PDA

View Full Version : Weather Watches

snarbles
09-28-2005, 09:46
Hi All,

I'm looking into buying a weather watch, that will help me predict weather as well as basic electronic compass. There are a few out there that actually show a predicted forcast, though I'm not sure how accurate they are. Here are a few I'm looking at so far:

Suunto Observer (expensive)
High Gear Axis (cheaper)

Anyone other ideas?

Whistler
09-28-2005, 10:33
I like the High Gear Axis a lot for its weather and alti function, but I think the compass is only for the most general use. I wouldn't use it for intense off-trail navigation, but on the AT, no problem. The altimeter was pretty consistent with the occasional calibration. The weather function has also been pretty consistent for me; it tracks air pressure changes accurately, which is a generally reliable measure. It's also a fair amount smaller and less bulky than most Suunto models I've seen, and I think the displays are a little cleaner than Suunto. But I'm not sure how Suunto models compare other than that. There are some high-quality reviews of the Axis on backpackgeartest.org that are well worth reading.

Also, an excellent tool for Supreme Weather Knowledge is the Brunton ADC Pro. No compass, though.
-Mark

manzana
09-28-2005, 14:06
I love my Suunto. It keeps track of cumulative climbing, so if you are going up and down (lot of PUD's) it sorts out the "up" part. It is pretty amazing what the cumulative climb can show. Anyway... I am trying to compare the change in pressure due to a front compared to a change due to 100 feet of altitude change. Are they about the same? Just guessing.

thanks
APPLE in austin

Whistler
09-28-2005, 15:15
A pressure difference of 10-30mb on either side of a front boundary is pretty common.

I'm not sure about change due to climbing. I know the decrease in air pressure due to elevation gain decreases exponentially. That is, you'll lose more air pressure climbing 100ft at low elevations than you do climbing 100ft at higher elevations. I'm guessing 2-3mb per 100ft at AT-type elevations, but that change is always subject to local temperature, humidity, etc. Anyone else have a better estimate?

-Mark

soulrebel
09-28-2005, 15:26
http://store.hdosport.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=465[/url][url="http://www.coastlineadventures.com/ca1/wristopcomp/niketiming.html"] (http://www.bikesomewhere.com/bikesomewhere.cfm/product/61/2103/6108)

nike oregon 4

costco warehouse sells them for $100

Rainman
09-28-2005, 15:30
I have a Nike ACG Ascent Compass Watch. I used it on the LT last summer. It was definitely a price compromise, but it worked reasonably well. I found that I re-calibrated it often based on actual weather and altitude etc. It semed to "lean" when I re-calibrated it, but was never precisely accurate. It did provide more information from a single tool than I would have had otherwise. At around $80, it was the choice I made based on the price of the others. I got mine from CampMor. http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?memberId=12500226&productId=1733634

Rainman
09-28-2005, 15:32
I have a Nike ACG Ascent Compass Watch. I used it on the LT last summer. It was definitely a price compromise, but it worked reasonably well. I found that I re-calibrated it often based on actual weather and altitude etc. It semed to "lean" when I re-calibrated it, but was never precisely accurate. It did provide more information from a single tool than I would have had otherwise. At around $80, it was the choice I made based on the price of the others. I got mine from CampMor. http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?memberId=12500226&productId=1733634BTW, the one I got was not the lame lime. It was a forest green. I don't know whether it is still available

Rainman
09-28-2005, 16:45
Snarbles, check out this deal. It's a High Gear. I just bought one. http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=39182393&memberId=12500226

manzana
09-28-2005, 17:02
[QUOTE=Whistler]A pressure difference of 10-30mb on either side of a front boundary is pretty common.

IOK, I looked it up. Pressure changes about 1"/1000 feet of altitude. 1" of Hg is about 34 mb. So a powerful front is worth about 900 feet of altitude. Wow.

thanks, APPLE in Austin

Alligator
09-28-2005, 17:05
I have a Suunto Vector. Not sure if the readings are the same on the Observer. There are two things about the weather features that I don't like. For the barometer, it gives a small graph of the change in pressure over the last two time periods, up, flat, or down. However, it will show up at a change of 2 millibars(?), same for down. This is really a small change. So you need to check the log to get a good estimate. The other thing I don't like is having to take the watch off to get an accurate temperature.

If I had a second chance, I would consider the brunton with the wind meter. I would like to know wind speed in the winter to assess wind chill, and I think it does altitude too. There's another company listed at REI too with another similar product.

snarbles
09-28-2005, 17:07
Snarbles, check out this deal. It's a High Gear. I just bought one. http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=39182393&memberId=12500226
Yeah, that's the one I was thinking about getting. Not sure if I'm ready for a full Suunto yet. It also has all the features I'm looking for and is cheap enough.

The bone white isn't my favorite color, but for that kind of savings it might be worth it.

I hear you have to take off the watch to get a decent temperature reading.

Let me know what you think about it.

Rainman
09-28-2005, 17:33
I hear you have to take off the watch to get a decent temperature reading.

Let me know what you think about it.Ya, the temperature ran a little high on the Nike I used last summer. Coming over Killington in the rain I was sure it was about 50 to 55 degrees and the watch said 58. That much "drift" is negligible. I didn't ever take it off because it wasn't important enough. If it was 35 and the watch said 50, I would worry.

RedneckRye
09-28-2005, 20:57
I've had the Highgear Summit for about a year and a half, it has exactly the same features as the Axis, but with a larger face. My only complaint is that the alarm is very quiet, I've slept thru it several times.

snarbles
09-28-2005, 23:08
I'm also looking into the Suunto Vector, since it seems to have the features i'm looking for, but is less than $200

Wonder how you use the barometer to predict rain?

fiddlehead
09-29-2005, 07:14
I have a Suunto and have been wearing it since the day i bought it back in 2001. I changed the battery two times since then and that's all that's gone wrong with it. Although it is not a weather watch, it has the barometer of course and that graph that is programmable for the time span. When hiking with someone else who had the same watch, we would put it on two different time spans for the graph.
The compass is great and i do use it as a navigational tool along with my GPS. I trust the compass as long as i calibrate it every month or so. The altimeter is an important tool when working with maps also.
I guess the model i have is more of a navigational tool than a weather tool but i would buy it again if it ever dies. I like the big numbers too. I don't have to put my reading glasses on to tell the time and it is in style in thailand where i live. I also swim in the salt water sea every day and like i said, i don't ever take it off.
I can't read the model as it wore off the front of the watch. but i think it's a vector???

Whistler
09-29-2005, 07:53
Wonder how you use the barometer to predict rain?Barometer measures change in air pressure. Typically, you'll see bad weather following behind a low pressure front. When the pressure drops, you're more likely to see some rain.

Huge air masses don't mix all that well... We get low pressure fronts that spill down from Canada; these large masses of continental polar air [low P] meet up with moist tropical air masses from the Gulf [high P]. Since they don't mix too well, the warm air usually gets pushed up and over the relatively cooler low pressure front [like when you scrape a hamburger off the grill. The spatula is the low pressure front, the high pressure front is the patty...] So all this warm, moist air keeps getting pushed up the slope and rises and rises until it's eventually at a cool enough altitude to condense and drop down to earth, usually at a fair distance behind the front boundary.

If it doesn't follow that theory, blame it on the jetstream :]

That's the basic version. Weather rules.
-Mark

ed bell
01-24-2006, 00:40
I've had my Suunto Observer for around 3 years, and I have encountered no problems. I like all the features, especially the altimeter and ft/min display. I'm a weather nut so I have the same beef about this watch as Alligator- Temperature function is only good when watch is off your wrist. This is a bad idea to do out in the woods unless you are super careful. Has anyone used a different weather device when backpacking, like a Kestrel Pocket Weather Meter?

Smile
01-24-2006, 07:51
Anybody have any experience with this one?

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=14072809&memberId=12500226

Tin Man
01-24-2006, 08:17
I have limited experience with the Helix - new for 60 mile section in VT last fall. I found the altimeter readings varied quite a bit from actual, even after recalibrating often. It was fair at giving altitude gain and loss and helped me know when I was near tops/bottoms. You have to take it off for temperature readings and alarm. I can only hear the alarm when I put it near my head when I sleep, but then you know whether it is too cold to get out of the sack. :) Overall, I would prefer a device that was more accurate and required less fiddling (calibrating).

snarbles
01-24-2006, 11:25
My long term opinion from wearing the highgear axis for quite some time now is overall a good impression. I think I would have a better opinion on the watch if perhaps I owned a Suunto to compare. The barometric pressure readings are fairly accurate though the weather forecast is often wrong most of the time. It more over gives you an idea of the change in barometric pressure over time rather than a die hard weather predictor.

This watch suffers from what most of the altimeter/barometric watches in that it needs to be recalibrated almost daily and the temperature reading is only accurate while off of the arm for about 30min.

Other than that the bang for buck on the Axis is worth it if you are starting off and getting into these types of altimeter watches.

I cannot verify if the Sunnto would be more or less accurate other than I asked an owner of a Suunto and he said they all have to be recalibrated often.

ed bell
01-24-2006, 12:54
It more over gives you an idea of the change in barometric pressure over time rather than a die hard weather predictor.

Agreed, as far as predicting the weather goes, the watch merely can indicate a trend for weather, not tell you if rain or storm are imminent. Visual clues are really more important.

This watch suffers from what most of the altimeter/barometric watches in that it needs to be recalibrated almost daily and the temperature reading is only accurate while off of the arm for about 30min.

I think this is always going to be the case with these watches beacause of the way an altimeter works. If you have a good quality topo map and access to updated weather data, keeping your watch accurate is an easy task. On my Suunto there is an altimeter/barometer mode that allows me to keep the pressure accurate while I'm at camp overnight. I would think most altimeters do this.

I cannot verify if the Sunnto would be more or less accurate other than I asked an owner of a Suunto and he said they all have to be recalibrated often.

Right on. Thats been my experience. I really enjoy this type gadget.:sun:cool:

JEB
01-24-2006, 14:33
I brushed my Timex Helix against a door molding while turning off a light -- and the crown pulled out! So now, the only function that works is the time, and I can't readjust that!

snarbles
01-24-2006, 14:47
I've completely given up on all Timex products. They just don't last like they use to.

Franco
01-25-2006, 05:58
I like my Casio because it is solar powered so I don't have to think of how many times the various functions have been used. The altimeter works well enough, the barometer tells me what to expect, the alarm is loud and clear and I can turn it on at night as much as I like. I wish it had a stop watch function ( for cooking for example) I have no experience at all with any of the other models.
Franco

orangebug
01-25-2006, 07:49
My first one was a Casio, which worked pretty well except for smallish dial and busy face - hard for me to read.

Timex Helix has problem with a large crwon that pulls out and rotates at the most minor opportunity. Usually, I had the time set wrong, which made planning a bit difficult. You learn how to estimate time via the sun real easy.

The Suunto Vector is my current watch. It is a problem with poor ability to follow a second hand - at least for my work.

Yes, one needs to reset the altitude each AM if you want somewhat accurate readings, but it really isn't that hard to keep the beginning altitude in your memory and calculate relative altitude changes as the day goes on. I find this most helpful in following relief maps along the AT. Count on any of these watches to be somewhat disposable. Bands break and are hard to replace, batteries wear out, and leakage usually follows any attempt to replace the battery.

Gray Blazer
01-25-2006, 14:21
[quote=Whistler]Barometer measures change in air pressure. Typically, you'll see bad weather following behind a low pressure front. When the pressure drops, you're more likely to see some rain.

Huge air masses don't mix all that well... We get low pressure fronts that spill down from Canada; these large masses of continental polar air [low P] meet up with moist tropical air masses from the Gulf [high P]. Since they don't mix too well, the warm air usually gets pushed up and over the relatively cooler low pressure front [like when you scrape a hamburger off the grill. The spatula is the low pressure front, the high pressure front is the patty...] So all this warm, moist air keeps getting pushed up the slope and rises and rises until it's eventually at a cool enough altitude to condense and drop down to earth, usually at a fair distance behind the front boundary.

Hey Mark, good post, but, I think you are really being insensitive to our vegan friends. You could have put "hamburger/veggie burger". (I know, I need to bite my tongue even harder. )
I never thought about it, but, one of those watches would be nice, even if just to know the temperature.
I don't need to know the altitude. I'm either on top of the mountain or I'm not and on the AT you're rarely more than 5000 feet high.
The one positive thing about my knee injury and surgery is I can tell when it's going to rain or if a Pressure Front is near. Seriously.

Whistler
01-25-2006, 20:28
Vegans and PETA advocates, please accept my apologies!

I know several relatives who have 'weather joints.' One day, when I get enough mileage, I may have them too. We'll see.

As it turns out, I don't use alti-watches on the trail much anymore. It's usually more of a novelty device for when I'm around new cities or places. On the trail, I'm rarely interested in the altimeter information until I finish. At the end, it's cool to have a fairly accurate total of how much up and down you did.

For more AT hiking, I might just get one of those orienteering thumb-compasses for basic directional back-up use, and the smallest keychain thermometer I could find. Then leave'em in the pack until I'm curious. When hiking, I'm often curious about the temperature, too. Not sure why, though. I never seem to care back at home...
-Mark