PDA

View Full Version : Clothing for Colorado CDT in July?

bamboo bob
06-01-2014, 17:40
I just did a short trip in southern Vermont and froze my butt in 45 degree and rain. I was under clothed by an order of magnitude and happy I had my heaviest bag, But that got me thinking about clothing for July on the Colorado CDT. I immediately took all my maybe clothes and stuffed them in my clothes bag. I would rather be warm than lite but have no solid idea of what's right. Everything I read talks about the San Juans in June or October not July. Anybody have an idea about this. My wife wants to bring microspikes too but so far I'm not buying it. I'm planning on leaving Chama 7/3. Thanks.

colorado_rob
06-01-2014, 18:41
Epic snow levels in Northern CO this year, I would not dismiss the microspikes off hand. Just returned from a snow climb near Copper mtn; yikes, snowshoes or crampons the whole way. this all being said, July is a wonderful time in CO generally, just be ready for afternoon thundershowers. Even though it is the warmest month in CO, the evenings get really cool, more so, of course, the higher you camp. I would take an ultralight down jacket of some sort. I carry a Montbell, but there are plenty of others. Long pants as well; I use zip-offs, along with a second leg layer or some sort; I carry dri duck rain pants for warmth in the evenings or wind protection when high on a ridge. This is also the rain jacket I carry in CO (dri ducks).

So, my total layers are: Upper; base layer (long sleeve zip-neck smart wool), microfleece second layer (zip neck), UL down sweater and dri duck rain jacket (mostly used for evening warmth). Bottoms are my zip-offs and dri duck rain pants. FWIW, that is the total clothing kit that serves me well in CO in July (and mid-late June & August into early September).

bearcreek
06-01-2014, 20:08
Here is my latest gear list and weight calculator. http://www.bearcreeksurvey.com/Data/JBGL&C.xls Everything needed to stay comfortable in Colorado during typical summer and fall months is there without sacrificing comfort. (At least my idea of comfort). July is usually beautiful weather. Just be sure you are prepared for rain/snow/grapple which can occur almost any day of the year. I doubt that you will need microspikes but time will tell. The San Juans are melting fast right now, and the snowpack in the south was below normal to begin with. Northern Colorado is a different story, but if you start at the south in early July you won't hit that for 270 miles or so, which will give you two weeks of additional melting. I guess I would be prepared to bring microspikes and keep an eye on hiker reports. I would monitor the Colorado Trail forums - when the CT hikers start making it over Georgia Pass then the CDT should be good as well.

colorado_rob
06-01-2014, 20:15
It just occurred to me from Bearcreek's post that you are going NOBO, duh, sorry. I agree: lose the microspikes if you're starting down south heading north. By the time you get to the heavier snow places (from mid-state north) the last of the deep stuff should not be any problem whatsoever.

bamboo bob
06-02-2014, 05:43
Thanks. that's all very helpful. If I take out the cloths I just put in our list and weights are within a standard deviation. Thank you.