PDA

View Full Version : Do you use Dr Scholls Custom Fit Orthotics Inserts?

Ricky&Jack
06-06-2014, 19:02
Most of you by now have seen those Dr Scholls machines in places such as walmart etc, where you stand on the machine barefoot and the machine scans your feet and recommends a custom foot insole number to fit you better to help with high arches, flat feet, etc.

I have never used them, ever. But i was wondering if anyone here has used them in their hiking boots or trail runners.

If you haven't used them for hiking, but have used them for everyday shoes, feel free to input as well.

brian039
06-06-2014, 19:23
Most people use the Super Feet inserts but I don't like them as they are hell breaking-in.

Yankytyke
06-06-2014, 20:29
My wife & I both use them. Well worth the money!
My feet used to ache like crazy after a few hours. Not anymore! I don't do the camp dance like on the adverts but pretty close.

Damn Yankee
06-06-2014, 21:58
I use SOLE inner soles which are heat moldable. The Dr. Sholes are like gel pads and I did not think they would hold up.

Ricky&Jack
06-06-2014, 23:17
do you remove the original soles that came with the shoes/boots? Or just place your new ones on top?

Lyle
06-07-2014, 06:10
do you remove the original soles that came with the shoes/boots? Or just place your new ones on top?

You remove the manufacturer insole.

I use Green Superfeet. Great improvement over the ones that come with shoes. I preferred the old style Orange, but Superfeet ruined them for marketing purposes - that was the reason I got from an actual Superfeet representative when I complained. Not sure why the manufacturers, who are supposed to know about feet and shoes put such poor, inadequate insoles in their products.

peakbagger
06-07-2014, 07:01
I use Montrail heat moldable inserts on my trail runners. The arch is bit more aggressive than the inserts in the runners, but I find they add a little bit of extra arch support when hiking in the rocks in the whites. When I first got them it took a couple of weeks to get used to the arch support as my New balances didn't have much. They do take up a slight bit more volume in the shoes so plan accordingly.

I used to use superfeet but like the montrails better

SunnyWalker
06-07-2014, 09:23
I have a pair I purchased at Wal-Mart and I use them while I am waiting for my real orthotics to be made. My Podiatrist took a custom mold of my feet last week and I hope to have them soon. The Wal-mart ones-I have no complaints just wonder if they really are good. I lost my original ones that I had had made. On the inner sole removal issue-yes, I have to remove the inner sole type of layer to make room for the inserts whether they are the Wal-Mart type of ones from my Podiatrist. The ones from my Podistrist are made out of plastic and unlike the Wal-Mart ones will not absorb liquid like sweat and water, etc. I wondered at first if I would like a "hard" thing to stand on but ran marathons with them, ran, walked, hiked, worked, etc., in them and they always felt great.