PDA

View Full Version : South Cheeha wilderness loop, June1,2.

Tarpcamper75
06-06-2014, 09:31
We hiked the loop on monday and tuesday. This was my first time in Alabama. I couldnt believe we have such great trails so close to pensacola. Cant wait to do it again in the fall. I know where to camp now. I have to give props to my two boys nine and eleven. We did the trail in two days with alot of night hiking. Not one complaint. They were hurting but not complaining. The only complaint I have is the garbage and but wipes laying around the campsites, come on people! Learn to poop in the woods and police your trash! Anyway great trip, I will try to post some pics.

Max

OwenM
06-06-2014, 09:41
Glad you had a good trip. Doing it again in fall is a good idea. It's a different hike with the foliage down, though beautiful, either way. The trash is just a fact of life there. While less prone to policing entire areas when overnighting, I occasionally day and/or nighthike that loop, and sometimes take a garbage bag and latex gloves for Devil's Den in particular, for carrying the trash back to the garbage cans at the lake.

Tarpcamper75
06-07-2014, 10:08
Yeah, its everywhere, the creeks and beaches here are littered too. It drives me crazy. Especially the cigarette butts on the beach! I wish there was a way to enforce the issue.

Nick P
06-07-2014, 11:49
I love that trail. Where did you guys camp? I only discovered the prettiest sites late in my second day. I am in p-cola for a few more weeks--heading to ME for my SOBO attempt on the 25th--so if you ever want to get up for a walk, I need all the conditioning I can get. If you haven't done loops at Sipsey yet, your kids would love it. It stays cooler there also, as you down in a dark canyon.
all the best,
Nick

Tarpcamper75
06-07-2014, 16:50
Hey Nick sounds good, maybe we can get a group from pensacola and the surrounding area together. Always looking for people to hike with. Drop me a pm if you get a trip going. I want to do the Sipsey. We camped about 5 miles in on the Pinhote on top of cheeha. It was in the dark. Good luck on the SOBO.

Last Call
06-07-2014, 20:51
Even closer to Pensacola is the Black Creek Trail in Mississippi, below Hattiesburg. It's a nice trail, but I would rank it slightly below the Sipsey. Even though the Sipsey is 3 hours from me, I consider it my "home" trail. There have been Bigfoot sighting there, also!

OwenM
06-12-2014, 14:25
Yeah, its everywhere, the creeks and beaches here are littered too. It drives me crazy. Especially the cigarette butts on the beach! I wish there was a way to enforce the issue.I just did the loop again, yesterday into this morning. It wasn't bad except Devil's Den, and the trail between it and Lake Chinnabee. Was too mad to even go down to any of the falls, and just passed by them, and the visible trash scattered all around :mad: There is water galore right now with this system of daily thunderstorms we've been having. I have seen it completely dry from Little Caney Head to Adams Gap before, but between the springs and drainages must have crossed flowing water a dozen times coming through there yesterday. My whole time on the Pinhoti was in the clouds. Not much for views, but for some reason that always gives a lot of contrast between the green on the rocks stands, the foliage, and pinestraw. Beautiful in its own way, and sometimes even a little eerie, when there's no wind or noise.

Drybones
06-12-2014, 20:02
I just did the loop again, yesterday into this morning. It wasn't bad except Devil's Den, and the trail between it and Lake Chinnabee. Was too mad to even go down to any of the falls, and just passed by them, and the visible trash scattered all around :mad: There is water galore right now with this system of daily thunderstorms we've been having. I have seen it completely dry from Little Caney Head to Adams Gap before, but between the springs and drainages must have crossed flowing water a dozen times coming through there yesterday. My whole time on the Pinhoti was in the clouds. Not much for views, but for some reason that always gives a lot of contrast between the green on the rocks stands, the foliage, and pinestraw. Beautiful in its own way, and sometimes even a little eerie, when there's no wind or noise.

Good to hear about the water, about 40 of us are hiking to McDill Point Saturday evening to watch fire flies (don't laugh) and a group of us are camping at Turnipseed and plan a midnight swim under Cheaha Falls...those falls are really nice when the water is flowing.

Tarpcamper75
06-13-2014, 11:48
We had plent of water june1st and second.