PDA

View Full Version : AT Data Book errata?

Arden
06-05-2014, 16:36
Hi;
This is mostly a point of interest, not a criticism of the AT Data Book.
I just bought the 2014 AT Data Book, and am updating my Excel version of same. My original entries are from the 2010 edition, and I have noticed some changes in the data. I assume that trail reroutes, shelter additions/removals, springs drying up or new ones found, etc will affect some of the data. But there is a very perplexing entry at the border between the Tenn/NC and NC/GA sections. The last entry for the TN/NC section is Little Tennessee River - Fontana Dam - Southern boundary Great Smoky Mountains National Park (1800').
Then, the same entry appears at the top of the page for the NC/GA section, but it states the elevation as 1781'. In all other section boundaries, the two listings are the same. This is the only one with a discrepancy I have found so far (reading SOBO). Interestingly, the same data discrepancy appears in the 2010 edition of the book.
It's not that it really matters to a section or thru hiker, but I am curious.

This leaves me thinking that there are probably errors in all versions of the Data Book, and in every other AT reference. I guess I should send an e-mail to the ATC.

BTW- the 2014 book still lists the PO at Arden NY just west (by trail reference) of the trail where it crosses SR 17 at the western boundary of Harriman Park NY. That PO has been closed for a couple of years now. The closest PO is in Southfields NY which is east of the trail. I just wonder how many other PO's have been closed since the last update to the data.
I've also noticed that in the 2014 edition "PO" is no longer indicated in the facilities column (but still in the features). This might be for one or two reasons: To save print in the book, and for lack of interest - do many hikers still use post office drops?

Arden

Arden
06-05-2014, 16:43
Errata to my post!
Sorry; I thought the 2010 ed of the data book had "PO" listed in the facilities column - it did not. This was my own addition when I created my Excel version.
Would have just edited it out of my post, but there does not appear to be an edit feature on this board.

Sly
06-05-2014, 17:18
I don't have a Data Book in front of me but I would imagine there's a email or phone number to call for updates and corrections.

Food for thought, any point in a guide is to the tenth of a mile = 500'. There could easily be a 19' difference between the river and the actual GSMNP border.

Arden
06-05-2014, 19:26
I don't have a Data Book in front of me but I would imagine there's a email or phone number to call for updates and corrections.

Food for thought, any point in a guide is to the tenth of a mile = 500'. There could easily be a 19' difference between the river and the actual GSMNP border.
You are correct, but you would think the elevation would be consistent for the same entry printed twice in the book. That is, unless you step out of the TN/NC section and drop down the 19' into the NC/GA section!
I'll have to check it out when I finally get there.

Arden

atraildreamer
06-06-2014, 18:22
Errata to my post!
Sorry; I thought the 2010 ed of the data book had "PO" listed in the facilities column - it did not. This was my own addition when I created my Excel version.
Would have just edited it out of my post, but there does not appear to be an edit feature on this board.

Make a donation...get to edit.