PDA

View Full Version : Mt. LeConte

tnhiker22
06-02-2014, 09:49
I got to hike Mt. LeConte Saturday for the second time. The first time I went it was November and all of the leaves had fallen. It's amazing how different the trail was this time. I also got to check out the lodge office and cafeteria (it was closed the last time I went). Once we got to the top it was cloudy, but it was still worth it.

Arch Rock

Alum Cave

Eye Of The Needle

Edge of Cliff Top

High Top

View from Myrtle Point

HooKooDooKu
06-02-2014, 10:20
I was out hiking GSMNP Memorial Weekend. When we stopped by the tower at Clingman's Dome, the top of LeConte was cloud covered then as well.

Nice shot of Arch Rock. Lighting in a spot like that is tough (hence the reason I think the only shots of I have of it are both sides viewing the openings rather than from inside looking out).
But the one shot you're missing is a view of the creek before you get to Arch Rock.

Since you've displayed your pictures in the order you took them, and I see no pictures of the return trip, I assume you came back down the Alum Cave Trail.

I've never hiked up and back from LeConte in one day. We have yearly reservations at the lodge, and we like trying to hike in one trail and out another. The Boulevard is our favorite for hiking in, with Alum Cave being our favorate for hiking out.

tnhiker22
06-02-2014, 10:40
I was out hiking GSMNP Memorial Weekend. When we stopped by the tower at Clingman's Dome, the top of LeConte was cloud covered then as well.

Nice shot of Arch Rock. Lighting in a spot like that is tough (hence the reason I think the only shots of I have of it are both sides viewing the openings rather than from inside looking out).
But the one shot you're missing is a view of the creek before you get to Arch Rock.

Since you've displayed your pictures in the order you took them, and I see no pictures of the return trip, I assume you came back down the Alum Cave Trail.

I've never hiked up and back from LeConte in one day. We have yearly reservations at the lodge, and we like trying to hike in one trail and out another. The Boulevard is our favorite for hiking in, with Alum Cave being our favorate for hiking out.

Yes, we hiked backed down Alum Cave. I've heard The Boulevard is a nice trail to come in on and I want to try it.

a few more pics of Arch Rock (my phone is not the best camera, sorry if blurry)

HooKooDooKu
06-02-2014, 11:53
I've heard The Boulevard is a nice trail to come in on and I want to try it.
Boulevard is great for the views... You're ridge walking, and in several places, the trees open up and you get some great views.

One thing that's really cool is that there is a spot between High Top and the back country shelter where you can see the New Found Gap Parking lot, and you can follow, with your eyes, from that parking lot the ridge line you walked to get to the top of LeConte.

But the other thing to keep in mind is to not let the fact you start at an elevation of about 5,000' fool you. It's a pretty rough hike. You've got to climb 1,000' along the AT just to get to the Boulevard... and during that climb, there are a couple of spots where you stop climbing and actually go down hill for a short while... just enough to fool you into thinking your climb to the Boulevard is over. Then, once you reach the Boulevard, it almost immediately begins with a 600' descend... meaning you've got to climb that last 600' all over again. Then, about half way between AT and High Top, there's another 250'+ descend followed by several ups-n-downs. Then the final mile push-for-the-top is as steep at the same section of Alum Cave trail. So while the path from New Found Gap to High Point is a NET 1,500' elevation gain, your cumulative elevation gain is nearly on par with Alum Cave Trail.

But the Boulevard is worth it. For one, the views I've already mentioned... but the other thing is diversity. The hike along the AT and Boulevard is a much more diverse hike than Alum Cave trail. While Alum Cave does have its diversity, it seems to be a bit monotonous at the same time. For example, the walk to Arch Rock is nothing but a hike along the creek. The view and the feel of the surroundings don't seem to change. Now it's a great hike along a beautify stream. But even a beautify stream eventually becomes monotonous. But then the hike again feels pretty monotonous between Arch Rock and Inspiration Point, with much of the hike above Gracie's Pulpit feeling the same as the trail below Inspiration Point. And the final mile up the steep exposed rock fact creates a new form of monotony.

So I would describe Alum Cave Trail as a monotonous trail with many fine points of interest along the way (as depicted in your pictures: Arch Rock, Alum Cave, Gracie's Pulpit, Inspiration Point, etc).

But the Boulevard seems to constantly change. At one moment, you're walking in a dense forest, then suddenly you're walking a ridge line with drop-offs to your left and right. Other times you seem to be on the side of a cliff, and other times you're hoping from one side of a mountain to the other. The Boulevard path doesn't have nearly the number of distinct points of interest like Alum Cave Trail, but it has a character that keeps changing that makes the hike itself the most interesting of all hikes to LeConte.

tnhiker22
06-02-2014, 13:14
Boulevard is great for the views... You're ridge walking, and in several places, the trees open up and you get some great views.

One thing that's really cool is that there is a spot between High Top and the back country shelter where you can see the New Found Gap Parking lot, and you can follow, with your eyes, from that parking lot the ridge line you walked to get to the top of LeConte.

But the other thing to keep in mind is to not let the fact you start at an elevation of about 5,000' fool you. It's a pretty rough hike. You've got to climb 1,000' along the AT just to get to the Boulevard... and during that climb, there are a couple of spots where you stop climbing and actually go down hill for a short while... just enough to fool you into thinking your climb to the Boulevard is over. Then, once you reach the Boulevard, it almost immediately begins with a 600' descend... meaning you've got to climb that last 600' all over again. Then, about half way between AT and High Top, there's another 250'+ descend followed by several ups-n-downs. Then the final mile push-for-the-top is as steep at the same section of Alum Cave trail. So while the path from New Found Gap to High Point is a NET 1,500' elevation gain, your cumulative elevation gain is nearly on par with Alum Cave Trail.

But the Boulevard is worth it. For one, the views I've already mentioned... but the other thing is diversity. The hike along the AT and Boulevard is a much more diverse hike than Alum Cave trail. While Alum Cave does have its diversity, it seems to be a bit monotonous at the same time. For example, the walk to Arch Rock is nothing but a hike along the creek. The view and the feel of the surroundings don't seem to change. Now it's a great hike along a beautify stream. But even a beautify stream eventually becomes monotonous. But then the hike again feels pretty monotonous between Arch Rock and Inspiration Point, with much of the hike above Gracie's Pulpit feeling the same as the trail below Inspiration Point. And the final mile up the steep exposed rock fact creates a new form of monotony.

So I would describe Alum Cave Trail as a monotonous trail with many fine points of interest along the way (as depicted in your pictures: Arch Rock, Alum Cave, Gracie's Pulpit, Inspiration Point, etc).

But the Boulevard seems to constantly change. At one moment, you're walking in a dense forest, then suddenly you're walking a ridge line with drop-offs to your left and right. Other times you seem to be on the side of a cliff, and other times you're hoping from one side of a mountain to the other. The Boulevard path doesn't have nearly the number of distinct points of interest like Alum Cave Trail, but it has a character that keeps changing that makes the hike itself the most interesting of all hikes to LeConte.

Cool. Thanks. I'll have to hike The Boulevard soon. Not to change the subject of this thread, but I've noticed you've posted quite a bit of information about Gregory Bald in other threads. I'm planning day hike to Gregory Bald on the 21st to see the azaleas and the views and wanted to ask you a couple of questions.

1. Which trail do you prefer to Gregory Bald?
2. Which is harder/easier?
3. If I take Gregory Bald Trail can we park at the trailhead, or do we have to park at Gregory Ridge trailhead and walk up the road?
4. Any other info on these trails I should know?

HooKooDooKu
06-02-2014, 14:32
Gregory Bald:

If you are willing to drive Parson's Branch Road (as well as driving all the way around the park to get back home), Gregory Bald trail is your easiest path to Gregory Bald.
1. It's the shortest path (4.5 miles 1 way, compared to 5.6 miles for Gregory Ridge)
2. It's a nice and consistent easy uphill climb with only a total of 2,000' of elevation change. Gregory Ridge adds another 800'-1,000' of elevation change.
BUT
3. It's a horse trail (and all the $#!^ that implies).

By contrast, the 'Little Brown Book' starts its description of Gregory Ridge Trail with the words "This has been and probably will always be one of the finest hikes in the Great Smoky Mountains." Personally, I don't see what is so great about Gregory Ridge Trail compared to similar other trails in GSMNP. The brown book claims Gregory Ridge Trail has views... I don't recall any serious views (nothing like you get from the AT/Boulevard) until you get to Gregory Bald.

But here is my personal recommendation...
First of all, don't go to Gregory Bald as a day hike. Campsite #13 is very close by, and is perhaps one of the best campsites in all of the GSMNP. I would suggest that you park at the Gregory Ridge Trailhead, and hike up Gregory Ridge Trail. At the intersection with Gregory Bald, pass the sign that says "No Horses" and hike to Moore Spring to eat a snack and fill your water bottles with all the water you will need for the rest of the day. From Moore Spring, hike uphill to rejoin Gregory Bald Trail. Hike on to Gregory Bald and enjoy the Azaleas. Then hike down to CS13 and setup camp. Late in the evening, take your cooking gear and food back up to Gregory Bald, cook and eat dinner at the Bald (possibly in solitude) and stay for sunset. Then hike back down to camp for the night. Next morning, eat breakfast at the bald if you want one more view of it before packing up, then hike back to the car via Gregory Bald Trail and Parson's Branch Road. If you need more water for the hike back, the water source for CS13 is about 1/4 mile down Gregory Bald.

This way, you get some great moments at the bald, you get to do a loop hike, and you're not pressed for time. Besides, the hike down Parson's Branch Rd can be pretty nice itself.

TNhiker
06-02-2014, 15:27
agreed on moore spring........

and bald by yourself?

probably not during june which is the bloom season....

although you may not have it to yourself, you can make places away from other people..........as in, there's enough room up there to not be near people during sunset.........

tnhiker22
06-02-2014, 16:02
agreed on moore spring........

and bald by yourself?

probably not during june which is the bloom season....

although you may not have it to yourself, you can make places away from other people..........as in, there's enough room up there to not be near people during sunset.........

Yes, I almost always hike by myself.

So, with it being bloom season I will have to park at Gregory Ridge trailhead and walk up the road to Gregory Bald Trail? If so, how far is it up the road?

HooKooDooKu
06-02-2014, 17:15
Yes, I almost always hike by myself.
I believe TNhiker was saying that you are very unlikely to have Gregory Bald to yourself at dinner or sunset in June.
While I can not argue with that comment (have not been up there in June), I have been to Gregory Bald at other times of the year where I did have the bald all to myself.

So, with it being bloom season I will have to park at Gregory Ridge trailhead and walk up the road to Gregory Bald Trail? If so, how far is it up the road?
1. The distance along Parson's Branch Rd between Gregory Ridge trailhead and Gregory Bald trailhead is 3.3 miles (I've been mapping out all the roads I might possibly need to hike). Note that this seems to conflict with 'The Little Brown Book' statement indicating that the trailhead is about 5 miles from the start of Parson's Branch. Apparently the author is lumping in the 2 miles of Forge Creek Rd with the 3 miles of Paron's Branch Rd and simply calling the entire path Parson's Branch Rd.
2. Unless Parson's Branch Rd is closed, I can't think of any reason why you would HAVE to park at Gregory Ridge trailhead rather than parking at Gregory Bald trailhead. If drivers are not wasting lots of space, the Gregory Bald trailhead can accommodate about a dozen cars. Further more, there is a small percentage of people who what to travel Parson's Branch Rd (for the combination of it's roughness and the fact you must exit Parson's Branch by driving to a remote corner of the park). Then again, I've never been to Gregory Bald at the peak of azalea season, so I don't know how crowded Gregory Bald trailhead might get. But my suspicion is that if there are parking spots available at Gregory Ridge trailhead, then there is likely to be parking spots available at Gregory Bald trailhead.

Of course you could always park at Gregory Ridge Trailhead, walk up Parson's Branch Rd and come full circle by hiking down Gregory Ridge (for a total of about 13 miles).

TNhiker
06-02-2014, 17:18
i meant having the bald to yourself-----as in, bloom season and campsite 13 are very popular.........my guess is that the campsite will be full that weekend...

its also the summer solistice that day......

you should be able to park at either trailhead.....as long as there's spots......at the end of forge road, there's a good number of parking spots there.......parking at gregory ridge is parking lot that holds maybe a dozen or so cars......

ive never had any problems with finding a spot..

i think hookoodu says its like just over 2 miles (thats just me guessing) from one trailhead to the other....

HooKooDooKu
06-02-2014, 18:04
i meant having the bald to yourself-----as in, bloom season and campsite 13 are very popular.........my guess is that the campsite will be full that weekend...
CS13 seems to be full many weekends through out the year... and most of the campers at CS13 have come from the Gregory Ridge side of the mountain. So by the time they get to CS13, they have already hiked across the bald. So when you combine that with the fact that only 15 campers SHOULD be at CS13 and the distance from the campsite to the bald is just under a 1/2 mile, you don't get too many campers coming back up to the bald late in the evening. However, I have seen some day-hikers on Gregory Bald at sunset.

i think hookoodu says its like just over 2 miles (thats just me guessing) from one trailhead to the other....
2.2 miles from Cades Cove Visitor's Center to Gregory Ridge Trailhead.
3.3 miles from Gregory Ridge Trailhead to Gregory Bald Trailhead.
5.3 miles from Cades Cove Visitor's Center to Gregory Bald Trailhead (there is a small stub that connects the Gregory Ridge Trailhead and the intersection of Forge Creek & Parson's Branch).

As I say, I've been doing some mapping of distance in GSMNP. I've created a set of mileage indicators (using custom waypoint symbols) to indicate intermediate distances of interest to me as a hiker that the GSMNP trial maps do not show. As an example, the GSMNP trail map shows 5 miles from Gregory Ridge Trailhead to the intersection with Gregory Bald Trail. But I have that distance broken down into 1.9 miles to CS12, and another 3.0 miles from CS12 to the trail intersection (my measurements using Google Earth don't always agree precisely with the 'Little Brown Book' or the Trail Map).

I've gotten my trail logs from the GPS data that used to be maintained at UTK (now something like TN Landforms dot com).
For roads, I've carefully used the Google Earth imagery to plot the paths (and measure the distances) of various road segments. There are a lot more loop hikes that become possible when you are willing to do a little bit of road walking. One great example is that you can hike Hannah Mtn Tr as a part of a loop if you are willing to hike Parson's Branch Rd/Forge Creek Rd/Cades Cove. You can hike as little as 19 miles using Forge Creek, Parson's Branch, Hannah Mtn, Rabbit Creek, and Cades Cove (one HUGE day hike, a long overnight loop, or an easy two night loop). Or you could make a 3 night loop out of Gregory Ridge, Gregory Bald, Hannah Mtn, Little Bottoms, Abrams Falls, Cades Cove, and Forge Creek.

illabelle
06-03-2014, 12:15
I remember hiking the Boulevard Trail to LeConte one time when the clouds had rolled in below me. All I could see to the left was white. All I could see to the right was white. Ahead and behind was a pathway through the rhododendron and small trees of the high elevations. I felt like I was on a narrow green bridge walking in the sky from cloud to cloud. It was really neat! :) Not an experience you'll have with the Alum Cave Trail.

TNhiker
06-03-2014, 12:53
you don't get too many campers coming back up to the bald late in the evening.

i dont know about that...

ive been up there a few june evenings and have seen 20 or more people watching sunset...........

HooKooDooKu
06-03-2014, 13:37
ive been up there a few june evenings and have seen 20 or more people watching sunset...........
In theory, all 20 couldn't have been from CS13... the site only has reservations for 15... and no one camps in GSMNP illegally not do they? ;)

Of course I can't dispute a claim of 20 people during the azalea bloom in June... I haven't been up there that time of year... and the count could obviously include day-hikers come to watch sun-set. I have had to share the bald with others in October. But twice, probably in the months of April and September, I've had the bald all to myself (any my son) on a Saturday or Sunday evening.

HooKooDooKu
06-03-2014, 13:43
I remember hiking the Boulevard Trail to LeConte one time when the clouds had rolled in below me. All I could see to the left was white. All I could see to the right was white. Ahead and behind was a pathway through the rhododendron and small trees of the high elevations. I felt like I was on a narrow green bridge walking in the sky from cloud to cloud. It was really neat! :) Not an experience you'll have with the Alum Cave Trail.
I sort-of once had a similar kind of experience...
I was driving to GSMNP to do some day-hikes. As I drove thru Pigeon Forge, late in the afternoon, I could see a blanket of clouds over the mountains that extended from an elevation of about 5,000' to 6,000'. I rushed as best as I could to drive to Clingman's Dome, and just about ran the whole way from the parking lot to the observation tower. I did get up there just in time to see a sea of clouds below me with only the peak of Clingman's Dome peeking out. But alas, the evening was so late that there wasn't enough daylight left to get a picture of the sight.

madgoat
06-04-2014, 08:57
I had a similar cloud walk experience up on Gregory Bald.

We started our day from campsite 92 on Long Hungry Ridge trail covered in dense fog. As we hiked up Long Hungry, the trees were caked in rime ice that cracked and popped and dropped on us. As we got closer to the ridge, the fog opened up. On top of Gregory Bald we saw that everything below ~4000ft was covered in a dense blanket of clouds that was slowly moving through. The clouds were cascading over the lower ridgelines like water over a rock, and parting around the peaks and coming back together on the other side. It was the most beautiful thing I have ever seen in creation.... except for my wife ;)

Riocielo
11-11-2014, 03:50
I got to hike Mt. LeConte Saturday for the second time. The first time I went it was November and all of the leaves had fallen. It's amazing how different the trail was this time. I also got to check out the lodge office and cafeteria (it was closed the last time I went). Once we got to the top it was cloudy, but it was still worth it.

Arch Rock

Alum Cave

Eye Of The Needle

Edge of Cliff Top

High Top

View from Myrtle Point

Three weeks ago we hiked this is the opposite direction, Alum Cave trail to Boulevard Trail to the AT. Since we are pretty much novices, we found it to be pretty strenuous. But we made Ice Water Shelter with plenty of light to spare, so we felt good about that.