PDA

View Full Version : Work for food/Stay

Rachmish
06-03-2014, 14:31
Hey everyone! So as most hikers, one of the biggest things is the lack of funds! I was wondering if anyone knows of places that have work for stay, or work for food? (Busing tables, etc.) I am doing a long section hike right now, and I'm trying to make it to Damascus! Thanks everyone!
Cities include... Erwin, tn... Hampton,tn and very other place nearby!
thanks for the help!

Gofundme.com/rmjktrails

RED-DOG
06-03-2014, 17:42
pretty much all the Hostels between Springer and Damascus i personally have gotten work for stay at Elmers ( Sunny Bank Inn ) in Hot Springs NC, and Uncle Johnnys in Erwin, Gyskycreek Friendly Hostel about 15 miles north of Erwin ( the name might be spelled wrong ), Kincora Hostel ( Bob Peoples is a cool person ) thats about it for the southern part of the AT I have gotten work for stay all up and down the AT from GA-ME, but i have never tried work for food but you never know until you ask so just when you hit a town go into the local Resturants and ask.

Ricky&Jack
06-03-2014, 23:36
What kind of work did you do? Just a few hours of simple cleanup/trash? or do you have a "skill" you trade for service?

pretty much all the Hostels between Springer and Damascus i personally have gotten work for stay at Elmers ( Sunny Bank Inn ) in Hot Springs NC, and Uncle Johnnys in Erwin, Gyskycreek Friendly Hostel about 15 miles north of Erwin ( the name might be spelled wrong ), Kincora Hostel ( Bob Peoples is a cool person ) thats about it for the southern part of the AT I have gotten work for stay all up and down the AT from GA-ME, but i have never tried work for food but you never know until you ask so just when you hit a town go into the local Resturants and ask.

mountain squid
06-04-2014, 07:42
Sometimes a hostel might need some assistance with a menial task. However, in my opinion, it should be at the request of the hostel owner and not the hiker.

If a hiker cannot afford to hike then they shouldn't be hiking. I would suggest stopping for a few weeks, get a job, earn some money and then resume hiking.

Just my .02 . . .

See you on the trail,
mt squid

how to hike (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?73587-how-to-hike)

RED-DOG
06-04-2014, 12:14
What kind of work did you do? Just a few hours of simple cleanup/trash? or do you have a "skill" you trade for service?

It all depends what the particular hostel needs, at Elmers i worked in his Garden, and at Uncle Johnnys i did clean up work,mowing grass weedeating, and at Greasycreek friendly i fixed a couple of Fire Rings and Layed a Retainning wall out of rocks, at Kincora i feed all his animals, and at the Doyle in Duncannon i did some finish Carpentry work, and at the AMC Huts i helped wash dishes and cook, so yeah i done construction and landscapping work most of my life so when i am at a hostel and i see something that needs to be done i offer my services for their services in exchange, sometimes i get it and sometimes i don't, just all depends if they need anything but theirs also times that a hiker ahead of me gets it which is fine too.

RED-DOG
06-04-2014, 12:27
Sometimes a hostel might need some assistance with a menial task. However, in my opinion, it should be at the request of the hostel owner and not the hiker.

If a hiker cannot afford to hike then they shouldn't be hiking. I would suggest stopping for a few weeks, get a job, earn some money and then resume hiking.

Just my .02 . . .

See you on the trail,
mt squid

On all three of my thru's i have saved enough money for the entire trip,in my oppinion it doen't hurt to ask a hostel owner for work for stay and alot of times i will ask to work and still pay and most of the times i pay more than the required amount, In my oppinion work for stay helps the Hostel in considerable amounts.

Tuckahoe
06-04-2014, 12:45

Just my .02 . . .

See you on the trail,
mt squid

I think that work for stay is well enough established AT tradition that there is nothing wrong with a hiker asking about or seeking out work for stay opportunities. In turn though, hikers should not plan on it or expect it, and should accept when the operator declines.

Rachmish
06-04-2014, 16:47
It all depends what the particular hostel needs, at Elmers i worked in his Garden, and at Uncle Johnnys i did clean up work,mowing grass weedeating, and at Greasycreek friendly i fixed a couple of Fire Rings and Layed a Retainning wall out of rocks, at Kincora i feed all his animals, and at the Doyle in Duncannon i did some finish Carpentry work, and at the AMC Huts i helped wash dishes and cook, so yeah i done construction and landscapping work most of my life so when i am at a hostel and i see something that needs to be done i offer my services for their services in exchange, sometimes i get it and sometimes i don't, just all depends if they need anything but theirs also times that a hiker ahead of me gets it which is fine too.

Thanks red dog... I have experience with lawn maintenance and minor construction work, so I am hoping for opportunities on the trail! And the person hiking with me has 10 years of bar tending and serving. I just wasn't sure mostly on the work for food, but the hiker towns have seemed to be very friendly and helpful with insight information!