PDA

View Full Version : Hammock Bliss hammocks?

Oracle
09-28-2005, 14:11
Has anyone tried the Hammock Bliss line of hammocks? Specifically, the one listed here:

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=39148948&memberId=12500226

I'm considering ordering one of these, mainly to try out hammock camping at a lower expense than ordering one of the Hennessy or Speer hammocks. I'm over 6 feet tall and weigh around 240lbs, so this would be a significantly less expensive option than the others, while still being able to accomodate my frame and weight.

I've been a lightweight tent camper for a while, and I tried tarp camping, but the bugs and other critters (my face was "investigated" by a salamander in the middle of the night) made that a less than ideal situation for me. This setup would allow me to drop a full pound out of my gear (the hammock plus the tarp that I currently have would weight 31 oz. total, vs. 48 ounces for my current tent).

Any thoughts, ideas, criticisms?

flyfisher
09-28-2005, 14:28
Has anyone tried the Hammock Bliss line of hammocks? Specifically, the one listed here:

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=39148948&memberId=12500226

I saw one at the SEHHA campout last weekend. It looked like it was constructed well. Its owner brought it and a HH. He slept in the HH.

There was no tarp. The mosquito net was not suspended over the hammock, but simply hung in the hammock. I did not get in to rate it's comfort level.

Seeker
09-29-2005, 02:10

I'm considering ordering one of these, mainly to try out hammock camping at a lower expense than ordering one of the Hennessy or Speer hammocks. I'm over 6 feet tall and weigh around 240lbs, so this would be a significantly less expensive option than the others, while still being able to accomodate my frame and weight.

I've been a lightweight tent camper for a while, and I tried tarp camping, but the bugs and other critters (my face was "investigated" by a salamander in the middle of the night) made that a less than ideal situation for me. This setup would allow me to drop a full pound out of my gear (the hammock plus the tarp that I currently have would weight 31 oz. total, vs. 48 ounces for my current tent).

one thought. don't know how comfortable they are compared to Hennessy or Speer... only ever tried a Hennessy. love it.

one idea. you might get hold of them and ask if you can buy one on a trial basis... use it once in your yard, return it if you don't like it... shipping both ways is liable to be cheaper than the one from campmor, so if you don't like it, you end up spending less in the long run. not sure what HH or Speer's return policies are, but others will enlighten me, i'm sure.

side note-so, you didn't like the salamander on your face? i didn't much like the bugs i met in my tarp either... so now i'm a HH fanatic/extremist... "death to tents!'' LOL :D

Crash
09-29-2005, 09:57
The pix on Campmor's site appears that you will not be sleeping very flat like the
HH's.

Just Jeff
09-29-2005, 10:16
Check out the Amazonas for a cheap hammock, too. I don't think I've every heard anyone complain about the comfort. They don't come with tarps or bug nets included, though you can get a separate bugnet that surrounds the entire hammock.

DLFrost
09-29-2005, 21:30
[...]
[...]
I'm using an Eagle Creek Double, which is virtually the same as the Bliss Double listed at CampMor. I like it because it's wider than fabric ones you'd make yourself. Hang it a bit loosely and you can lie across the midline, and so lie flatter. Only downside is I'll have to attach HH syle side bungie tie-outs to keep the loose fabric out of the way.

You can make your own bug netting by sewing together two lengths of noseeum netting. Make it long enough so that you can wrap/tie each end around the ends of the hammock. The tension will hold the edges close to the hammock (banishing bugs), but you can easily sweep it out of the way to get in or out. This opens up your hammock choices because you don't have to get one with a built-in/attaching net.

Doug Frost

flyfisher
09-30-2005, 10:12
I'm using an Eagle Creek Double, which is virtually the same as the Bliss Double listed at CampMor. I like it because it's wider than fabric ones you'd make yourself. Hang it a bit loosely and you can lie across the midline, and so lie flatter.

Doug Frost

Doug,

Was that the Eagle Creek that I helped you hang last weekend? I wish I would have taken a quick lie-down in it. Another opportunity missed...

Oracle
09-30-2005, 17:02
Well, I went ahead and ordered it, and the tree straps that go with it. Once it comes in, I'll put it up in the front yard with the tarp over it, see what I need to change/adjust, and see how well it works out. If it works out without too much problems, I'll give it a real test run when I go camping in north GA next month. I'll post how it works out after the front yard test and after I go camping with it.

DLFrost
10-03-2005, 14:02
Doug,

Was that the Eagle Creek that I helped you hang last weekend? I wish I would have taken a quick lie-down in it. Another opportunity missed...
Nope, I had an HH (but never put the tarp up over it). DJ's hammock next door was an Eagle Creek or one of its imitators, but I don't know if it was a double. I had my double in the trunk though, so you could have tired it... :datz

Doug Frost

DLFrost
10-03-2005, 14:08
Well, I went ahead and ordered it, and the tree straps that go with it. [...] I'll post how it works out after the front yard test and after I go camping with it.
Good luck. Be sure to mess with hanging it different ways (tighter, looser, etc.) in practice so you get a good feeling for how the thing behaves. And always watch your knotting/tie-off work so you don't become a groundling during the night.

Doug Frost

Oracle
10-08-2005, 16:15
The Hammock Bliss Hammock came in a few days ago, but this morning was the first opportunity that I've had to set it up, which I did, in my front yard.

It uses 6mm climber's rope instead of spectra line for it's tie-offs. They seem to work very well, although they could be a bit longer to give more length for knotting/lashing (the rope is easily replaceable, so I may do that at some point in the future with longer lines). I looked at the videos on the Hennessey site to get an idea of how to best use the tree straps (Hammock Bliss tree straps seem to be identical to Hennessey's) and tie the knotting/lashing, and the "figure 8's" that are used in the Hennessey videos work well for this hammock as well.

I tried hanging it a number of different ways, giving it more slack, less slack, etc., and found that the hammock, while being quite secure and able to hold my weight (240lbs.) without any problem, has a lot of stretch to it. So, I found it best to hang it relatively high and tight, as it will stretch quite a bit lower (everytime I hung it lower or slacker, it usually hit the ground when I got into it).

The mosquito netting is set up extremely well, IMHO. There are two double-sided zippers on one side, and they make it very easy to open and close the netting enclosure when both inside and outside the hammock. The mosquito netting is held off your face by separate tie out lines that have their own little velcro-closure pockets sewn into the mosquito netting (the pockets are made of the same nylon material as the hammock), you just open up the velcro pocket, pull out the line, and tie it to the tree (there are two of these little pockets, one for each side).

I set up my Integral Designs 5x8 siltarp as well, and while it works, it's almost too small for this application. I set it up on the diagonal (so that I could tie it out with only 2 stakes), and while it does fully cover the hammock, it does so just barely. I'll have to be careful setting up with this one in rainy weather, or (more likely) just get a bigger silnylon tarp. But this one will work for now.

I'm pretty pleased with the Hammock Bliss hammock. It seems like it will work well without much problem, and is no more difficult to set up than an average non-freestanding tent (actually, it's a bit easier). When I lay asymmetrically in the hammock, putting my foot near one edge and the other near a shoulder, it's extremely comfortable and gives me plenty of room to stretch out, lay on my side, or in virtually any other position I might want to. I'll be taking it out hiking/camping for the first time on the 22nd, and I'll put up another post about how that goes afterwards.

I don't think I'll be going back to a tent. This is sooo much more comfortable than the hard, cold ground or shelter floor.