PDA

View Full Version : any suggestion on hiking with a pacemaker

O-H-10 Lil Ohio
06-03-2014, 11:16
I have recentily had to have a pacemaker inplanted and am wondering if any of the thru or section hikers have any words of wisdow or suggestions to concerning pack straps or pack weight before I haed out for my SOBo

Shutterbug
06-03-2014, 11:26
I have recentily had to have a pacemaker inplanted and am wondering if any of the thru or section hikers have any words of wisdow or suggestions to concerning pack straps or pack weight before I haed out for my SOBo

I don't have any tips, but hope you will give a report after you have some experience with the new pacemaker. My doctor tells me that I will need one "someday." My pulse rate is down to 34 beats a minute. So far, I have no ill effects but my doctor says only a pacemaker will speed it up.

O-H-10 Lil Ohio
06-03-2014, 12:00
Interesting my Heart Rate was 33 resting with a average of 44 throughout a two day test wearing the monitor. Doctor thought that rate was to low for my age so I made the decision to have the procedure done. I hike alot but had to get off the trail during my 2012 attempted thur-hike. I am 66 but did not want to give up completing the trail. The Doctor says I can go ,but to be very aware of the placement of the pacemaker and the pack straps. I can attest that I feel better with much more energy since I got the pacemaker . I am just hoping for the best. I will report on my experience during some of my shakedown hikes prior to leaving for Maine. Tic Toc

Trainguy
06-03-2014, 12:23
I've had a pacemaker for about 5 years now. Haven't tested it by hiking much except a small backpacking excursion (2 days) in Alaska. Checked with my doc before hand and he said it shouldn't be a concern. It wasn't.

Can tell you that my Ipod, if worn on my left arm, will cause the pacemaker on occasion to act like it's going to pulse out of my chest, but simply switching the Ipod to my right arm takes care of that. On another note, be careful of magnets. I used to be a locomotive engineer and the magnetic forces within the prime mover didn't bother me unless I stood very close to the engine compartment.

As usual...your mileage may very.

O-H-10 Lil Ohio
06-03-2014, 14:24
Trainguy, interesting have not given my ipod much thought , I will definitely keep it on my right side of my pack. Thanks

squeezebox
06-03-2014, 18:40
Placement is 1 thing I can think of so as not to interfear with shoulder straps and chaffing. I don't remember enough about pace makers , but I think I remember some can adjust to exercise levels. can't quite imagine the cost of changing placement. You might have to hike with someone in case you get into a cardiac crisis. your doc is the pro. I'm just spinning ideas.
Best wishes
fight the good fight.

O-H-10 Lil Ohio
06-03-2014, 19:51
Squeezebox, you are correct the position of where the pace maker was placed was a consideration ,the doc moved it in a position so that I would be putting at least stress on the strap. Fortunately I have some time to do some modifications before I do my southbound hike thanks

slim jim
06-03-2014, 22:27
My wife has has a pacemaker that was placed in her chest near her underarm area instead of on top of her chest. The doctor suggested it because she was young and it wouldn't show. He said it was more difficult for him, but would look nicer for her. She doesn't hike much, but it seems like that would work better for you to avoid the straps. Just a thought.