PDA

View Full Version : Where is the bubble?

ottercreek_hiker
05-31-2014, 12:03
Anyone know where the southern end of the bubble is now?

johnnybgood
05-31-2014, 12:21
Entering Shenandoah National Park at Rockfish Gap.

RED-DOG
05-31-2014, 13:28
The southern tip of the thru-hikers are in Pearisburg VA area and their is a couple in Hampton TN, you will find thru-hikers through out VA,WVA,PA and southern NJ.

Rolls Kanardly
05-31-2014, 14:23
Pearisburg, VA, 625 miles on a NOBO, 1550 to go.

Ricky&Jack
05-31-2014, 15:57
What? Thru-hikers already left?

Damn this comfy couch!

2015 bound!

map man
05-31-2014, 16:27
The middle of the bubble is in the south part of Shenandoah National Park, as johnnybgood says; the south end of it is nearing Atkins, VA and the north end of it is around Delaware Water Gap, PA. Any thru-hiker outside of that area is among the 15% of farthest along the trail or 15% of least far along when it comes to NOBO thru-hike completers, if this year is like past years.

JeffBliss
06-01-2014, 10:16
I just strolled into Pearisburg yesterday and there are a fair amount of hikers here. I can definitely confirm that I'm still in the bubble here. :) I have a big month ahead of me though! I'm hoping to hit the midpoint by July 1st. Yikes. June is going to be a lot of walking!

O-H-10 Lil Ohio
06-01-2014, 18:16
I spent Friday and Saturday in Shenandoah National Park doing trail magic. I located myself at a campsite in big meadows at site E 181 in the park. I was able to provide trail magic to around 29 thru hikers, and one sectionhiker many of us know Smoky Mountain Trail club . 6 of them decided to stay at my campsite. They were able to get the adjoining campsite next to me , with their permission the following people shared the evening / and Saturday morning eating hot dogs hamburgers ,chips, sodas/water/jucies,,yogurt bananas, and apples. Here is a list of the thru hikers passing through Big Meadows on May 3oth: Spot, Bluejay, Redleg,(linked up w/his sister in SNP) Big Mo, Oconee, Kickapoo,The Kallin Family ,Cartwheel, .Robinhood, Mama Bear, Dad-Starting dok(msp) and their dog Orion, Jett Cat, Wired, High loon, ending the day with Bismarck and Hopper. Hopefully I'll meet up with them again when I do my southbound in mid-july that is all I have...Tic-Toc

ChinMusic
06-01-2014, 18:47
Loved reading the Wired, Bismark and Hopper names. Wish I was there

jimmyjam
06-01-2014, 18:49
I spent Friday and Saturday in Shenandoah National Park doing trail magic. I located myself at a campsite in big meadows at site E 181 in the park. I was able to provide trail magic to around 29 thru hikers, and one sectionhiker many of us know Smoky Mountain Trail club . 6 of them decided to stay at my campsite. They were able to get the adjoining campsite next to me , with their permission the following people shared the evening / and Saturday morning eating hot dogs hamburgers ,chips, sodas/water/jucies,,yogurt bananas, and apples. Here is a list of the thru hikers passing through Big Meadows on May 3oth: Spot, Bluejay, Redleg,(linked up w/his sister in SNP) Big Mo, Oconee, Kickapoo,The Kallin Family ,Cartwheel, .Robinhood, Mama Bear, Dad-Starting dok(msp) and their dog Orion, Jett Cat, Wired, High loon, ending the day with Bismarck and Hopper. Hopefully I'll meet up with them again when I do my southbound in mid-july that is all I have...Tic-Toc

On Saturday I hiked Thorton Gap to Big Meadows and I did pass about 20 some thrus. I do remember the names of Bismarck and Hopper.

Odd Man Out
06-01-2014, 20:31
The middle of the bubble is in the south part of Shenandoah National Park... if this year is like past years.

I wonder how this year has been going on the trail. It was a very cold winter in many parts, but it seems that the thru-hiking season has been relatively calm compared to last year's weather and Norovirus outbreak.

jimmyjam
06-01-2014, 21:53
Birds Nest Hut did have a new sign up warning hikers to wash their hands to stop the spread of a stomach virus . But i have not heard of anyone being sick.

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

Dakota Joe
06-04-2014, 22:06
#bubblecoddlers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChinMusic
06-04-2014, 22:10
From one who was VERY coddled.

JumpMaster Blaster
06-05-2014, 08:25
Good to hear that there's not an outbreak like last year. I guess word got out rather quickly.

Deer Hunter
06-05-2014, 11:55
The middle of the bubble is in the south part of Shenandoah National Park, as johnnybgood says; the south end of it is nearing Atkins, VA and the north end of it is around Delaware Water Gap, PA. Any thru-hiker outside of that area is among the 15% of farthest along the trail or 15% of least far along when it comes to NOBO thru-hike completers, if this year is like past years.

This might be about right. There is still a good number of hikers coming through town here.

Affirmative
06-07-2014, 12:54
As of 6/7/14 thru hikers in the area of Buena Vista, VA to Waynesboro are at the thinnest numbers I have seen on the trail so far. There's a good handful of us but we have noticeably thinned out and I've been doing a lot of hiking while completely alone. The only reason I know there are thrus around me are because of shelter registers and catching up in town.

Rolls Kanardly
06-07-2014, 13:14
The Bubble courtesey of Google Maps

Slo-go'en
06-07-2014, 13:49
Basically, their spread out all over the place, with most in central Virginia.

I just got off the trail at Daleville the other day. I was in something of a void up till there, but the 100+ who left Trail days when I got on at Partnership were starting to catch up. A steady trickle of the faster hikers were passing me right along, but I was able to stay ahead of the bulk of the TD bubble which left Damascus. Those guys are likely mostly between Pearisburg and Daleville right now. Most of those I meet had started during the first two weeks of April and a couple in late March.

Deer Hunter
06-07-2014, 22:17
#bubblecoddlers

DJ, good to hear from ya. I hope your hike is going well.

Texaco
06-08-2014, 06:35
Posting from the Water Gap... Been doing 25-30 daily, most people I pass are mid March starts. There are rumors amongst the few thrus in this area that the bubble is 'a day or two behind' us, although I find that hard to believe as I walked through the bubble a while back.

1,291 down, under 900 to go. I'll follow this thread to hear about any other info on where they are! Numbers sure are dwindling up this way.

Dakota Joe
06-08-2014, 12:56
Deerhunter! Im in The Whites!

Dakota Joe
06-08-2014, 12:57
Fear the horde of locusts

Deer Hunter
06-08-2014, 13:26
Deerhunter! Im in The Whites!

Great! Seems like you were just here a month ago. Make sure you stop in Buena Vista on your way back. I will buy you a good breakfast, lunch or dinner. Will PM you my number.

Dakota Joe
06-08-2014, 13:26
Will do bubba

Jack Tarlin
06-08-2014, 13:50
Harpers Ferry is full of hikers right now and should be much busier in a week. As of 7 June, ATC has reported 100 more Northbound thru-hikers as compared to that date last year, i.e. an increase of something like 20%. It appears like this is going to be a very busy year.

Furlough
06-08-2014, 20:09
Good to hear DJ. You've come a long way since we (Teacher, SnackTime, Trail Wobbles, Boondock and Me) met up with you in Maryland back in April. Keep putting them down and pickin them up.

Furlough

Trillium
06-08-2014, 20:45
Birds Nest Hut did have a new sign up warning hikers to wash their hands to stop the spread of a stomach virus . But i have not heard of anyone being sick.

I'm following a hiker blog that said that there were 2 hikers throwing up at a shelter between the Captain's and Four Pines Hostel on the evening of 6/1 who had been hiking sick all day. The hiker further stated that he had heard of a number of other hikers getting sick, some having to go into town to a clinic.

lemon b
06-09-2014, 10:17
You doing a yoyo Dakota Joe ? Don't forget to smell the roses.