PDA

View Full Version : Underwear? (And sizes!)

Groundsound1
06-02-2014, 11:39
Hey whiteblaze, almost have everything I need for my SOBO thru hike.

I know it's always important to have comfort, especially when hiking 15-25 miles a day, so underwear is obviously an important issue. I'm 137 pounds and my legs don't rub together, so chafing has never been an issue for me.

ive decided I'll get a pair of exofficio boxer briefs for hiking and patagonia silk weight boxers for sleeping. Reason being I don't like the feeling of something hugging my thighs and crotch, but I know I haven't tried exofficio and I'll probably change my mind.

Noe, the point of the boxer brief is for it to be tight and hug your leg right? And not to ride up. Well I have to buy these boxers online, so I can't try them. The size small is 28-30 and the size medium is 32-34. Should I go with the size small? I don't want it to be so deathly tight I hate wearing it. But I also don't want them to ride up.

Thanks guys!

Groundsound1
06-02-2014, 11:41
Forgot to mention I am a size 30 waist!

Coffee
06-02-2014, 11:50
I have both the Ex Officio boxer briefs and regular briefs. I prefer the regular briefs since the boxers do ride up more than I'd like. But this is just the "boxers or briefs" personal preference ... I don't like any boxer that I've ever tried on.

As for size, I am a 32 waist and the medium fits very well.

Siarl
06-02-2014, 12:07
Can't stand boxers. Every pair I've ever had ride up.

Odd Man Out
06-02-2014, 12:30
I have the EO regular briefs. I like them and will get a second pair to have for hiking/travel. Have had Boxer Briefs (other brands) and like them less for the reasons above. Either they are too large and baggy or too tight around the calves. I'm not so thin as you, but will use Vaseline if necessary for chaffing. I also wear long pants which helps.

Tuckahoe
06-02-2014, 12:47
I love the Exofficio boxer briefs. I am a 36 in waist and wear the large size boxer briefs. I have never had a problem with them riding up and i find them to be just the right snugness... not tight or constricting and not baggy either.

Yankytyke
06-02-2014, 14:22
I love Duluth Buck Naked Boxer Briefs. Sometimes I can get sweaty down there. No problems. No chaffing either.

saltysack
06-03-2014, 06:57
Love the eo boxer briefs....just ordered my 4th pair on sale at bc.com ..... Although I use under armor compression boxers for hiking and eo for sleep or mainly for off trail wear .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

saltysack
06-03-2014, 06:59
Oops... I wear 33 waist but athletic build so large fits good as have big legs

Theosus
06-03-2014, 20:06
I have a pair of $10 starter brand boxer briefs from Walmart. Only boxers I own. I really prefer briefs, but I haven't tried any specific hiking ones. The starter underwear worked fine until my three day hike back in march. I did have some chafing after 35 miles or so. I just bought a kilt, so maybe the underwear problem can solve itself, hahaha.

MuddyWaters
06-03-2014, 20:57
I use walmart starter compression shorts as well. Never had a single issue. Crotch smells like rotten shrimp after a week in hot weather, but thats normal.

jimmyjam
06-03-2014, 21:26
+1 for the WallyWorld starters. Just as comfortable as the exofficios and not a bit more smelly.

fastfoxengineering
06-03-2014, 21:52
Slim, atheltic build, 145 lbs. I have two pairs of exofficio boxer briefs dedicated to backpacking. one for hiking, one for camp. size medium, fit and support is great. got them about a year and a half ago, and have bought 4 more pairs since for everyday wear. not some miracle underwear that people make them out to be, but very comfortable and great for sports. They wick really well and dry very quickly. You kinda forget your wearing them. When I used to wear compression shorts I noticed them on and was always pulling them down and such. The exofficios are much more comfortable. They pill somewhat, but after a year of heavy wearing they dont seem to be wearing out anytime soon.

I recommend to pick them up on sale. I got mine for around $15 a piece. Which is what I would say they are worth.

I would say theyre the best underwear I've ever owned, the are way better than my old cotton boxer briefs, but I'm looking forward to eventually trying merino wool as underwear. Very expensive, but I expect them to perform even better than the exofficios.

Give em a try, I'm sure you'll be happy.

Dakota Joe
06-04-2014, 22:11
I use walmart starter compression shorts as well. Never had a single issue. Crotch smells like rotten shrimp after a week in hot weather, but thats normal.

Dude, you smell your own crotch?

Just freeball it

Old_Man
06-05-2014, 13:48
Underwear? Not when I'm hiking--just give me some astroglide for the thighs and let the fellas breath. Less weight too!