PDA

View Full Version : Good 4 day section hike in NC?

HonorOFeagle
09-28-2005, 14:45
Hi everyone,

I'm going to be working at a trade show in High Point, NC this fall, and I'm hoping I can find someplace to get a good 4 day section hike in from Oct 28th - Nov 1st. I would like it to be someplace within reasonable distance to the Triangle, but if I had to rent a car to get there I would be fine with that too. What is the closest portion of the AT, or is there other trail systems nearby worthy of consideration? Thanks. Any advice in the next 2 days would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!

Regards,

Jason

orangebug
09-28-2005, 14:48
Mountain to Sea trail. The Uwharra Mountain area. Those might be good to start looking at. I suspect I misspelled Uhwarra. It is a mountain chain that predates the Appalachains and are very eroded near the Triangle.

Skyline
09-28-2005, 15:37
I'm starting the Foothills Trail (along the SC/NC border, close to GA) on Sunday. It is perhaps one of the East's Best Kept Secrets. Mountains, rivers, waterfalls everywhere, mostly good trail, very remote, no shelters. Google Foothills Trail to find photos and journals or go to the official site at: www.foothillstrail.org.

I haven't done the math, but I'd bet the FHT would be within 2-3 hours of High Point.

chris
09-28-2005, 17:37
Consider the AT through the Smokys. The fall colors will be past prime, but still very good. You can cover the whole distance in 4 days, but this might be a bit ambitious. Instead, consider starting at the Greenbrier trailhead. Hike up to Mount LeConte and spend the night in the shelter there, making sure to take in sunset from the cliffs. Then, hike down (actually, down and up) to the AT. Head east (NOBO) and hike to Pecks corner for the night. Next day, continue on the AT to Mount Cammerer. Take in the site and return on the AT to stay at Cosby Knob. Day 4 is long: Down to the Old Settlers trail and then west on it to Greenbrier.

To alleviate the long day at the end, you could stay at Icewater shelter on the AT instead of LeConte. Then, hike to Tricorner the next day. Day 3 you hit Mt Cammerer and drop down the camp where the Old Settlers trail starts. This leaves you with a more manageable final day.

C-Stepper
09-29-2005, 08:43
Hi everyone,

I'm going to be working at a trade show in High Point, NC this fall, and I'm hoping I can find someplace to get a good 4 day section hike in from Oct 28th - Nov 1st. I would like it to be someplace within reasonable distance to the Triangle, but if I had to rent a car to get there I would be fine with that too. What is the closest portion of the AT, or is there other trail systems nearby worthy of consideration? Thanks. Any advice in the next 2 days would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!

Regards,

Jason(just a picky note, you won't be in the "triangle", you'll be in the "triad"...for those that don't live here, there's a BIG difference, just take my word for it, it's weird for a non-native to explain it. ;) ) I live near Raleigh, part of the Triangle...I'm about 1 1/2 hours from High Point. There's not much available for overnighting around here, the closest area being 4+hours away.

How far are you willing to travel? There's nothing short of 2 hours drive that will involve overnights, and the only overnighter that close is a hike that most of us can walk in a day (but we can stretch it out...stretching to 4 days would involve lots of reading material).

Try mapquest, the directions page, to see approximate driving times from High Point to where you are looking to go.

Uwharrie is an option, and it's located about 30 min south of Asheboro, NC, near Troy. I've hiked it 3 times...this is a 20.5 mi hike, and it's pretty in fall and winter after the leaves drop, which they will have (just barely) by the time you come down here. Highest mountain is 900 feet. There are nice campsites and it isn't too crowded (though the Scouts will be about on weekends).

Both the Foothills Trail (northern terminus) and the AT in the Smokies (I've driven to Fontana) are 5 hours from Apex, so they are 3 1/2 to 4 hours from you. I haven't driven to Grayson Highlands, but they are likely your closest option if you want the REAL mountains and you are set on the AT.

HonorOFeagle
09-29-2005, 09:57
(just a picky note, you won't be in the "triangle", you'll be in the "triad"...for those that don't live here, there's a BIG difference, just take my word for it, it's weird for a non-native to explain it. ;) ) I live near Raleigh, part of the Triangle...I'm about 1 1/2 hours from High Point. There's not much available for overnighting around here, the closest area being 4+hours away.

How far are you willing to travel? There's nothing short of 2 hours drive that will involve overnights, and the only overnighter that close is a hike that most of us can walk in a day (but we can stretch it out...stretching to 4 days would involve lots of reading material).

Try mapquest, the directions page, to see approximate driving times from High Point to where you are looking to go.

Uwharrie is an option, and it's located about 30 min south of Asheboro, NC, near Troy. I've hiked it 3 times...this is a 20.5 mi hike, and it's pretty in fall and winter after the leaves drop, which they will have (just barely) by the time you come down here. Highest mountain is 900 feet. There are nice campsites and it isn't too crowded (though the Scouts will be about on weekends).

Both the Foothills Trail (northern terminus) and the AT in the Smokies (I've driven to Fontana) are 5 hours from Apex, so they are 3 1/2 to 4 hours from you. I haven't driven to Grayson Highlands, but they are likely your closest option if you want the REAL mountains and you are set on the AT.

I'm thinking that renting a car is certainly an option, and I would then drive to an airport after I get off the trail. I'm thinking if I have to rent a car anyway, I might as well make it to the AT. Of the last 3 you mentioned (Foothills, Smokies, or Grayson Highlands) which one do you think would be closest to a major airport, and not "hardcore mountain hiking"? Thanks so much for your input BTW.

Jason

Lone Wolf
09-29-2005, 10:06
Tri-Cities Airport is about 65 miles from Grayson Highlands. When and if you decide to hike this area, PM or e-mail me. I can help with shuttling if you need it. Real cheap.

HonorOFeagle
09-29-2005, 10:45
I'm starting the Foothills Trail (along the SC/NC border, close to GA) on Sunday. It is perhaps one of the East's Best Kept Secrets. Mountains, rivers, waterfalls everywhere, mostly good trail, very remote, no shelters. Google Foothills Trail to find photos and journals or go to the official site at: www.foothillstrail.org.

I haven't done the math, but I'd bet the FHT would be within 2-3 hours of High Point.

This trail definately has me thinking now, could you give me sort of a "journal review" when you return? Thanks a bunch.

HonorOFeagle
09-29-2005, 11:31
Tri-Cities Airport is about 65 miles from Grayson Highlands. When and if you decide to hike this area, PM or e-mail me. I can help with shuttling if you need it. Real cheap.

Shuttling would be GREAT!!!! I'll definately be PMing you this evening after I get out of work!

Jason

The Solemates
09-29-2005, 11:58
The Tri-Cities airport is near Bristol, in NE TN. The Triad is in High Point, NC, in N-central NC. The Triangle is in Raleigh/Durham, in NE-central NC.

All of these areas are quite a distance apart from one another.

The Solemates
09-29-2005, 11:59
This trail definately has me thinking now, could you give me sort of a "journal review" when you return? Thanks a bunch.

This trail is great. Have hiked it 3 times now. But its not exactly that close to High Point, NC.

Gray Blazer
09-29-2005, 12:07
You can do a nice loop if you leave your car at Big Creek Campground near Davenport gap (A safe place to leave your car). Hike up Mount Sterling with an incredible elevation gain in some 4 to 6 miles. Great place to camp with an old firetower. It is also a good place to see Fall leaves. From there, hike the Sterling Ridge trail to Balsam corner and then hike to AT and spend the night at Tri-corner shelter. Next day hike the Great Smokies ridge with incredible views and take the Camel trail down to Walnut Bottoms and spend the night there. Beautiful. Next day follow Big Creek back to where you started. The !st day will kick your a--. but after that it's a breeze.

HonorOFeagle
10-06-2005, 05:44
You can do a nice loop if you leave your car at Big Creek Campground near Davenport gap (A safe place to leave your car). Hike up Mount Sterling with an incredible elevation gain in some 4 to 6 miles. Great place to camp with an old firetower. It is also a good place to see Fall leaves. From there, hike the Sterling Ridge trail to Balsam corner and then hike to AT and spend the night at Tri-corner shelter. Next day hike the Great Smokies ridge with incredible views and take the Camel trail down to Walnut Bottoms and spend the night there. Beautiful. Next day follow Big Creek back to where you started. The !st day will kick your a--. but after that it's a breeze.

Hi Bear Bait,

I'm still researching things right now, so can you tell me what region this is in, and an estimate of what the total mileage on the trail would be? I'm trying to stay within reasonable distance of the Tri-Cities Airport over by Bristol, because I figure that would be the easiest to fly out of on my return. Thanks.

Jason

Gray Blazer
10-06-2005, 07:44
I'm estimating about 35 miles. It might not work for you because it is on the East side of the Smokies and at least 3-4(?) or more hours from Bristol near Davenport Gap on I-40. Maybe someone can give a better estimate of the hours and miles from Bristol. Let me know if I can help you more. Wherever you go, I'm sure it will be nice. When it gets colder, I know people like to hike and camp in the Laurel Fork Gorge which is not to far from Bristol. The Roan Mountain area is beautiful and close, also.

Skyline
10-06-2005, 12:47

Off the FHT, staying in Black Mt. NC for a few days, gotta make this quick. Trail is spectacular and alternately very hard and very easy. Lots of trailhead options except the middle 35+/- miles where there is only boat access a couple places. More blowdowns than I had hoped for, but otherwise in good shape. Maybe more later...

sliderule
10-06-2005, 20:55
I'm estimating about 35 miles. It might not work for you because it is on the East side of the Smokies and at least 3-4(?) or more hours from Bristol near Davenport Gap on I-40. Maybe someone can give a better estimate of the hours and miles from Bristol. .Bristol to Big Creek is under two hours driving time. Interstate almost all the way.
And Asheville NC and Knoxville TN both have airline service.

tiamalle
10-10-2005, 21:15
HonorOFeagle,
If you hike near Franklin,NC,Chance we can help with shuttles,lodging or advice,Ron