PDA

View Full Version : Tree Huggers - What size?

JoeHiker
09-28-2005, 22:31
I'm hiking in Vermont this fall along the Long Trail with my Hennessey Hammock. Due partly to circumstance, I have come into the possession 3 different sizes of tree huggers.

- the originals that came with the hammock
- a pair of 72" length (1.5" width)
- a pair of 96" length (1.5" width)

I've experimented on some trees around here (in the Boston area), setting up my hammock with the originals and the 96"-ers. I like the improved snugness around the tree that the longer huggers give me but a lot of times the length is such that after a few wraps around the tree they don't come to an end where I want them too. They stick too far out or don't reach all the way around.

So I'm wondering which set I should bring. What do most people here use. I guess you all use the stock length, right?

neo
09-28-2005, 22:35
i use 66 x 1 in tree huggers with my non asym ultra light bacpacker:cool:

jackiebolen
09-29-2005, 12:18
Go with the originals...the AT isn't exactly old-growth rainforest! I hammocked and never had trouble finding trees along the AT.

Just Jeff
09-29-2005, 18:00
The huggers don't have to wrap all the way around the tree, either. You can use the Spectra to connect the ends of the hugger.

If the Spectra is tight against the tree, just break some twigs and insert them vertically between the Spectra and tree so they hold the Spectra away from the tree. That way, the damage is done to the broken twigs and the tree is fine.

Seeker
09-30-2005, 01:15
i use the originals. i second what jeff said, and will add that the "spacers" may also keep rain from running down the tree directly onto your tieout and from there running into the hammock... lets a lot of rain just go on by, down the trunk and onto the ground...

JoeHiker
09-30-2005, 10:13
I'm going to test a bit more this weekend but I guess I'll go with the originals and perhaps bring one of the longer ones just for some added flexibility.

Thanks for the responses.

JoeHiker
10-03-2005, 10:46
I tested again this weekend and it really was hit or miss. Some trees, the originals were great, some, the 72" were better. On a couple, I actually preferred the 96" (though I won't be bringing those.

I think I'm going to take one of my 1.5-inch wide 96"-ers, cut it in half to make two 44"-ers. That way I'll have two like the originals only wider. Then I'll bring one extra 72"-er with me on the trail just in case

Patrick
10-03-2005, 11:00
JustJeff, I like the twig idea.

I camped on a small island Friday night. Where I camp, there are only four or five trees and only two of them are at all positioned for hammocking, and they're huge. My tree hugger got maybe halfway around one of them and the resulting setup was less than ideal.

I had to use so much of the hammock line to tie it off, that I only had a bit left over for the actual knot. Also, I was worried about the wear and tear on my line as much as the tree.

I was thinking at the time that longer straps might be worth the weight. It was a pretty specific situation that I've never had on the trail though, so I'm still not sure.

attroll
10-03-2005, 11:09
The huggers don't have to wrap all the way around the tree, either. You can use the Spectra to connect the ends of the hugger.

If the Spectra is tight against the tree, just break some twigs and insert them vertically between the Spectra and tree so they hold the Spectra away from the tree. That way, the damage is done to the broken twigs and the tree is fine.
Jeff you lost me. What is a Spectra?

Just Jeff
10-03-2005, 11:58
Spectra is the cord Hennessy uses for the hammock supports. Very light and strong - the Backpacker model has about 9' on each side, and the cord supports 1450 lbs. One end is attached permanently to the hammock, and the other end gets lashed through the tree huggers.

If the hugger doesn't wrap all the way around the tree, you thread the Spectra cord through one hugger loop, wrap it the rest of the way around the tree, and thread it through the other loop. Then just bring it back to the center and lash it to itself. This may cause the Spectra to contact the tree, and since it's such a thin cord it can damage the tree. So you can put some twigs between the Spectra and the tree, which holds the cord off the tree, preventing damage, while still giving the hammock the support it needs.

attroll
10-03-2005, 12:19
Ok, got you know. I have had that problem and never thought of doing this to cure it. Thanks

DLFrost
10-03-2005, 14:44
I camped on a small island Friday night. Where I camp, there are only four or five trees and only two of them are at all positioned for hammocking, and they're huge. My tree hugger got maybe halfway around one of them and the resulting setup was less than ideal.
If you can get halfway or more around a tree you're usually ok. That's where most of your weight gets applied to the tree. The stock HH lines can span up to a quarter of the tree's circumference without harming it, in my experience.

The real problem with camping under large trees is what might be up there waiting to come down on you. <i>Always</i> check for deadfall and widowmakers when you set up a hammock.

When going into unfamiliar territory I take two long (10-15 foot) ploy straps just in case. (This paid off in Big South Fork N.P. where I ended up bending both of them together to tie off the entry end of a HH to a huge, partially downed tree.) In most forests you'll end up tying off to just one large tree at a time--there's usually a smaller sized tree near it. So lightweighters can just one 10-15 foot poly strap and make it work even in odd setups.

Doug Frost

Patrick
10-03-2005, 15:08
Widowmakers, I like that. Makes me sound like a tough guy.

Carrying one long strap is an excellent idea. That would have served me well the other night and it does always seem like you end up with one big tree and one regular sized one.

JustJeff, is the Spectra what I'm actually touching when I handle the line or is that just a covering? I'm a little paranoid about damaging my ropes.

Just Jeff
10-03-2005, 18:06
HH ropes are pretty tough. I think Spectra is the core on the inside, and it usually has a poly braid sheath on the outside to protect it, and to provide friction to hold knots. But the line is called "Spectra" or "Spectra-core". I'm not an expert...someone correct me if I'm wrong.

food
10-03-2005, 18:31
Long Tree Huggers often are needed here in the Rockies. A 7mm kernmantle rope about 3' long tied to the tree hugger loops with a slipped sheetbend make very good extenders. It seems the tree huggers still protect the tree as long as they go about 2/3 around the tree.

Curt
10-06-2005, 11:53
I just came home from an overnight backpacking trip. When I was attaching the Hennessy hammock to the straps (tree huggers) at night, I noted that the spectra cords were getting bad. I need to replace them. My question is where can I buy spectra cords and how diificult is to attach them to the hammock? Also, where can I buy longer straps than the ones that come with the hammock?

Thank you, :clap

Corsican

Just Jeff
10-06-2005, 12:13
HH sells longer huggers on his site. They're really easy to make, though.

Spectra can be bought at most climbing stores, including REI.