PDA

View Full Version : Tips for running on the PCT

redseal
06-03-2014, 21:32
Hi all. I might be visiting the Angeles National Forest area for work. While there, I would like to do some trail running. I would like to thru-hike the PCT some day so figured it might be nice to run a section. I did some research and the section around Mt. Baden Powell looks promising. If you have any other suggestions, they would be appreciated.

Anyway, I have never ran, hiked, backpack on the west coast yet. This would be my first go at it. So I am wondering what to wear and bring on the run. It would be mid-June if I go there. Will shorts and a t-shirt work or do I need more sun protection? I'm assuming it will be pretty darn hot so obviously lots of water is a must. Any help you can provide would be awesome.

Thanks.

Malto
06-04-2014, 06:25
I just did a short trail run on the PCT near Baden Powell on my visit to CA in April. I had forgotten just how nice that trail was, I guess it all blurred together on my thru hike. You will want sun protection since the trail is much more open vs East Coast trails. Temperature wise I would expect very pleasant temperatures up on the ridge. It could be windy so I would prepare of that. But the biggest difference for me is how dirty my feet get. The trail is much dustier and that fine grit will go through shoes and socks and if you don't pay attention you can blister pretty easy.

suggest going here. http://www.pctmap.net/maps/ and printing out the maps and data book for where your hiking, Section D. That will give you a good feel for water. Have fun, I will guarantee that you'll be hooked.

rafe
06-04-2014, 10:46
Aside from the spectacular scenery, that dusty surface was the thing I noticed that most distinguished the JMT (near Mammoth Lakes) from any eastern trail. In places it was a few inches deep, and affected my footing in an unaccustomed way. A bit like walking in fine beach sand. At camp I noticed my lower legs were covered with dark with gray dust.

redseal
06-04-2014, 18:58
Thanks for the tips so far. Sounds like normal running attire would be fine, just need to pay a little more attention to my feet.