PDA

View Full Version : Front Royal bus service or Car Rental

rainmaker
09-28-2005, 22:37
We are planning a section hike from the James River Foot Bridge to Front Royal the first two weeks in November. We plan on leaving our car in Lynchburg if possible. Is there any public transportation, car rentals or shuttles from Front Royal to Lynchburg?

Lucy Lulu
09-29-2005, 10:03
I rented a car in Front Royal. I believe it was Enterprise. I did not have a one way trip, but if Lynchburg has an Enterprise office, you may not have a problem renting one way. I'm not sure about shuttles.

Mayfly

Skyline
09-29-2005, 10:09
Greyhound discontinued its Shenandoah Valley bus service this summer. Now you have to go to Charlottesville.

Stabes
10-02-2005, 16:55
I rented a car one way from DC to Front Royal for $30 and they drop you off at the trail.Peter Pan
Ga-Me '05

mooseboy
05-08-2009, 12:48
I realize this is an old thread, but I might as well update the info: There is now a commuter bus service to/from Front Royal/D.C. (including Union Station and Vienna Metro Station). They leave from the Park & Ride north of town, near the Interstate. It costs $20 one-way.

They're called Valley Connector, and this is their website:

http://shenvalleyconnector.com/home

I haven't ridden it myself, so I can't vouch for how easy it is to carry a large backpack on board... Also, if you're leaving FROM Front Royal, the departures all leave SUPER-early, ranging 4:45 to 5:25 a.m... which is kind of a drawback. It's a commuter bus primarily, so the buses leaving D.C. are late afternoon/early evening. Still, this is the only way I've found to get to Front Royal on public transport since Greyhound disappeared from the Shenandoah Valley.

If anyone here has ridden it, feel free to share your experience, since I might use it myself in the near future... (though I have to admit Stabes' one-way car rental sounds like a good idea...) :)

mooseboy
05-08-2009, 12:59
BTW, Stabes, I'm guessing you used Enterprise since they're the only rental car chain in Front Royal-- $30 is pretty good for 1 day, so I'm assuming they didn't charge you a one-way fee? Thanks,

Mooseboy