PDA

View Full Version : Have you used a 'Falcon' hiking guide for your state?

Ricky&Jack
06-03-2014, 23:45
I was at Borders books today, looking for A.T. guides. All I saw was a heavy $55 Appalachian Trail photo coffee table book.

But a few spaces over was a "Falcon guide: Hiking Georgia" by the American Hiking Society. I only looked at it for a few seconds cause it was $25. But it is 400 pages and it looked like it had maps/diagrams etc.

I came home and found it on Amazon for only $15. There's no reviews for this version, but I noticed they have a book for all states.

Has anyone here used a "Falcon guide"? Is it great? Or do you recommend just sticking to online research?

http://www.amazon.com/Hiking-Georgia-4th-Greatest-Adventures/dp/0762782439/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1401853151&sr=8-2&keywords=hiking+georgia

rocketsocks
06-04-2014, 00:19
I never used a falcon guide. I'll toss a little something else in the box for ya, it'll be dated, but should point ya in the right direction.

Ricky&Jack
06-04-2014, 00:25
you sir, are too generous.

I'm really going to "pay it forward" when Im able to.

rocketsocks
06-04-2014, 00:30
you sir, are too generous.

I'm really going to "pay it forward" when Im able to.
That's always worked well for me too.

Ricky&Jack
06-04-2014, 00:33
after I read it, I'll put a post up on these forums looking for someone who doesnt have it, but would like to read it, and Ill send it postage paid, as well.

"Pay it forward: W.B. Book Swap" will be born. (unless It already exists, and I'm just too crappy at using the search function).

Alleghanian Orogeny
06-04-2014, 05:50
It's not one of the state guidebooks, but Hiking the Blue Ridge Parkway, by Randy Johnson is an excellent resource for trails along the BRP and within State Parks and National Forests which flank it. Johnson is a veteran outdoorsman and writer who lives in Banner Elk, NC and was a principal in laying out the backcountry trail system on Grandfather Mountain, NC while employed by the late Hugh Morton, who long owned the tract which is now a State Park. This Falcon guidebook includes highly detailed descriptions, topo profile info, line drawings, and maps. My copy stays in my daypack, as it's far more often than not that I'll want it with me when out and about. AO

No Directions
06-04-2014, 07:40
At one time Hiking Trails of North Georgia by Tim Homan was THE book. I used one for years. I just looked on Amazon and they have it for sale used only so it must be out of print. But for $1.74 you can't go wrong. Another book I like is 50 Hikes in the North Georgia Mountains by Johnny Molloy. Also available on Amazon.

Feral Bill
06-04-2014, 10:51
The Falcon Guides I've looked at for places I am familiar with were nothing special. They seem to vary in quality.

rafe
06-04-2014, 12:29
I own the Falcoln Guide for MA, but don't use it much. I've leafed through it a few times looking for ideas for short hikes, hikes to take with my wife or with friends and "non-hiker" types.

If my current state of semi-retirement persists, it may get more use than it's gotten so far...

mattjv89
06-05-2014, 19:13
I have a falcon guide for Vermont, it has 60 hikes ranging from short afternoon strolls to overnight mountain traverses. It's definitely turned me on to some good hikes around the state. What I like least is the way they categorize the hikes, there is nothing in the index to show difficulty or length just what part of the state it's in. Makes for a lot of guesswork when I'm looking for a long all day kind of hike and turn to a 2 hour stroll by a pond, etc. at least for VT there are far more comprehensive books but it's a decent guide.

The Snowman
06-05-2014, 19:20
always have had good luck with them. mostly good for states that are not big hiking destations.

Last Call
06-06-2014, 01:32
The one for Alabama is pretty good.