PDA

View Full Version : men in skirts

squeezebox
06-06-2014, 03:11
How many men wear skirts when hiking ?
I would like to separate rain skirts from general hiking skirts.
rain skirts and hiking skirts are worn for different reasons.

Damn Yankee
06-06-2014, 06:15
I'm looking at getting a hiking kilt.

Lone Wolf
06-06-2014, 06:19
hiking kilts are basically skirts

SouthMark
06-06-2014, 06:57
If you wear underwear it is a skirt, if not it is a kilt. :)

Old Hillwalker
06-06-2014, 07:14
They call it a Kilt cause that,s what happened to he last guy that called it a skirt.

colorado_rob
06-06-2014, 07:57
They call it a Kilt cause that,s what happened to he last guy that called it a skirt.LOL!!!! I can't tell, OP, if you want to hear about both rain and hiking skirts, but I switched to using a rain skirt vs. rain pants for the AT. Can't believe I did this (I'll deny it to folks back here in CO), but it sure works great in that eastern climate; keeps "things" well ventilated but dry.

Grizhicks
06-06-2014, 08:03
LOL!!!! I can't tell, OP, if you want to hear about both rain and hiking skirts, but I switched to using a rain skirt vs. rain pants for the AT. Can't believe I did this (I'll deny it to folks back here in CO), but it sure works great in that eastern climate; keeps "things" well ventilated but dry.

The rain kilt makes a lots of sense in the warmer weather, but did you use rain/wind pants in colder weather (esp. at each end/move with colder weather gear?)? Thanks, Grizhicks

colorado_rob
06-06-2014, 08:11
The rain kilt makes a lots of sense in the warmer weather, but did you use rain/wind pants in colder weather (esp. at each end/move with colder weather gear?)? Thanks, Grizhicks I stay with rain pants, mostly for warmth, in colder weather and out here in the drier air of Colorado. On the AT, I started with rain pants in April at Springer, went to a skirt in early May. Really worked well; I think the sil-nylon skirt I carry weighs about 4 oz.

shakey_snake
06-06-2014, 10:26
hiking kilts are basically skirts

Kilts have a plain front with pleats on the back.

All rainwear I've seen are skirts, despite the name.

squeezebox
06-06-2014, 12:04
You could even go as far as a kilt must be wool & plaid.
It's pretty amazing how well made a top end kilt is made.
look it up sometime.

Slo-go'en
06-06-2014, 17:15
To answer the original question of how many wear a skirt, the answer is not many. Go to the ATC site and look through the album of thru-hiker pictures. I doubt you'll see more than a couple of guys in skirts.

rocketsocks
06-06-2014, 17:37
To answer the original question of how many wear a skirt, the answer is not many. Go to the ATC site and look through the album of thru-hiker pictures. I doubt you'll see more than a couple of guys in skirts.
I'd wear a skirt...but I won't wear the panties!

Likeapuma
06-06-2014, 18:42
look it up sometime.

Looking up a man's kilt, uninvited, might get a person in trouble!

Meriadoc
06-06-2014, 21:14
Looking up a man's kilt, uninvited, might get a person in trouble!
Depends who's doing the looking :P.
I wear a kilt. Between a hiking kilt and a hiking skirt there's not much practical difference if range of motion in the hiking skirt is good.

squeezebox
06-07-2014, 15:07
So what % of women hike in skirts ?
Rocket socks, you really need to try a pretty thong under your skirt,
boxers just ain't the same.

Ricky&Jack
06-07-2014, 15:10
im mean, who here HASN'T fantasized about wearing a skirt?

Am I right? eh? eh? *nudge* *nudge*

Damn Yankee
06-07-2014, 15:14
Just between you and me, I dress in my wife's clothes all the time when she isn't around. It makes me fine pretty, oh so pretty. I'm going to break out in song, gotta go. All kidding aside, I would be looking for a kilt if someone may have one for sale.

rocketsocks
06-07-2014, 16:08
So what % of women hike in skirts ?
Rocket socks, you really need to try a pretty thong under your skirt,
boxers just ain't the same.
I just can't see hiking with a weggie...and enjoying that.

slbirdnerd
06-07-2014, 20:20
I am a gal but have a Mountain Hardwear men's hiking kilt. Just back from a 6 day trip and love it. Wore undies but the airflow was VERY nice also the lack of being constricted. The big pockets are a big plus. It's also water resistant. Highly recommend for guys and gals alike.

handlebar
06-07-2014, 21:20
+1 for the MH Kommando Kilt for the big pockets. I also like my Sportkilt hiking kilt with the pockets option. They sew nice deep slash pockets. I like kilts in all kinds of wheather except extreme cold. I find the ventilation factor advantageous. I remember seeing good number of kilts on the AT. Once you go for a hiking kilt, the obvious next step is a rain wrap in lieu of rain pants---a lot lighter and more comfortable.

Speakeasy TN
06-07-2014, 21:25
You could even go as far as a kilt must be wool & plaid.
It's pretty amazing how well made a top end kilt is made.
look it up sometime.

There will be NO looking up the kilt!

misprof
06-07-2014, 22:03
I am a gal and have been thinking of switching to a hiking skirt, as it seems like it would be easier to "do my buisness" and would be cooler in the summer. slbirdnerd does the rubbing of the fabric on your legs chafe ? I usually wear a leotard type short so it does not rub my legs at all.

Damn Yankee
06-07-2014, 22:14
There will be NO looking up the kilt!

The original kilts were made from about 9 yards of wool which was the folded accordion style, held with a belt and served many purposes such as a sleeping blanket, cape or throw in cold weather. Very ingenious design.

Just Bill
06-07-2014, 23:19
Co-incidentally-
I just came home to find my wife took a picture of me wearing my skirt to go grocery shopping with my son and posted it to facebook.

I put together a rough draft of the pattern and it is being tested by another WB'er at the moment. Happy to share the preliminary version with anyone who wants to test it and make their own. Once I get some feedback (and time) I was going to write up a guide for it.

2oz in men's large, two big pockets. adjustable length (knee length for standard trail, mid thigh for when it's "big girl time" and the trail is steep)
Dries in about 15 minutes while worn.

Not sure how popular, but the popularity/practicality of it seems to make it a popular topic at least.

squeezebox
06-07-2014, 23:49
how do you do adjustable length ? Comfort ? chaffing ?

Teacher & Snacktime
06-08-2014, 11:21
Co-incidentally-
I just came home to find my wife took a picture of me wearing my skirt to go grocery shopping with my son and posted it to facebook.

I put together a rough draft of the pattern and it is being tested by another WB'er at the moment. Happy to share the preliminary version with anyone who wants to test it and make their own. Once I get some feedback (and time) I was going to write up a guide for it.

2oz in men's large, two big pockets. adjustable length (knee length for standard trail, mid thigh for when it's "big girl time" and the trail is steep)
Dries in about 15 minutes while worn.

Not sure how popular, but the popularity/practicality of it seems to make it a popular topic at least.

I want to see the FB pic!

On a more practical note....what's the approach to tick protection? Having to slather oneself in deet would reduce the coolness benefit I imagine, but would be vital to keep the little buggers from their "warmest places" objective.

Magic_Mack
06-08-2014, 14:51
Just ordered one, thanks

Del Q
06-08-2014, 18:18
I have "gone both ways". Wore hiking pants on my last hike due to the risk of COLD weather, which happened. Made a good decision.

In hotter weather to me a kilt rules, tons more air flow. Can go commando. Easy and fast to wash up near streams.

A negative to a kilt (Ekommando) is that in the rain when you have to pack it, they are HEAVY and bulky.

squeezebox
06-08-2014, 18:19
The original style kilt was 9 yds of wool pleated a certain way then wrapped around and held in place with a belt.
so who needs a rain skirt if you can just fold your tarp to about 20-25 inches a few folds in the waist to provide hiking room at the hem.
a belt and you would have a true rain kilt.

Just Bill
06-09-2014, 17:03
I want to see the FB pic!

On a more practical note....what's the approach to tick protection? Having to slather oneself in deet would reduce the coolness benefit I imagine, but would be vital to keep the little buggers from their "warmest places" objective.
Ticks- Same steps as if wearing shorts- no different. I wear taller socks or gaiters in bad areas either way, also deet around my thighs just above the knee if it's real bad.

Not savvy enough to share her post (think you have to be a member/friend anyway)- screen shot of the pic-No Deet required to take the boy to the grocery store.27309

Just Bill
06-09-2014, 17:09
how do you do adjustable length ? Comfort ? chaffing ?

Adjustable length- A horribly complicated system of two buttons on the pockets and matching button holes on the hem, when it's big girl time just pull the front up and button- takes it to mid-thigh for steep sections of trail or when working bachlorette parties for beer money in town. Not as innovative as the adjustable women's skirt popular with some;)

Comfort- like wearing nothing- if you're comfortable with that. Or if you wear undies; like walking around in your underwear without getting arrested.

Chaffing- see comfort.

yerbyray
06-09-2014, 17:21
I made a kilt out of tyvek and have taken it on a few trips. it isn't the "Great Kilt" style that wraps over your shoulder, but more of one that is pleated around your waist.

I wish Tyvek came in different colors.

I will post a picture once I get home.

shakey_snake
06-09-2014, 17:23
does anyone make an ultralight sporran?

Just Bill
06-09-2014, 17:33
does anyone make an ultralight sporran?

Had to look that up- http://sportkilt.com/category/220/Sporrans.html
Good god though- why would you want to mount a hunk of metal and leather to bounce on your shakey snake as you walked? Let alone what all those tassels would do.

Nothing wrong with the occasional bitter red ale- but this seems excessive:D

yerbyray
06-09-2014, 17:36
I made a kilt out of tyvek and have taken it on a few trips. it isn't the "Great Kilt" style that wraps over your shoulder, but more of one that is pleated around your waist.

I wish Tyvek came in different colors.

I will post a picture once I get home.

Turns out I had it on my thumb drive

rocketsocks
06-09-2014, 17:39
Ticks- Same steps as if wearing shorts- no different. I wear taller socks or gaiters in bad areas either way, also deet around my thighs just above the knee if it's real bad.

Not savvy enough to share her post (think you have to be a member/friend anyway)- screen shot of the pic-No Deet required to take the boy to the grocery store.27309
Is the back pleated?

shakey_snake
06-09-2014, 17:39
I think the traditional purpose is to provide a pocket and some modesty. :) It rides below the Mr. Bill, I believe.

I suppose it's nothing that couldn't be rigged up with a zpacks hip belt pocket and some shock cord. AND, for maximum cyberhiker points you could use the old SUL trick and count it as "worn" rather than against your baseweight. :P

rocketsocks
06-09-2014, 17:40

Turns out I had it on my thumb driveThat'll work.

Just Bill
06-09-2014, 17:51
I think the traditional purpose is to provide a pocket and some modesty. :) It rides below the Mr. Bill, I believe.

I suppose it's nothing that couldn't be rigged up with a zpacks hip belt pocket and some shock cord. AND, for maximum cyberhiker points you could use the old SUL trick and count it as "worn" rather than against your baseweight. :P

LOL, Socks and I were just discussing modesty problems should a merino version be used- perhaps you are onto something.

Yerbyray- If you wound it around you once and a half (or so) you could dual purpose your tyvek kilt/cowboy camp groundcloth- that'd be very Scottish of you without going overboard.
Tyvek has got to get clammy though? I gave up on M50 (DWR coated fabric) for that reason even though it's lighter- I find the regular uncoated ripstop to be the most comfy.

Socks- No pleats- Just a Skirt.
Pockets are on your thighs rather than sides- the big hipbelt bags on my pack would prevent pocket use otherwise. Although when walking about the only thing that goes in them is daily trash.
Big enough to hold my Kindle though for cyberhiking:eek:

rocketsocks
06-09-2014, 18:04
Well, I know this is a kilt thread....but I ain't real big on rules, so, here goes.

Been thinking about turning(cutting) my rain pants into rain shorts, and sewing in some Velcro at the bottoms so I could re-afix the legs like conversion pants. Reason is I mainly use em in warm weather, but would like to still be able to use in just above freezing temps if need be. Now having said all that, my second thought was if I'm gonna go through all that, then why not just use a rain skirt/kilt...and so I'm following the thread with baited pole and sporran.

Just Bill
06-09-2014, 18:23
Well, I know this is a kilt thread....but I ain't real big on rules, so, here goes.

Been thinking about turning(cutting) my rain pants into rain shorts, and sewing in some Velcro at the bottoms so I could re-afix the legs like conversion pants. Reason is I mainly use em in warm weather, but would like to still be able to use in just above freezing temps if need be. Now having said all that, my second thought was if I'm gonna go through all that, then why not just use a rain skirt/kilt...and so I'm following the thread with baited pole and sporran.

I think your second thought is the better one.
Likely the velcro would weigh nearly as much as a rain skirt and you'd have SUL syndrome "one tool that tries to do everything okay instead of two that do one job well"
A 1.1oz MYOG sil-nylon rain skirt would be 2 ounces or less-once I get the kinks worked out of my pattern- ditch the pockets and it would work well- easily 2oz, likely 1.5.
fer ideas and the like-
Judy's- http://www.lightheartgear.com/index.php/rain-gear/product/view/4/24- better design
or Joe's- http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/cloudkilt.shtml- lighter weight
or Yerbyray's looks good too for about the same weight and quite cheap to boot (doubles as a hunk of tyvek to sit on too when called for during dryspells)

Add on weight for pole and sporran as needed.

rocketsocks
06-09-2014, 18:39
I think your second thought is the better one.
Likely the velcro would weigh nearly as much as a rain skirt and you'd have SUL syndrome "one tool that tries to do everything okay instead of two that do one job well"
A 1.1oz MYOG sil-nylon rain skirt would be 2 ounces or less-once I get the kinks worked out of my pattern- ditch the pockets and it would work well- easily 2oz, likely 1.5.
fer ideas and the like-
Judy's- http://www.lightheartgear.com/index.php/rain-gear/product/view/4/24- better design
or Joe's- http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/cloudkilt.shtml- lighter weight
or Yerbyray's looks good too for about the same weight and quite cheap to boot (doubles as a hunk of tyvek to sit on too when called for during dryspells)

Add on weight for pole and sporran as needed.Point taken. another thought, though in a completely different direction was to add a drop down section to my rain jacket to ultimately look like a women full length coat, or there abouts. and when not in use, either roll and stow or something...never got out of the planning stage with this one.

Which brings me to another observation, why don't they make (and maybe they do) a rain jacket that is say 55" in length instead of 30"? Kinda like the old rain slickers we all used growin up.

Just Bill
06-09-2014, 18:53
You can get this snazzy number in XL-
http://www.thenorthface.com/catalog/sc-gear/womens-jackets-vests-filter-category-rainwear/women-8217-s-zoleen-jacket.html?variationId=H4F&variationName=MOJAVE%20DESERT%20TAN
Alas- only medium left- http://www.golite.com/Womens-Urban-Trench-P47083.aspx

Women's jackets are easier to find in "ass" length, Men's tend to be only available longer for the "Mountain" or full winter versions which tend to be too hot to backpack in even in the winter.
Slickers are still around- if you want to banana rubber it up for safety.
Poncho is still thigh length to keep it back on the outdoors track.

Flip out skirt would be easy enough to add with no real weight penalty- and add a handsome wardrobe option to your trail town laundry collection.

yerbyray
06-09-2014, 20:11
Yerbyray- If you wound it around you once and a half (or so) you could dual purpose your tyvek kilt/cowboy camp groundcloth- that'd be very Scottish of you without going overboard.
Tyvek has got to get clammy though? I gave up on M50 (DWR coated fabric) for that reason even though it's lighter- I find the regular uncoated ripstop to be the most comfy.

As you can tell by the pic I am not one for the ultra light hiking/backpacking scene.....Only thing ultralight about me is a brand of beer I might drink.

Clammy was never an issue since it was a kilt. A stiff breeze, no pun intented, kept everything dry.

Mine is made with the pleats in the rear with a flat panel across the front. It closes with a buckle and velcro. The waist is reinforced with 1" webbing.

It is very comfortable and great to hike in.

rocketsocks
06-09-2014, 20:34
You can get this snazzy number in XL-
http://www.thenorthface.com/catalog/sc-gear/womens-jackets-vests-filter-category-rainwear/women-8217-s-zoleen-jacket.html?variationId=H4F&variationName=MOJAVE%20DESERT%20TAN
Alas- only medium left- http://www.golite.com/Womens-Urban-Trench-P47083.aspx

Women's jackets are easier to find in "ass" length, Men's tend to be only available longer for the "Mountain" or full winter versions which tend to be too hot to backpack in even in the winter.
Slickers are still around- if you want to banana rubber it up for safety.
Poncho is still thigh length to keep it back on the outdoors track.

Flip out skirt would be easy enough to add with no real weight penalty- and add a handsome wardrobe option to your trail town laundry collection.Where there ya go, ask and Mr. Nelson shall find, thanks Willie!

squeezebox
06-09-2014, 21:31
Rocket- zip off rain pants sounds reasonable
just bill - I'm impressed with your design and sewing skills
button holes are tough to do.
would velcro get to dirty ?
what about loop and tie?

slbirdnerd
06-10-2014, 12:30
I am a gal and have been thinking of switching to a hiking skirt, as it seems like it would be easier to "do my buisness" and would be cooler in the summer. slbirdnerd does the rubbing of the fabric on your legs chafe ? I usually wear a leotard type short so it does not rub my legs at all.

The kilt itself doesn't rub on your legs at all. The material is like microfiber and it just doesn't rub your legs--they are not tight at all, like the women's hiking skirts--which I thought were all very poorly designed for hiking. If you wear anything udnerneath I wouldn't say it's "easier" to do your business but you certainly have the option of more modesty with the kilt or a skirt.

My biggest problem was what to wear under, because commando is not for me. My camp/sleep shorts are some Danskin bike-length shorts, but I thought they'd be too heavy to wear under the kilt. What I really wanted was for ExOfficio to make a women's boxer brief in that wonderful breathable fabric they use. Since they don't, I'm only a tad embarrassed to say I wore a pair of men's boxer briefs. They were super light and comfortable, but 1: didn't come down on the leg as far as they need to and 2: the inseams actually started to chafe my thigh. On day 6 of 6 I just left the Danskin shorts on instead. They weren't as hot as I thought and I might just look for a similar but lighter pair of those.

Either way, this combo is WAY better than hiking shorts. I have a pic from last week, if I think of it I'll post it tonight.

Rolls Kanardly
06-10-2014, 14:55
I will graciously accept the round of applause given to me for not wearing a kilt. The number of hikers who would have to leave the trail would be exactly equal to the number of hikers who fell off a cliff while laughing at me.

Rolls

Just Bill
06-10-2014, 15:04
2: the inseams actually started to chafe my thigh. .

Stick with briefs, no matter where that lower seam breaks, it always chafes.
Try coconut oil on your thighs while you break in. Other than that, like any other skin- keep it clean and put in the miles and it will toughen up enough so it's not an issue. It takes me a bit each season to build up a little toughness, but once it's there I'm good. No matter how much I try though, the boxers have always caused issues. ExOfficio makes women's briefs that will end your grief.

handlebar
06-10-2014, 23:48
For a sporran I used a very small fanny pack worn in front. My then Sportkilt Hiking Kilt had no pockets and the "sporran" hold maps, GPS, snacks etc

July
06-11-2014, 00:28
This sounds like a Viking thread

July
06-11-2014, 00:34
See:
Old Norse.

gklott
06-11-2014, 17:04
I nearly always hike in a skirt or kilt. I've settled on these models.
- Asics Love Skirt - shortest, light, and comfortable fabric, contrast color mesh side panel, step in, 13.5" hem, 130g, women XL, $36, same length as my women's SOARK.com supplex full split women's running shorts (which I really like)
- Asics Field Skirt - similar to Love Skirt but without the mesh side panel and narrow waist band, step in, 13.5" hem, 126g, women XL, $20
- Brine Anthem women's game kilt - lacrosse 'kilt', wonderful light mesh fabric, no pleats, drawstring waist, step in, 15" hem, 154 g, women XL, $32
- Brine Siren women's game kilt - lacrosse 'kilt', lightest weight, nice fabric, no pleats, drawstring, like the two leg slits in the front, 15" hem, 122 g, women XL, $38
- RipSkirt Hawaii - wrap with velcro waist, super easy to put on, great stretch fabric, 17.5" hem 164 g, women L (largest size right now) $35
- Sport Kilt hiking kilt - wrap with velcro waist, traditional pleated kilt design, 18" hem, 320 g, women XL, $113 with pockets, belt loops, sown in pleats,
- Sport Kilt original sport kilt - wrap with velcro waist, traditional pleated kilt design, 17" hem, > 400 g, women XL, $102 with pockets, belt loops, sown in pleats

I like the skirt more than the pleated kilt because of the weight and the lower price. I like all the above. Skirts allow you to quickly slip on long underwear when the temps drop. Recommend trying several to see what feels the best to you.

All these skirts/kilts are super comfortable on the trail, exercise walking, or working around the ranch. Always wear commando.

Except for the Sport Kilt, all are available through Amazon.

illabelle
06-12-2014, 04:44
Wow, gklott, a member since 2010, and this is your first post! We're a little late, but welcome to WhiteBlaze. :)

I nearly always hike in a skirt or kilt. I've settled on these models.
- Asics Love Skirt - shortest, light, and comfortable fabric, contrast color mesh side panel, step in, 13.5" hem, 130g, women XL, $36, same length as my women's SOARK.com supplex full split women's running shorts (which I really like)
- Asics Field Skirt - similar to Love Skirt but without the mesh side panel and narrow waist band, step in, 13.5" hem, 126g, women XL, $20
- Brine Anthem women's game kilt - lacrosse 'kilt', wonderful light mesh fabric, no pleats, drawstring waist, step in, 15" hem, 154 g, women XL, $32
- Brine Siren women's game kilt - lacrosse 'kilt', lightest weight, nice fabric, no pleats, drawstring, like the two leg slits in the front, 15" hem, 122 g, women XL, $38
- RipSkirt Hawaii - wrap with velcro waist, super easy to put on, great stretch fabric, 17.5" hem 164 g, women L (largest size right now) $35
- Sport Kilt hiking kilt - wrap with velcro waist, traditional pleated kilt design, 18" hem, 320 g, women XL, $113 with pockets, belt loops, sown in pleats,
- Sport Kilt original sport kilt - wrap with velcro waist, traditional pleated kilt design, 17" hem, > 400 g, women XL, $102 with pockets, belt loops, sown in pleats

I like the skirt more than the pleated kilt because of the weight and the lower price. I like all the above. Skirts allow you to quickly slip on long underwear when the temps drop. Recommend trying several to see what feels the best to you.

All these skirts/kilts are super comfortable on the trail, exercise walking, or working around the ranch. Always wear commando.

Except for the Sport Kilt, all are available through Amazon.

Theosus
06-12-2014, 21:49
I bought a sport kilt in black tartan. Worked very well. No one laughed, but no one commented either. I found it very comfortable with a good range of motion. Still had some underwear chafing issues. Switched from boxer brief to regular brief, and by mile 18 in one day my leg felt like someone was sawing a hole in it. But I like the kilt. I'm not going commando under it, just because people follow you up hills and there are large steps up in some places. I don't want to show more than intended...

gklott
03-30-2015, 16:35
Thanks, illabelle (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/member.php/42036-illabelle) . Avid forum reader. My favorite hiking skirt/kilt is the Brine Siren kilt. it is light, most comfortable, and very fast drying. Cost is reasonable. Provide just enough coverage. Don't like longer kilts that hit my knees.

Francis Sawyer
03-31-2015, 08:47
My daughter has a slightly used prom gown for sale. (Whoever buys it will have to be somewhat busty to fill it out but its a fabulous electric blue with lots of bling!

amishjoe
06-11-2015, 15:10
I have a Utility Kilt from reenacting and have hiked with it. Very comfortable and yes as South Mark says, it is only a skirt if you wear underwear.

VAJeepGuy
06-11-2015, 17:27
I had no idea such a thing even existed, cant recall ever seeing anyone wear one. Learn something new everyday!

Del Q
06-11-2015, 19:42
I bought a kilt years ago, really liked it.................negative was when it was in my pack, way too heavy.

I am back to convertible pants. Warmer, shorts & long pants, lighter, dry faster

Buttercup01
06-11-2015, 20:28
Had to look that up- http://sportkilt.com/category/220/Sporrans.html
Good god though- why would you want to mount a hunk of metal and leather to bounce on your shakey snake as you walked? Let alone what all those tassels would do.

Nothing wrong with the occasional bitter red ale- but this seems excessive:D
I saw a guy who was dressed like that a few weeks ago. Wierd...