PDA

View Full Version : How long have you spent outside?

fsacb3
06-01-2014, 06:05
As I get older, speed and high mileage don't excite me. I'm inspired and interested by people who have spent long periods of time hiking or living outdoors, just as I'm inspired by those who have done a job or craft for 30 years, or a couple that has been married for 50.

Anyone spent more than 7 or 8 months out in the woods, hiking or camping? More than a year? (Brief stays under a roof are ok. If you take a month off, you're starting over.) Any observations you'd care to share? I guess I'm wondering if there are stages you reach along the way and what makes long trips different than shorter ones. Does it keep evolving or does it plateau at a certain point? For example, I don't get truly get into the flow of hiking until maybe a month in. At two months it gets deeper and my mind is slower and more relaxed and towns start to cause anxiety. What happens after a really long time? Is there a breaking point where you need to return to civilization? Do you notice any other changes or phases, subtle or obvious? Does readjustment to "normal" life get harder?

Lyle
06-01-2014, 08:08
Probably came close to your criteria a couple of times in my somewhat younger days.

First was on a cross-country backpacking trip organized by the fledgling American Hiking Society back in 1980-81 called Hikanation. I joined the group on July 2, 1980 in Bryce Canyon National Park, Utah. Backpacked with them until May 27, 1981 when we hiked into the Atlantic ocean at Lewes, DE. I did take about a month off to work and to go home for Christmas that year.

Second time was when I worked for Vision Quest (AT passes by one of their facilities on South Mountain in PA) from 1988 to 1993. For about two years of that time I worked at their wilderness camp outside of Reading, PA. For those two years I either slept in a canvas TeePee or would bed down on a picnic table under a dining tarp. Year-round, right through the winter. Every night was spent in a sleeping bag (or two, during the winter).

Great way to live.

fsacb3
06-01-2014, 08:14
Dam,n Lyle, both those experiences sound amazing. Logistical question about hikanation: did you just walk on roads? How did that many people manage to do that safely? And where did you all sleep at night?

But what about the second part of my question? How is it spending a long time outside? Would you recommend it?

rafe
06-01-2014, 08:18
Eight days. Transit time from Katahdin Stream campground to Monson in 1990. Seven days in 2010, from Abol to Monson.

fsacb3
06-01-2014, 08:29
Eight days. Transit time from Katahdin Stream campground to Monson in 1990. Seven days in 2010, from Abol to Monson.

Uh, did you read my post or just the title?

imscotty
06-01-2014, 08:36
You got me Googling Hikeanation Lyle. That must have been quit an experience.

Lyle
06-01-2014, 08:39
Well, to answer some of your questions, I believe how you adapt to this type of lifestyle will vary tremendously from individual to individual. I'm generally a loner type person. It's not that I don't like company some times, but I am quite comfortable being alone for extended stretches. I'm not aware of any set "stages" I went through, but gradually, and without any kind of angst, it became very normal. Sure, going 30 days without a formal shower was a bit odd when I thought about it, but in practice, occasions swimming and such took the place rather admirably.

It was strange not driving for close to a year, I enjoy driving, so I did miss that, but not necessarily for the mobility. I just enjoy driving. After the year of hiking, it truly did become second nature in your mind that most anyplace was within walking distance. To this day, when someone asks that question, my answer is "How much time do you have?" That is a legitimate question, not just being a wise guy.

Missing "civilization"? Some aspects, occasionally. But they are always available, just walk into a city or town, get your fill. I didn't miss it as a steady diet, but then again, I'm a loner, so I don't party all that much anyway. I found it liberating to be without TV as a constant distraction. Today, I have had no cable/satellite/antennae for about 6 years now. Don't really miss it.

Regarding returning to civilization, I hear of folks who say they have trouble adjusting. I've never felt any anxiety over that. Yeah, sometimes the rapid pace and demands on our time when we have to maintain a tight schedule are a pain, but they are a pain at any time. I think, we have lived so many years in "civilization", and it is so ingrained in our minds, that we fall right back into the routines quite normally. Kinda like riding a bike, it takes very little time to get back into it after being away. To our benefit, it works the opposite also. The next time we go back into the "wilderness" those skills and that comfort level comes back quickly as well. At least it does for me.

One of the major gifts extended backpacking has given me is the knowledge of how truly happy and comfortable I can be with so little possessions. This is really comforting to me as I move toward retirement and fixed income living. Something too expensive? - eliminate it, no problem. I always marvel at how miserable homeless folks sometimes appear. I never understand why they choose to live that life in a major city, when they could just travel around and get the public's blessings. Guess it's all in what we know and have experienced, but If I ever found myself homeless, I would take off on another cross-country hike and be perfectly happy.

Lyle
06-01-2014, 08:57
Dam,n Lyle, both those experiences sound amazing. Logistical question about hikanation: did you just walk on roads? How did that many people manage to do that safely? And where did you all sleep at night?

But what about the second part of my question? How is it spending a long time outside? Would you recommend it?

The goal was to show the need for more long distance trails. We would hike trails if there were any near our route. If no trails, we would hike two-track or forest service roads, gravel roads, secondary highways, or sometimes major highways. Whenever we were visible to the public, it meant there was a dearth of hiking trails in the area.

We were all backpackers, at least we were after a few weeks, so we did not hike as one group. We would spread out, often 3 days, sometimes more apart. There was usually a designated campsite if we were following roads or hiking through private property sections. That just meant that we had formal permission to camp there and that there would be water. If you didn't make it to the official campsite, you were on your own for these things. Whenever hiking through forest or wilderness, it was like any other backpacking, dispersed camping in small groups.

One of the unique things about Hikanation, was the fact that when we hit a town, we would have instant family and friends available to us. We truly did get close in that regard. But found that the townsfolk were so overwhelmingly open and helpful, it was amazing. These were mostly towns that had probably never seen a backpacker hiking through, so we were a curiosity and the locals went way out of their way to meet us and offer assistance.

Our on-hike leader was a retired Air Force Colonel, so he could often arrange for us to take rest days at a National Guard Armory, or sometimes in a High School gymnasium where we could get showers. He would also travel ahead of the group through the "civilized" portions and warn the small town groceries of our estimated arrival. He would let them know the common hiker foods that they might want to stock up prior to our arrival. Even with these warnings, we would usually wipe out their supplies.

It was great.

Lyle
06-01-2014, 09:36
You got me Googling Hikeanation Lyle. That must have been quit an experience.

Here's a link to a 30 minute or so video. This was put together last summer for a reunion we had. It's mostly people shots, but does show plenty of the scenery as well. Also incorporated is a short section in the middle that is a tribute to those hikers who had passed away as of last August. Some of the image quality leaves a little to be desired because these were old slides scanned at various qualities, but they still convey the essence.

Enjoy it.

Lyle
06-01-2014, 09:36
Here's a link to a 30 minute or so video. This was put together last summer for a reunion we had. It's mostly people shots, but does show plenty of the scenery as well. Also incorporated is a short section in the middle that is a tribute to those hikers who had passed away as of last August. Some of the image quality leaves a little to be desired because these were old slides scanned at various qualities, but they still convey the essence.

Enjoy it.

Guess I should have included the link. :)

http://vimeo.com/72259504

fiddlehead
06-01-2014, 10:30
I worked winters and hiked for many years in the other 3 seasons.
Did some hikes alone, some with others.
I believe the "at one with nature" feeling was at it's highest when I spent a month or so, out there by myself.
Once when I did 600 miles of the CDT alone, and once when I did 310 days of hiking in a row with one other hiker.
Both times I had some amazing wildlife experiences where we both were totally at ease with each other.
I won't go into detail, but, I really felt pretty close to that wild feeling.

I still go into the jungles here in Asia whenever I get the chance, but the call of my family (kid) is so strong now, I doubt I could get that release again.

It's a real freedom feeling and I wonder (and hope) I can somehow get there again in this life.
I believe it would take another thru-hike just to get even close to it.
And preferably, one on the CDT or Northwest Passage trail or something without people.

People tend to screw it up.

Bronk
06-01-2014, 10:41
It defintely changes your perspective. Not just living outdoors either, but walking everywhere you go, and of course the isolation and different pace.

I remember coming down out of the smokies into Newfound Gap and the parking lot was PACKED with hundreds of tourists. There was a solid line of people going up the trail for probably a mile. My first instinct was to just get the hell out of there. I didn't want to be around that many people. I had only seen people in small groups for a couple of hundred miles. And I had only been on the trail for about 4 weeks at that point.

Something similar happened to me a few years ago. I had lived in large cities for several years and had moved to a rural area where "traffic" meant the main stoplight in town where you'd wait for maybe a minute and then be on your way. I hadn't been out of that rural area in about 3 years when I traveled by car to St Paul, MN and once I got into the city I was just overwhelmed by all of the large buildings and cars and streetlights everywhere. It felt like the whole world was closing in around me.

When I got off the trail after my 4 month hike on the AT I moved to a major city and life got back to normal...then some months later I got in a car wreck. The car was totaled and I already had plans to move out of state within a few weeks. So I was reluctant to buy a car and register it when I was only to have to turn around and do it all again when I got to the new state. So I took a cab to work for the next couple weeks. And I also did a lot of walking...down to the corner store or the drug store to pick up things I needed. And it struck me that in all of the months I had been living there I never really got to know the neighborhood because I was driving everywhere. It seemed so much different from the perspective of the sidewalk, out walking around.

Ricky&Jack
06-01-2014, 11:25
i wonder if we have many Vietnam vets here. If so, Im waiting for their reply of 7 years etc.

Venchka
06-01-2014, 13:38
i wonder if we have many Vietnam vets here. If so, Im waiting for their reply of 7 years etc.

7 years was not the not the normal tour in Vietnam. I suggest reading, or audio version, "Matterhorn" for a good idea of what combat in Vietnam was like.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

Ricky&Jack
06-01-2014, 13:39
Sorry, I didn't mean to sound ignorant or sarcastic. All I know is from movies, unfortunately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Venchka
06-01-2014, 13:50
Sorry, I didn't mean to sound ignorant or sarcastic. All I know is from movies, unfortunately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No worries. By all means, read or listen to "Matterhorn". A friend loaned me the audio version. I got hooked.

Wayne

rafe
06-01-2014, 14:09
I remember coming down out of the smokies into Newfound Gap and the parking lot was PACKED with hundreds of tourists.

Uh huh. I remember that moment as well, I hadn't seen that many cars or people in one place... since the day before my hike started, weeks before. But I think I had put in at least two nights indoors by then: one at Neels, and another at Rainbow Springs.

Roll Tide
06-01-2014, 19:24
18 months in Cambodia along the Ho Chi Mien Trail during the Viet Nam war. I was a Para Weatherman in the Air Force reporting weather for the then secret bombing of Cambodia by B52's.

Venchka
06-01-2014, 19:30
18 months in Cambodia along the Ho Chi Mien Trail during the Viet Nam war. I was a Para Weatherman in the Air Force reporting weather for the then secret bombing of Cambodia by B52's.

Thank you for your service.

Wayne

RED-DOG
06-02-2014, 13:19
I always thought it would be pretty cool to spend 2-5 years out in the bush maybe in the backcountry of Alaska or the Canadian Rockies, you know go out and build my own cabin and live of the land kinda thing, but to answer the question 8 months i lived in the northern rockies of Wyoming i lived with a close friend when i was 22 years old i helped him build up his Homestead from scratch, I mean straight up from RAW land, it was very interesting and educational experience.