PDA

View Full Version : Penn Mar to Harpers Ferry with Daughter

Graywolf
06-02-2014, 15:26
I am planning a one week hike in July with my step daughter. She just turned 11. She is very atheletic and active. Her class came back from a camping trip where she did 8 miles (bragging rights for her). She ahs been wanting to hike the Trail with me for sometime and this maybe the best window for her to come out with me.

We have been lookking at backpacks for youths, and looks like we maybe settling on a Deuter 35 or 40 FOX. My girlfriend and I both have Deuter. Mine a 65 +10 and hers a 50+10. The FOX is a youth version and this will be her first backpack.

This will also be her first backpack trip so I am leaning towards South Mountain from Penn Mar to Harpers Ferry. Of course I can do the trip a lot quicker but with her, I want to take it easy and let her fully enjoy the Trail without being rushed. I have been reading the maps and guide book for this section and I have done parts of it on over nights, namely the southern half.

What are your comments about this as a first for an eleven year old? I know kids have done the trail many times and even thru hiked with parents. But this is my first with a child and wanting to have it run smoothly.

Graywolf

Coffee
06-02-2014, 15:32
Maryland is a nice and relatively easy hike especially over a week. One thing to keep in mind is that there is a bit of a climb to get up to High Rock if you are heading SOBO from PenMar, and the climb has some pretty rocky sections. You'll have good highlights like Annapolis Rocks and the Washington Monument as well. There's also the Free State Hostel where you could stay a night. I didn't stay there myself but I spoke to a few hikers who did and heard only good things about it. Harpers Ferry would be a great place to end a hike. I recommend the Teahorse Hostel and Mena's Italian Restaurant. Have a great trip!

FarmerChef
06-02-2014, 15:52
This is a great first section for kids. It's where I started my 4 children before 3 of them (at the time, 5, 7 and 9) began hiking the AT in earnest, covering about 500 miles that first year. Maryland is relatively flat but there are some rocky sections further north that take some extra time to negotiate. That said, for kids they can also be a source of fun.

As for your pack, I had my older girls in the Deuter Fox for awhile as I could adjust it as they got older but there is a 2 pound penalty over a GoLite Jam frameless pack which wound up working better for the girls as they got bigger (now 13 and 11). So last year, we ditched the Deuters and put the adult size packs on them as they could wear these comfortably and significantly lighter (max weight went from around 12 pounds down to 10 - a big jump in percentage points). Having said that, they did hike about 1,000 miles in the Deuter so it is a perfectly fine backpack. Though, one annoying feature is that it has no hip pockets on the belt. This is annoying because anytime you want to reach for a snack (say some Gorp or something) you have to either carry it in your pocket or take your pack off to get it out of the back pocket. If you do go with the Deuter (and they haven't updated the hip belt) pick up a clip on hip pouch. Your daughter will thank you :)

Above all, have fun! With kids, that is the key element.

just dad
06-02-2014, 19:25
I started my kids in Deuter packs, but as previously mentioned, they are a bit heavy. I subsequently put my kids in frameless packs, which they tolerated. They wanted more weight transfer to their hips than the frameless packs offered. ULA Equipment subsequently came out with a kid sized adjustable pack that I would seriously consider if we were doing it over again.

Yankytyke
06-02-2014, 20:31
The climb up to High Rock has enough rocks at the right height that I've split my pants on them once:)
11 year old should be fine.
7 days does seem excessive even with a young one. Guess you could spend any extra time in Harpers Ferry or even do the Maryland Heights hike.

Malto
06-02-2014, 20:51
Assuming she will enjoy a full week then it seems like a very reasonable section. If she really wants bragging rights..... Four state challenge then spend the other six days recovering in HF. :)

shelb
06-02-2014, 23:25
This is a great section for a kid! I hiked HF to PM with my sons, ages 12 and 10, back in 2009. Two of us own deuter backpacks; however, I DO NOT RECOMMEND DEUTER backpacks for AT hiking. While these backpacks have great suspension, stability, and carrying capacity, they are HEAVY!!! Deuter backpacks belong in the low-lands of Michigan - NOT the MOUNTAINS of the AT!!!

Unfortunately, this will be the last piece of equipment I replace (sleeping mat, sleeping bag, stove, clothing, etc. first). It is a great backpack - but not for the AT!

LIhikers
06-03-2014, 02:28
My first section of the AT was Harper's Ferry to Penn Mar.
It's a very nice section that should create plenty of memories to share.

Rain Man
06-03-2014, 09:04
I assume she's fine with "going in the woods." Otherwise, that's going to be an issue.

I remember that Maryland has lots of history and historic sites, so you might be prepared for those teaching moments. It also has things like the Washington Monument in a small park, well worth spending some time. Same for Gathland with that iconic arch AND nearby cold drink machines (be sure to have change and/or dollar bills). I recall Annapolis Rocks having a large area fenced off for rehabilitation. Another teaching moment. The view over the Shenandoah River was quite nice and worth some time.

And, if you reach Harpers Ferry "early," there's the hike up the cliff straight across from it, where Lincoln climbed part-way and gave a speech, and where (I think) the AT used to run. I think it's the place where many famous photos of HF are taken.

I'm jealous! Enjoy your time with your step daughter, it'll go by quickly. My own "little" thru-hike daughter is this minute in officers' basic training (not sure of the correct term) down in Alabama. I expect her to impress her DI when it comes to hiking and climbing big walls. Besides backpacking, she was a rock climber too. They had to special order boots her (small) size and she had to have her uniform specially altered. Big strong people sometimes come in small packages. :)

Rain:sunMan

Coffee
06-03-2014, 10:46
Try to spend your last night on the trail at the Garvey shelter. Even if you choose to tent (there are nice tent sites), the shelter loft is something kids are sure to enjoy exploring. To avoid a blue blaze hike nearly down to the valley below for water, pick up water at the state park a few miles north of the shelter as you walk SOBO.

FarmerChef
06-03-2014, 11:32
Oh and ice cream at the Swiss Miss in HF is a treat not to be missed when you get there. They really do it right as you will see by the long line outside the ordering window.

Bearhawk
06-03-2014, 14:24
I did this section last year in 2013. Starting at Pen Mar and going south ending up in Harpers Ferry. This is a great hike for a first timer. In fact I am doing it again this year, this time with my daughter (15), it will be her first backpacking trip as well. The first part of the trail going up High Rock can be a bit of a challenge early on can be a challenge.

Bearhawk
06-03-2014, 14:26
Graywolf, when are you going? We will be on trail June 14 SOBO from PenMar.

QHShowoman
06-03-2014, 16:41
I think I've blocked High Rock out of my head because I don't remember the climb. What sticks with me is the climb from Wolfsville Rd and then Lambs Knoll.

RockDoc
06-05-2014, 10:06
PenMar to HF was my first major hike as a young Boy Scout back in 1968 or so. It seemed very long and daunting at the time. Back then it was the "Four State Hike" because you crossed the bridge into VA and had to walk along the paved highway for several miles (only decades later did they allow the easy crossing on the railroad bridge). I recall the horrible heat as we walked along the shoulder of the road, as cars flew by. It's much nicer now not having to do that (but you skip VA so it's only a three state hike).

I did it more than once, I remember one year it rained and a lot of us got drenched camping on top of Lamb's Knoll and the parents came to pick us up and that was the end of the hike. I remember shivering in the wet cold, and all the food was ruined.

So, yes it is a good section to take your daughter. She may have memories to last a lifetime.

Feral Bill
06-05-2014, 10:24
REI has nice kids packs, their own and others. They re-fitted my kids in their adjustable packs for years. Have your daughter try on several packs for best fit.