blowing as the upgrades are already in the phone

http: (http://www.cnet.com/videos/google-now-vs-siri-the-rematch/)<<<Click there.

rocketsocks
05-30-2014, 20:12
...I'd bring a hammock :rolleyes:

July
05-30-2014, 20:20
Option to carrying multiple batteries... http://www.newtrent.com/store/external-battery/powerpak-nt135t.html

Wise Old Owl
05-30-2014, 20:45
...I'd bring a hammock :rolleyes:

There is something seriously wrong with you and ...te he... I like it.

Lone Wolf
05-30-2014, 20:51
What is a good electric journaling device you have found for something like 5 days out w/o recharge (except from carried battery packs)? To be used daily and record the day's activities?

Factors (not in any order) are ease of use, battery life (including carrying extra batteries), weight, durability, compatibility with 'office' type programs or easy transfer to them.

Not for a thru hike, not going to do the big thru hike miles.

Thanks
pencil and paper

Wise Old Owl
05-30-2014, 22:18
microsoft word for smart phone.
http://www.dataviz.com/products/documentstogo/android/

July
05-30-2014, 22:32
Well, I give... Pencil w/Field notes... Swingin eno singlenest> AllTheWay

Wise Old Owl
05-30-2014, 22:47
amazing the original post almost said not pencil and paper... guess it should have been more clear... oh well.

Google the Light Pen "Las Vegas"
waterproof paper..
how about lighted pilot pen...

July
05-31-2014, 03:04
Wooo, coooks, 4 Uuuuuuuu, puuuurrrrrrr!

leaftye
05-31-2014, 03:24
Asus Eee Note EA800. Good battery life. Great for handwriting. Low price. I'd definitely stick with an active digitizer if handwriting is important to you. There are also small tablets like the Dell Venue 8 Pro and the Samsung Galaxy Note, although those are much more expensive. Sony also recently released a notepad/ereader with a Wacom digitizer and eink, but its cost makes the Galaxy Note look cheap.

Starchild
05-31-2014, 06:52
It does seem like the smartphone is still the leading contender. On the thru hike it served me well, even was able to type and hike at the same time, so I know it's capabilities. I just was hoping for something with a bit more screen real-estate and battery life like the above mentioned e-ink tablet, or perhaps a physical keyboard. I was also looking at the discontinues Kindle e-ink with a keyboard that claims a month of battery life.

Theosus
05-31-2014, 13:18
Voice to text feature on the phone? Mine isn't perfect, but it works. A folding or small keyboard would be okay too...you could always just use your camera on video mode and talk to yourself for later, transcribing your adventures when appropriate.

Riocielo
05-31-2014, 16:23
There are many great journaling apps for the smartphone. You can swype or use the voice recognition. Many allow you to later print the journal as well. Most allow you to add pictures and will tag each entry with the location (by latitude and longitude) and even enter weather information.

Using a smart phone would be a quick tool to use, and your journal could be shared with others easily.

SunnyWalker
06-01-2014, 10:48
I like my Ipad Mini. The on screen keyboard is really nice.