PDA

View Full Version : Bear Closure around Watauga Lake TN

mountain squid
06-05-2014, 20:18
The National Forest Service lands are closed to most recreation from north of Shook Branch (US321) to a half mile north of Wilbur Dam Rd. This includes approximately 4 miles of the Appalachian Trail around Watauga Lake in NE TN. Bears are active in this area. Individuals are only permitted to hike through this area. Please continue hiking through this area without stopping. Watauga Lake Shelter is closed. No preparation or consumption of food or overnight stays allowed. This closure is effective until December 1, 2015.

Signs have been posted at several local trail heads.

If more information becomes available I will update.

See you on the trail,
mt squid

Lone Wolf
06-05-2014, 20:22
no signs posted yesterday at wilbur dam rd.

mountain squid
06-05-2014, 20:41
Per correspondence that I've seen there should be one there now. Hopefully it hasn't been taken down. Will have to confirm signs at a later time.

Thanks for the update, Lone Wolf.

See you on the trail,
mt squid

Toga
06-05-2014, 21:15
The National Forest Service lands are closed to most recreation from north of Shook Branch (US321) to a half mile north of Wilbur Dam Rd. This includes approximately 4 miles of the Appalachian Trail around Watauga Lake in NE TN. Bears are active in this area. Individuals are only permitted to hike through this area. Please continue hiking through this area without stopping. Watauga Lake Shelter is closed. No preparation or consumption of food or overnight stays allowed. This closure is effective until December 1, 2015.

Signs have been posted at several local trail heads.

If more information becomes available I will update.

See you on the trail,
mt squid

Dec, 1 2015? Was that a typo or is this correct?

Tennessee Viking
06-06-2014, 07:33
Again. Thats one presistant bear. There have been closures for the last couple years. TVA/USFS need to relocate this bear.

I am wondering if the fishing/partying traffic needs to minimized.

@Togo: Extended closure periods is typical to reduce any need or attraction for bears to stay in an area. There has been a strong bear presence in this area for the last 8 years, and its growing mainly due to the non-hiking and lazy hiker traffic. But they only usually last to the winter.

mountain squid
06-06-2014, 20:36
Per the info available to me, 01 December 2015 is the expiration date of the closure. If the date changes I will update.

It might be a different bear. I understand that some cubs have been involved. The area is closed to the fishing and partying groups as well.

See you on the trail,
mt squid

mountain squid
12-01-2015, 09:30
Expired today, 12/1/15! Enjoy a hike around Watauga Lake!

We did some work at Watauga Lake Shelter on the 'bear pole' and surrounding ground a couple of weeks ago. I haven't heard of any recent bear activity but encounters are always a possibility. Please use caution, especially when storing your food for the night.

See you on the trail,
mt squid

(I did see 3 cubs on an overnighter to Iron Mountain Shelter earlier this year.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZ0UWl658hs

Roanmtnman
12-01-2015, 20:09
Glad to hear this!!! I live near there, will be nice to hike and camp some on this section of the trail!