PDA

View Full Version : Jetboil Sol Titanium Stove for $105

colorado_rob
06-06-2014, 10:00
I really love this little stove; efficient as he-double-hockey-sticks, decent total weight (mine is 8.9 ounces, stove and pot), can't say enough good things, I do three 2-3-cup boils every day, a small 4 oz canister lasts me a week:

http://www.campsaver.com/sol-titanium-premium-cooking-system

normally $150, $105 ain't bad for this great stove. Just an FYI for anyone shopping for a Jetboil.

Paddlefoot
06-08-2014, 22:19
I really love this little stove; efficient as he-double-hockey-sticks, decent total weight (mine is 8.9 ounces, stove and pot), can't say enough good things, I do three 2-3-cup boils every day, a small 4 oz canister lasts me a week:

http://www.campsaver.com/sol-titanium-premium-cooking-system

normally $150, $105 ain't bad for this great stove. Just an FYI for anyone shopping for a Jetboil.

Wow. That's a great place. I'm very tempted.

Have you ever used an alcohol stove? I am thinking of a SOBO CDT thru-hike in the near future, and Yogi's book seems to hint that nearly all CDT hikers use alcohol stoves - but I like my canister stove.

I used a JetBoil Flash on my thru of the Colorado Trail last summer and it worked great - but I was using almost all freeze-dried prepared meals for suppers, and would probably be primarily shopping out of grocery stores on the CDT to save money.

July
06-08-2014, 22:39

Have you ever used an alcohol stove? I am thinking of a SOBO CDT thru-hike in the near future, and Yogi's book seems to hint that nearly all CDT hikers use alcohol stoves - but I like my canister stove.

I used a JetBoil Flash on my thru of the Colorado Trail last summer and it worked great - but I was using almost all freeze-dried prepared meals for suppers, and would probably be primarily shopping out of grocery stores on the CDT to save money.
Super Cat...

colorado_rob
06-08-2014, 23:54

I used a JetBoil Flash on my thru of the Colorado Trail last summer and it worked great - but I was using almost all freeze-dried prepared meals for suppers, and would probably be primarily shopping out of grocery stores on the CDT to save money. Yes, tried alcohol; but it is very inefficient fuel-wise, about half the BTU's per ounce as canister fuel, but the real deal-breaker is my complete lack of patience. I want my morning coffee in 2 minutes, not 10! The Sol Ti is extremely efficient, and $105 is a deal.

July
06-08-2014, 23:57
Yes, tried alcohol; but it is very inefficient fuel-wise, about half the BTU's per ounce as canister fuel, but the real deal-breaker is my complete lack of patience. I want my morning coffee in 2 minutes, not 10! The Sol Ti is extremely efficient, and $105 is a deal.
Super Cat...

bigcranky
06-09-2014, 08:06
I'm just about to pull the trigger on this. We've been using a Coleman F1 UL, which is a great little stove and one of only two in the BPL tests to be at all effective in any sort of wind. The other, of course, being the Jetboil. We have a 900ml Snow Peak pot with a homemade cozy, and the whole cook kit less fuel is 11.5oz. But, based on testing, I am using 15ml of fuel to get 2 cups of water to boil, on average in real world conditions (i.e., outside my tent on a hike, not in my kitchen.) So a *large* canister gives me ~15 boils, while all the real world tests I have seen with the Jetboil are getting ~22 boils from a SMALL canister. That's almost 3x as efficient.

On a weekend hike this doesn't make any difference. On a multi-week hike, it does.

An alky stove is fine, if one is patient. I'm not. :)

colorado_rob
06-09-2014, 08:24
... So a *large* canister gives me ~15 boils, while all the real world tests I have seen with the Jetboil are getting ~22 boils from a SMALL canister. That's almost 3x as efficient.

On a weekend hike this doesn't make any difference. On a multi-week hike, it does.

An alky stove is fine, if one is patient. I'm not. :) 22 boils seems a tad optimistic; I think I get more like 15-16 boils from a small canister in my jetboil Sol Ti, but maybe more like 2.5 cups, sometimes 3+, so if strictly 2 cups or less, 22 boils possibly, especially if not to an actual full rolling boil.

I heat a lot of water every day; coffee in the morning (usually 3 cups heated), tea at night plus meal, 6-7 cups a day. Basically one small canister per week, a large lasts two weeks, easy to plan.

Mags
06-09-2014, 08:56
The other disadvantage of the alchy stove (more so out West) is that their legality is coming under increased scrutiny with fire bans.

If you took an alchie stove for a CDT thru-hike, be prepared to go stoveless or have someone at home send you a canister stove.

Needless to say, wood stoves are a definite no-no under these bans.

The pot for solo Jetboil stoves makes it more optimal for water boiling and the meals that go with it vs any type of cooking. (Not that you can't do it...just easier with other stoves)

As always, a compromise in terms of the tool you use.

colorado_rob
06-09-2014, 09:19
Nothing against your post Mags, that good info for some, but I really didn't make the OP to discuss the advantages of Alchy stove vs. canisters, that is discussed ad-nauseum all the time elsewhere on here, it was simply an FYI on a decent price for the Jetboil Sol Ti, a very popular stove though some buy the heavier Flash and aluminum models, maybe at $105 they would consider the lightest and most efficient.

Is there another forum somewhere that just announces good online deals, and avoids annoying posts like "super cat..... super cat" when just posting some info on a deal? If not, there maybe should be one?

bigcranky
06-09-2014, 09:27
Just hit the order button. That's only $5 more than the local price on the Jetboil Flash. 800ml is plenty for what we do, and given my experience with a 900ml Ti pot, I'm quite certain I can make Knorr noodles in this.

Rob, if you're getting 15-16 boils of 2.5 cups, sometimes 3 cups, from a small canister, that's still more than twice as efficient as my current stove. That means we can start the Long Trail with a single small canister, and get a single large canister in Rutland for the northern sections, and never have to worry about how much fuel is left, or carrying two canisters "just in case." That's a huge advantage.

Plus my F1 is kind of falling apart after several years of use. :)

Mags
06-09-2014, 09:51
Nothing against your post Mags, that good info for some, but I really didn't make the OP to discuss the advantages of Alchy stove vs. canisters, tha

My post was in response to Paddlefoot's question about stove use on for the CDT. The question was posed on this thread:

A good solution, if you do not want thread drift, is to use the Straight forward board as it is more strictly moderated.

Cheers!

colorado_rob
06-09-2014, 10:21
My post was in response to Paddlefoot's question about stove use on for the CDT. Yes, I was out of line with my response, sorry, the question was asked. I guess "straight forward" is the place to post found deals.

Mags
06-09-2014, 11:57
No worries. :) Any thread you want to keep strictly to the discussion on hand, without any thread drift, is is good for Straight Forward. If anyone wants to strictly announce a deal and that's it (i.e. no discussion after), let us know and we can close the thread, too.

On-line forums have a funny way of metamorphosing otherwise! :D

It's all good.

If I could justify another stove, that would be great deal. Nearly a third-off retail. Thanks for sharing!!!

bigcranky
06-09-2014, 13:05
I could justify it for myself, so if you want I can justify it for you, too :) .

Compared to [canister stove that I already own], the Sol Ti is lighter, boils faster, boils in wind better, and uses 1/3 the fuel to do so. At 30% off, it's about the same price that I was ready to spend on the Flash, but didn't because of the heavier weight. For a long hike in places that don't allow wood/alcohol/campfires/shelter torches, the fuel efficiency alone makes it worthwhile.

How'd I do? :)

Oh, and Rob, THANK YOU for the tip. Awesome.

Just Bill
06-09-2014, 16:23
LOL- Thanks for posting the deal-no good deed goes unpunished at WB- this stove is rarely/if ever on sale and a popular choice.
For the budget conscious- the full line is on sale-
$53 for the zip- http://www.campsaver.com/zip-cooking-system
$84 for the AL- http://www.campsaver.com/sol-aluminum-advanced-cooking-system

Mags
06-09-2014, 16:42
I could justify it for myself, so if you want I can justify it for you, too :) .

Mrs Mags' 40th birthday is today.
She graduates with her master's degree next month.

I will not be spending $105 on a stove for me. :)

Unless any of my fellow married men want to give me a great trick on how to spin a new stove
into a birthday and/or graduation gift ??? ;)

Just Bill
06-09-2014, 16:52
Unless any of my fellow married men want to give me a great trick on how to spin a new stove
into a wedding and/or graduation gift ??? ;)
It's the only item you could find that is as well thought out, efficient, and reliably produces that warm satisfied feeling in your belly that Mrs. Mags does?

Best of luck, if nothing else, hopefully her new edjamacation makes you a rich man.

bigcranky
06-09-2014, 18:01
into a birthday and/or graduation gift ??? ;)

Adios, amigo, you're on your own... :)

Although my lovely wife gave me a GREAT opening after work today when she asked me what we were going to do for fuel on this hike, and I said, "hey, I took care of that this morning." Couldn't have planned it better. :)

Paddlefoot
06-09-2014, 22:15
Yes, I was out of line with my response, sorry, the question was asked. I guess "straight forward" is the place to post found deals.

My apologies for causing thread drift.

I've just been inclined to stick with a canister and was surprised that Yogi's guide said virtually all CDT thru-hikers were using alcohol - I'm tired of the debate of alcohol vs. canister as well - but I appreciate your posts (Mags, too) and couldn't resist picking your brain a little.