PDA

View Full Version : Are Hammock Tarps reversable?

Ricky&Jack
06-04-2014, 13:59
I posted this over on hammock forums but havent had a reply yet, so I wanted to ask here as well.

My first ever hammock with arrive today (skeepter Beeter Pro), and I was wondering about tarps.

I havent ordered a tarp yet. I actually bought my first sewing machine a few days ago and I was thinking of making one myself, maybe.

Are tarps usually reversible? I haven't looked at one in person, so I dont know yet how they really look, other than online pictures.

What i mean by reversable, is that I will be hiking long trails with my Husky. I was thinking of putting a banner with the words "Ricky&Jack, Dalton Georgia" on the tarp so that when im camped, Other forum members/hikers will know who we are, and maybe if someone is also from my home town area, it'll help us start conversations/friendships.

I thought it may be great if we meet people on the trails early on, and separate. If later on down the trail they see my specific banner/tarp, they would stop and say hi, etc.

But if theres a time where I dont really want to advertise my presence, can i just flip the tarp over so that the plan side is visible, and not the banner?

Or is the 'top' of the tarp ALWAYS the top?

Likeapuma
06-04-2014, 14:21
Wouldn't it just be easier to make a small flag & clip it to your ridgeline? I know some people over at HF have had small flags made up with their screen name.

Ricky&Jack
06-04-2014, 14:25
i havent gotten my hamock yet, so I just learned what a ridgeline was a few mintues ago.

Also, thought maybe just attaching it to the tarp with paperclips on the end.

When me and my husky went hiking in my tent, I would stick my treking poles in the ground 3ft apart and just tie the banner between them. But i dont like the idea of my poles being out in the open.

Hammock should arrive today :)

Mobius
06-04-2014, 14:27
The two I've made are reversible. They're french-seamed across the top (and subsequently seam sealed). Unless I look closely I can't tell which side is which anyway. I don't have tie-outs on the sides of my tarp though - just the corners.

Deadeye
06-04-2014, 16:25
Yes, they're reversible. Each side is as waterproof (or leaky) as the other

gunner76
06-04-2014, 23:41
Just order a flag from Devil Woman http://dwflags.com/store/. She will make a custom flag for you and the prices are very low for what you are getting.

Ricky&Jack
06-04-2014, 23:46
Just order a flag from Devil Woman http://dwflags.com/store/. She will make a custom flag for you and the prices are very low for what you are getting.

Yeah, I actually found that over on HF this afternoon. Seems like those forums are a lot more busy, so it took a while to find that thread.

gunner76
06-05-2014, 08:52
If you ask Devil Woman she can add grommets in the corners of the flag to make it easier to hang. I usually hang mine from my tarp ridge line.

overthinker
09-09-2014, 14:55
The only thing that would prevent you from flipping your tarp would be panel pulls, and that's only if you intended to use them.