PDA

View Full Version : 1st timers in GA

pablo081002
06-03-2014, 11:33
So myself and a friend are starting at Springer mtn. We want to hike for a week. We have been hiking since about January. We are in decent shape physically, my question is for planning: About how far should we plan to get to in seven days. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ricky&Jack
06-03-2014, 12:18
heres a facebook message I sent to the folks at the hoste/gear-shop at neels gap.
If you start its 39 from Amicalola. IF you have never been there, i recommend parking/starting there. its only about 8miles from there to springer on the approach trail. Plus you can see the nifty water fall and A.T. gift shop and buy books/patches etc.

You can start at Amicalola, and hike 3-3.5 days to Neels gap. They are the first stop on the A.T. theres a hostel which whould be great for you to stay at as a "we did it" reward. And you can buy gear (packs etc).

Neels gap is about 3.5 days from Amicalola and is the first stop on the A.T. it's where hikers stop to dump excess gear and buy better gear. You can easily hike there, and hike back.

RED-DOG
06-03-2014, 12:24
Since you guys only been hiking for a few months i would not try too much at first here's what i think Springer MT TO GA-75 at Unicoi Gap ( 52.9 miles ) this is a comfortable seven day hike, but if you guys are feeling a little bit more rambuncious try this, Springer mt TO US 76- Dicks creek Gap ( 69.6 miles ) plus theirs a new Hostel at Dicks Creek Gap, the second choice will stretch your legs a little bit more. Good Luck and Happy Hiking.

FatMan
06-03-2014, 13:03
Since you guys only been hiking for a few months i would not try too much at first here's what i think Springer MT TO GA-75 at Unicoi Gap ( 52.9 miles ) this is a comfortable seven day hike, but if you guys are feeling a little bit more rambuncious try this, Springer mt TO US 76- Dicks creek Gap ( 69.6 miles ) plus theirs a new Hostel at Dicks Creek Gap, the second choice will stretch your legs a little bit more. Good Luck and Happy Hiking.This is good advice. The other is not so good advice for first time hikers.

Hill Ape
06-03-2014, 13:05
+1 on what these guys said. you could concievably hike pretty much the whole georgia section in seven hard days. i'd cut it back to unicoi gap, excellent parking but exposed at 75. i've never had problems there but the road is traveled. alternative, on richard b russell highway, you can park at hogpen or tesnatee gaps. those are your easiest in/out. all three of those gaps are easy road drives from each other

Kerosene
06-03-2014, 13:14
If you're starting at Springer instead of Amicalola then I'd shoot for Dicks Creek Gap. Of course, that assumes that you have some experience with climbing mountains (a lot bigger than the little hills of lower Michigan). If not, or if you think it will be very hot and humid the week you're out there, then getting out at Unicoi Gap is a decent alternative. Of course, you could park your car at either place or anywhere in between and arrange for a shuttle pick-up when you're ready to get off-trail.

Ricky&Jack
06-03-2014, 13:17
you're from Michigan. Will you have a car here in georgia? (or 2)?

Cause it depends if you want a 2way trip (There and back) or you are just wanting to see how far you can go one-way.

Shuttles can be expensive and deter some from wanting to do a long one-way hike with a shuttle.

pablo081002
06-03-2014, 20:56
Thanks for the suggestions! We have hiked a little in the Smokies, but just 3-4 days and with kids so only about 20 miles even then. We had planned to leave a car around unicoi gap or even tray gap but just didn't if we were biting off more than we could chew. He were going to get shuttled to 42 near spr mtn. and hike to the car with a stopover at Neels.

MuddyWaters
06-03-2014, 21:28
Without knowing your condition, and pack weight, no one can say how far YOU can go.

You can do a dayhike in the mountains with a full pack to discover it for yourself though.

The trick is, to know what you are capable of, so you dont have to carry excess food weight, or water weight. Its a learned skill.

GA is plumb full of people willing to shuttle you for $, so anytime you want to bail off the trail, its a phone call away.

If you are moderate shape, with a normal 35-40 lb pack, you should be able to do 8-10 mpd without too much trouble.

Dakota Joe
06-04-2014, 22:15
Just hike it