PDA

View Full Version : Lessons Learned The Hard Way

Chair-man
06-05-2014, 05:41
So I'm over at trailjournals.com again (I spend a lot of time there learning about the trail for my upcoming 2016 thru attempt) and I find that a lot of the entries are rather mundane but every once in a while you come across one that gets your attention.

Like this one from Gray Ghost today.
(http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=459634)
I guess talking while hiking is like texing while driving.

Mrs Baggins
06-05-2014, 07:25
Wondering if he fell off of the switchback up to Weverton Rocks. Can't picture any place else that steep nobo out of HF. So he had to hike all the way back along the canal, over the bridge, and back up the steep High Street through town to the ATC office. Yikes.

Cookerhiker
06-05-2014, 07:38
Pretty sobering - a lesson for all of us. Pay attention to the trail!

rocketsocks
06-05-2014, 08:05
I like the fact that he was not to proud to confess his faults and took full responsibility...quite refreshing these days.

Coffee
06-05-2014, 08:09
Wondering if he fell off of the switchback up to Weverton Rocks. Can't picture any place else that steep nobo out of HF. So he had to hike all the way back along the canal, over the bridge, and back up the steep High Street through town to the ATC office. Yikes.
It's hard to tell for sure but it sounds like this happened on the AT between the ATC side trail and reaching the old part of HF. There are definitely places to fall in that area. To get back for the Weverton area would have required a much longer walk back that he implies... But a good reminder to be careful out there!

Damn Yankee
06-05-2014, 08:14
He's one lucky guy. Glad he's ok and able to move on with life lesson learned.

MountainsCalling
06-05-2014, 08:34
I too fell and hurt myself on the trail during the section hike I attempted with my wife - I have a bad back, and the fall "tweaked" it. We had to do the smart and responsible thing and hop off the trail. Laurel (from the Teahorse Hostel) came to our rescue, just like she did for Gray Ghost. She is a true trail angel, that's for sure!

gof
06-05-2014, 16:56
I am glad he is OK. What an accident.

Ricky&Jack
06-05-2014, 17:07
is he a member here? I would love to know what accidents like these cost, financially.

Since most hikers seem to carry a grand or two more than what is expected on the trail, I wonder if the clinic/x-ray for something (I hate to say minor, but compared to actual broken bones etc it is) like this would drain the average hiker of their money, and force a quit.

I have to think things like this are very common, and Im just wondering what the average financial burden is on the hiker for even 'small' accidents such as this.

RED-DOG
06-05-2014, 17:38
is he a member here? I would love to know what accidents like these cost, financially.

Since most hikers seem to carry a grand or two more than what is expected on the trail, I wonder if the clinic/x-ray for something (I hate to say minor, but compared to actual broken bones etc it is) like this would drain the average hiker of their money, and force a quit.

I have to think things like this are very common, and Im just wondering what the average financial burden is on the hiker for even 'small' accidents such as this.

Most hikers have Health Insurance and carry their insurance card with them what they have to pay out of pocket is a small Co-Pay, what gets expensive is the week your layed up in a Hotel/Hostel this is just one of the reasons why you have to be prepared Financially for a thru-hike and yes running out of money is the number one reason why people quit and it's twice as hard if your hiking with a dog you never know when your compannion has to go to a Vet thats 100% out of pocket not to mention the sections you have to Kennel your dog such as the GSMNP. For example on my 2012 AT thru i spent $5700 out a $7000 dollar budget if i would have gotten sick or injured my entire budget would have been blown I would have still finished but i would have been absolutly broke when i got home, so yeah when a person is planning their thru-hike budget they have to take in account alot more than just Food, Gear, and Town stuff. it's better to have too much than not enough.

RED-DOG
06-05-2014, 17:42
Yeah i am Glad he's okay.

bamboo bob
06-05-2014, 20:59
Some years back. I think 2003 on the Long Trail I tripped and took a header down a slope off the trail. I was paying attention I wasn't zoned out. I just went over for no good reason. I tripped on an ant as far as I could tell. It took me some time to get all my gear and glasses etc back up on the trail. It's an adventure out there.