PDA

View Full Version : Precedent for shuttles

perrymk
06-08-2014, 06:31
I've thought a small shuttle operation would be the ideal (for me) retirement business. The problem is of course insurance and whatever other regulations might be in place. I'm not suggesting that insurance and regulations aren't needed; they most certainly are.

I've also thought about the consequence of one got pulled over and a shuttlee (is that a word?) dropped some illegal substance in my vehicle. Maybe I've watched too many episodes of Cops on TV.

Today I read in the paper a man lost his vehicle for providing a ride in Miami using a new smartphone app. I think this one was called Lyft but there is another that is supposed to be even more popular. I'm not fully aware how these things work, but it sounds like one posts asking for a ride and another offers to provide, and whatever deal is made is made between them. It had been a fine-able offense previously but apparently Dade County (Miami, FL) decided to up the consequences.

I know I've provided a ride on occasion to hikers at no charge (I turned down their offer) and once paid a park volunteer for a shuttle and did not think anything of it. But no one was making a living at it and as far as I know it was pretty much a one time thing.

Comments? How are all of you handling this?

peakbagger
06-08-2014, 09:24
I expect that he ran afoul of various electronic attempts to get around various regulations in place generally in urban areas to regulate cabs. I don't think that if you offer a free ride that you can get in trouble but I expect if the individual challenges it in court it will be interesting to see how it was established if a financial transaction occurred.

Slo-go'en
06-08-2014, 10:20
I also suspect there is more to that story then someone providing an occasional ride. Most likely he was operating more like an unlicensed taxi service.

Operating a shuttle service to a specific type of client (hikers) in a rural area where there are likely no local regulations on such a service would be a completely different situation.

Pedaling Fool
06-08-2014, 10:35
10-K could add some to this thread, but I believe he's on a trip now. IIRC, he got licensed to do this and may have even gotten legal advice. It sounds like something you do not want to start doing without contingency planning -- at least not in today's world of litigation.

Cookerhiker
06-08-2014, 13:58
10-K is hiking the PCT right now. You could send a PM to Skyline. He doesn't operate his shuttle any more but he could still provide some advice.

Tuckahoe
06-08-2014, 14:13
10-K could add some to this thread, but I believe he's on a trip now. IIRC, he got licensed to do this and may have even gotten legal advice. It sounds like something you do not want to start doing without contingency planning -- at least not in today's world of litigation.

+1
10-K has posted in a number if threads about becoming a legal and insured shuttle provider. It would be worth doing searches on his past posts, especially within the last two or so years. As I recall a big part of his advice is about shuttle operators properly protecting themselves, their assets and their clients.

Ricky&Jack
06-08-2014, 14:23
Lyft gets you in trouble because you are technically working as a cheaufer without a license.

So....... offer "For $20, I will sell you a can of soda.... and as a free gift, I'll shuttle you around as a courtesy"

Tuckahoe
06-08-2014, 15:33
Lyft gets you in trouble because you are technically working as a cheaufer without a license.

So....... offer "For $20, I will sell you a can of soda.... and as a free gift, I'll shuttle you around as a courtesy"

And the courts and lawyers will tell you that that BS $20 coke just cost you all of your assets as the result of an accident because you were still a driver for hire. Your insurance company will tell you that they are not covering the claim because no matter how clever you think the $20 coke is, they know you were operating commercially.

HooKooDooKu
06-08-2014, 15:54
I've also thought about the consequence of one got pulled over and a shuttlee (is that a word?) dropped some illegal substance in my vehicle. Maybe I've watched too many episodes of Cops on TV.
That should be a non-issue. If you are operating commercially, you should always be operating within the bounds of the law. If you are always operating within the bounds of the law, you've got no reason to ever be pulled over and therefore never give a client reason to drop some illegal substance in your vehicle.

perrymk
06-08-2014, 17:23
That should be a non-issue. If you are operating commercially, you should always be operating within the bounds of the law. If you are always operating within the bounds of the law, you've got no reason to ever be pulled over and therefore never give a client reason to drop some illegal substance in your vehicle.
I have been stopped at checkpoints and once or twice "just because."

If one is operating with proper commercial licenses one has a certain amount of deniability regarding what is in the vehicle. A taxi driver in Tampa once told me a person could drink alcohol in a taxi. He said its just like a limo in that one has hired a driver. I assume a shuttle would be similar.

On the other hand, the time I gave a ride to hikers was not a commercial transaction so I would likely be required to assume responsibility for anything in my car, unless of course the passenger owned up to it.

Ricky&Jack
06-08-2014, 18:26
And the courts and lawyers will tell you that that BS $20 coke just cost you all of your assets as the result of an accident because you were still a driver for hire. Your insurance company will tell you that they are not covering the claim because no matter how clever you think the $20 coke is, they know you were operating commercially.

I meant it as a joke/sarcasm.

Im a long haul flat bed driver and we took courses by the dept of transportation about hitchhikers etc. (theres websites similar to craiglist where people post "I need a ride from Miami going as close to las vegas as possible. Will Pay $100.... as example) and we were told of the illegal consequences.

I wasnt meant to be serious.

pelenaka
06-08-2014, 19:17
I've thought a small shuttle operation would be the ideal (for me) retirement business.

SMH ... not so sure about that after reading threads about how bad hikers treat shuttle drivers but that is just me.

I'd start talking to the local government officials in the areas you are looking to provide service to, might be the deciding factor in making your location choice. SBA can help you write a biz plan & finding grants.

As to getting busted for a joint hidden in the crack of a car seat, I would hope that if you were only providing shuttles thus helping the local economy Po Po would know the score if they knew you.