PDA

View Full Version : 4-day hike NC or Tennessee

EagerBeaver
06-06-2014, 09:51
My family rented a cabin in Murphy, NC for a week, so prior to a week of cabin life I would like to spend 4 days on the AT. Last year my husband and I did a 3 day hike from Springer Mountain to Neels Gap (~32 miles) and loved the trail. This year we would like to do a 4 day/3 night hike in either NC or Tennessee but can't decide where the best stretch would be. I see many posts about hiking GSMNP but I am not sure if everyone hikes that section because it is the prettiest or the easiest with planned shelters. I know it is extremely busy this time of year, luckily we will be hiking mid week and I have checked the shelters for GSMNP and they have availability however maybe hiking in Pisgah, Cherokee, or Nantahala National Forest would be a better section of the AT. We are looking at hiking 33-40 +/- miles pending elevation and other factors. Please advise!

bigcranky
06-06-2014, 10:00
Actually, the Smokies are logisitcally more difficult with the shelters, because of the reservation system. I find them a total PITA for sections.

You could hike from Dick's Creek Gap to Winding Stair Gap in 4 days, I think, and there are plenty of ways to make that a shorter hike if needed. Or hike from US19E in TN south to Erwin - that has some tough climbs but you'll go over the Roan Highlands and that's always fun.

Or just go hike from Neels Gap to Dick's Creek, the next section on the trail.

Nooga
06-06-2014, 11:02
A great loop trail is Standing Indian. Park at the Standing Indian campground. Hike up the Kimsey Creek trail to Deep Gap. Then the AT to Rock Gap. Short road walk back to your car.

bigcranky
06-06-2014, 11:34
I love the Standing Indian loop too, but at ~24 miles it's really only a 2-night hike, or even just an overnight.

map man
06-06-2014, 12:07
The Roan Highlands are my favorite and most scenic section on the AT in TN/NC that I have hiked. You can backpack them (and beyond) by starting at US 19E and hiking south for 30.2 miles to NC226 (Iron Mountain Gap) or 42.0 miles to TN395 (Indian Grave Gap). This section is not terribly close to Murphy, though, compared to the Nantahala Mountains or Great Smoky Mountains.

HooKooDooKu
06-06-2014, 12:24
Concentrating on the sections of GSMNP closest to Murphy, NC... I can't come up with a good AT only hike, especially since one of the primary shelters in that area is closed due to bear activity (Spence Field).

However, I can think of what would make for a cool hike in GSMNP near Murphy that (mostly) makes for a big loop encompassing a part of the AT:
1. Park at the AT/Lakeshore trailhead past Fontana Dam. Hike Lakeshore trail to Eagle Creek trail and up Eagle Creek to Campsite #97.
(NOTE: The hike up this section of Eagle Creek is very easy... but bring some wading shoes because it has many knee-deep(+/-) creek crossings (great on a hot day).
2. Continue up Eagle Creek to the AT. Turn right on the AT and climb to the top of Thunderhead Mtn. After taking in the views, make a U-Turn and follow the AT to Russle Field Shelter.
(NOTE: This will be a killer climb including some of the steepest terrain in GSMNP 3000' in 5 miles... if that's too much, skip the side trip to Thunderhead and optionally go as far as Mollies Ridge Shelter)
3. Continue along the AT, but at Doe Knob, continue strait on Gregory Bald Trail rather than following the AT. Follow Gregory Bald Trail to Campsite #13.
(NOTE: This will be an awesome day - the only ups-n-downs will be the hills of ridge walking, with more downs than ups. You will get to cross Gregory Bald, a place my 7yo was amased at the views, and that night is at one of the best campsites in the park. In addition, The section of Gregory Bald Trail that you will follow is actually an old AT trail before it was rerouted.)
4. Return to Doe Knob and turn down the AT to finish the loop.
(NOTE: Don't forget the side trip to Shuckstack Fire Tower about 1/2 way down the AT.)

illabelle
06-06-2014, 13:30
The Roan Highlands are my favorite and most scenic section on the AT in TN/NC that I have hiked. You can backpack them (and beyond) by starting at US 19E and hiking south for 30.2 miles to NC226 (Iron Mountain Gap) or 42.0 miles to TN395 (Indian Grave Gap). This section is not terribly close to Murphy, though, compared to the Nantahala Mountains or Great Smoky Mountains.

The annual rhododendron festival is June 21-22, so even if you're not interested in the festival, hiking in the Roan Mtn area during June would be worth the drive. Instead of a green tunnel, you'll have a pink one, with pink carpet under your feet.
:)

daddytwosticks
06-06-2014, 15:58
I live in Murphy and have very easy access to many trailheads from Springer up through the Smokies. Bigcranky's suggestion is a great one. But try it southbound (WSG to Dick's), I feel it may be easier. Have a great hike and enjoy the Murphy area. :)

Cookerhiker
06-06-2014, 21:07
For a hike relatively convenient to Murphy and meeting your desired timeframe, I'd suggest Winding Stair Gap (Rt. 64) to the NOC (http://www.noc.com/). Total of 27 miles, lots of up and down. You'll hit the 5,000' level and, weather permitting, see views from Wesser and Wayah Balds. The NOC is a safe place to leave a car and you can get a shuttle from Ron Haven or others on the ATC shuttle list (http://www.appalachiantrail.org/docs/default-document-library/at-shuttles-parking-vandalism-2014-05-3.pdf).

EagerBeaver
06-07-2014, 11:45
Thank you for all the fantastic suggestions and insight. Due to the rhododendrons being in season, we will be hiking through the Roan Mountains starting at US19 E. I need to look at that stretch of the AT and see where the best place to start and end will be, where to leave my car at the end point, who to shuttle us to our starting point, and lastly, planned miles and rest locations each day/night. So excited for the help and knowing the location of our hike. Thank you!

July
06-07-2014, 17:27
Roan Mountain is BEAUTIFUL, enjoy!

Cookerhiker
06-07-2014, 17:56
...who to shuttle us to our starting point, ...

My post right above your's has the live link to the ATC shuttle list.

EagerBeaver
06-10-2014, 15:02
I am looking for information on where to leave my car. I want to hike south from US 19E to either Indian Grave Gap or Iron Mountain Gap. Any suggestions for a safe place close to the trail?

illabelle
06-10-2014, 17:00
I am looking for information on where to leave my car. I want to hike south from US 19E to either Indian Grave Gap or Iron Mountain Gap. Any suggestions for a safe place close to the trail?

http://www.mountainharbour.net/
I haven't used these people, but I've heard good things about them. Their website doesn't indicate it, but I understand that they will do shuttles and provide you with a safe place to park (as well as bed & breakfast). I've read that 19E has a long history of vandalism, so I wouldn't risk parking there.
Another possibility is Bob Peoples at Kincora Hostel in Hampton. We've used him a couple times. Super nice guy. His phone numbers are on the ATC shuttle list.

saltysack
06-10-2014, 22:27
Mountain harbor owners are great....they shuttled me and my dog last winter. I did from iron mtn back to the hostel...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

importman77
06-11-2014, 17:56
+1 on Mountain Harbour. My wife and I spent one night with them in the B&B and they shuttled us twice. Absolutely nothing but good things to say about them.

LostandFound
06-23-2014, 20:55
I am putting together a last minute multi day hike around Nantahala or Roan Mtns. How chilly are the nights, currently at those altitudes? Can I get by with just tshirt, shorts, 55degree synthetic bag, and rain jacket?

dmax
06-23-2014, 22:20
I never trust the weather in the mountains so I normally carry a little more protection. Rain pants can be handy if you get chilled or if the bugs are out bad.

JumpMaster Blaster
06-23-2014, 22:33
I am putting together a last minute multi day hike around Nantahala or Roan Mtns. How chilly are the nights, currently at those altitudes? Can I get by with just tshirt, shorts, 55degree synthetic bag, and rain jacket?

Considering the temps at the town of Roan Mtn, TN (at 3500 feet in elevation) for Friday is forcast to be HI: 71, LO: 61- subtract 5 degrees per 1,000 foot gain in elevation I'd go so far as 7 degrees to compensate for wind up on Roan).

Roan High Knob Shelter is 6,275 feet up, so you're looking at temps at least 16 degrees cooler than down in the valley.

I think this past Saturday night (late) I saw a weather link that said the wx on Roan Mtn was rainy, 39 degrees with 25 mph winds. If someone was expecting balmy 60 degree weather they were certainly in for a surprise!

JumpMaster Blaster
06-23-2014, 22:34
Let me also add that I'm going up to Roan next week and I'm taking rain pants, a long sleeve sleeping shirt, and a 20 degree bag.

JumpMaster Blaster
06-23-2014, 22:35
http://www.wunderground.com/q/zmw:37687.1.99999

Subtract at least 15 degrees and factor in wind.

jfcraft
06-24-2014, 00:43
Hikers Haven in Hampton Tn. is ran by Jeff Craft, and a super nice guy, will provide shuttle's within 100 mile's of his hostel and super cheap!

LostandFound
06-24-2014, 07:13
Thanks for the advice. I'm from FL so I find myself usually overpacking or under packing. I have a 20 degree bag that I really don't want to take, because it doesn't compress well(Northface Catsmeow). I'm thinking about taking a Patagonia Nanopuff jacket/light beanie to supplement my Marmot 55 degree bag. Looks like I'm headed to the Standing Indian loop. Any thoughts?

dmax
06-24-2014, 08:53
Long Branch Trail - AT
AT - Standing Indian
Lower Ridge Trail ( from standing Indian) - Campground

daddytwosticks
06-24-2014, 16:24
Thanks for the advice. I'm from FL so I find myself usually overpacking or under packing. I have a 20 degree bag that I really don't want to take, because it doesn't compress well(Northface Catsmeow). I'm thinking about taking a Patagonia Nanopuff jacket/light beanie to supplement my Marmot 55 degree bag. Looks like I'm headed to the Standing Indian loop. Any thoughts?Based on the next 10 day forecast for this area, what you listed would be fine INHO for sleeping. I tend to be a cold sleeper, but I'd be comfortable with your setup in this area. :)

saltysack
06-24-2014, 17:09
I did loop few weeks back w my new jacks r better 45 deg quilt w light patagoochie cap 1 thermals was lil cold at night but my dog had my jacket....love that loop have done it 3 times

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk