PDA

View Full Version : Summer Bag for my 2015 NOBO Thru Hike (Sea to Summit Traveler TR1?)

JJMorse
05-31-2014, 11:04
Hi all, I will be doing a NOBO thru-hike starting at Springer in Late March. I'm buying some of my gear now so I can get some field experience this year.

I have a Feathered Friends Swallow 20 degree for my shoulder season bag, but I would like to ship that home and use a summer bag when things get hot, because that bag will be overkill during the summer. I will then likely get my FF bag back sometime around the White Mountains. I am a pretty warm sleeping male with high metabolism.

I'm looking at this bag:

http://www.rei.com/product/866775/sea-to-summit-traveller-tr-i-sleeping-bag#specsTab

From browsing, it seems like most people go with a 35 or 40 degree bag/quilt for the summer.
My main question is, do you think this 50 degree (EN Rated, 750-fill duck-down) bag will be sufficient for the summer period?

And do you think a liner (or keeping some of my cold weather layers) would be necessary just in case?
The good thing about this bag is that it's so light that I can continue to carry layers and the combination would still be lighter
than the typical summer bag I've seen. I like that it can be used a quilt and doesn't have a hood.

Thanks for the advice. Other suggestions are welcome too. I am not interested in getting 3 different bags - I just want to have my FF bag and one other bag/quilt and make that work.