PDA

View Full Version : Massachusetts Novices Looking for Advice

iushomir
06-08-2014, 11:43
Hello everyone,

Two of us - a 26 year old female and male - are thinking seriously about doing a section hike mid July. We technically have about 8 or 9 days that we could be out - I have vacation from work and he has summers off. Here's the thing - neither of us have ever done an overnight with packs. We have done lots of hiking and lots of camping, but not hiking with all of our gear and food and sleeping off the side of the trail. We have time to bumble around and make mistakes - we don't need to hike 10 miles a day like a lot of you do (or more!), but we want the experience and the challenge. And we come from outdoorsy families so we have pretty much all the gear already.

Here's what I am wondering: what section should we do? We both live in Boston but will be able to arrange a dropoff and pickup within a few hours of here. We are looking for a section of trail with plenty of water this time of year and refueling locations as often as possible. We might want to do three days/two nights on the trail, or something like that, followed by one night in a hostel to recuperate, and then continue. We are novices but we are also young and in OK shape - this will be challenging, but I think that if we set our sights on pacing ourselves and not going too far each day, we should be ok. I am a 5'1 female and am somewhat concerned with the weight of a pack. He actually enjoys the feeling of carrying weight (???) so I may load him up with more than 25 lb and take less myself.

Our biggest question is about where to start/end around this area. Any additional advice is appreciated.

All the best.

Cookerhiker
06-08-2014, 13:49
I suggest hiking in your native state. While little of the AT is "easy," the Massachusetts section is easier IMO (and that of many others) than CT or VT. If you start at the Rt. 7 crossing south of Great Barrington and hike north, it's 72 miles to Rt. 2 in North Adams. That's less than 10 mpd for the time you have. You'll gradually become conditioned such that the Mt. Greylock ascent on your last day won't be as difficult as it would be if you hiked this same stretch in reverse. You pass through 2 towns (albeit only 9 miles apart) where you can resupply or at least have a meal - Dalton & Cheshire. You can also hitch into Lee from the Rt. 20 crossing. I don't know of a hostel in Lee but there are motels.

As I recall, the part from Rt. 7 to Rt. 23 has some rugged footing so you won't stride but when you consider the overall pace of less than 10 mpd, you'll be fine.

Teacher & Snacktime
06-08-2014, 15:10
Try to incorporate an overnight at Upper Goose Pond Cabin in your trip. The trail to the south of it isn't too tough, and the cabin and lake are the best part of the AT in MA. Snacktime and I will be doing a return trip there sometime this summer.

gsingjane
06-08-2014, 16:23
One thing you might want to consider is starting at the MA/CT border and just seeing how far you get. You can start off at the Undermountain lot on Rt. 41 just south of the border, and maybe your first overnight could be at Sage's Ravine. Some of the climbs in the first few days (esp. Mt. Everett) aren't what I'd call "easy," but the campsites and lean-tos are spaced such that you wouldn't have to unduly stress yourself. (Backpacking will turn out to be harder than you think it's going to be, at least if my experience is any guide.)

In terms of places to stay, I am overnighting at the South Egremont Inn which for you would come about 3 days into your trek. It's not cheap (I'm paying $125) but it looks very nice, and it's only about a mile off the trail. If you did want to consider staying there I'd contact them right away because, as has been noted on other threads, and as you probably know already being Massachusetts residents, the Berkshires is Getaway Central in the summer, and getting overnight lodgings is similar to finding something on Cape Cod for July.

I hope you have a wonderful time!

Jane

rafe
06-08-2014, 16:23
The AT in Massachussets is as flat as the AT gets. Greylock is the only half-serious summit. There are plenty of road crossings and access points. The trail goes right through Cheshire, Dalton and North Adams, and just barely misses Great Barrington. There's a beautiful glen (Sages Ravine) right at the CT-MA border, then a couple of mild climbs. There's a really nice AMC facility (Upper Goose Pond) just south of where the AT crosses Rte. 20.

burger
06-08-2014, 17:27
All of the above suggestions for places to hike are good. A bit closer to home, you could also do a section on the New England Trail. The section from Rte. 2 north to Monadnock is great and has a few moderate climbs plus a lot of easier stuff.

One piece of advice though: if you've never done a backpacking trip before, I highly recommend that you try an overnighter or two before you jump into a section hike. You don't want discover that your sleep system doesn't work or your shoes don't fit or your pack rubs you wrong on the first day of an 8 or 9 day hike. Do an overnighter or two first, tweak your gear as necessary, and then jump off on a section hike.

Leanthree
06-08-2014, 19:08
If you are going to do Mass, I'd start in Salisbury, CT as it is a cute little town, Mt. Race is pretty special, as is Sages Ravine. Starting there would set you up for night 3 in Great Barrington most likely (you can get into town from either the south or the east so it is a bit flexible), but there are so many options for cool town stops in MA that you have some flexibility based on your uncertain hiking pace for resupply and for your hostel stop.

Bring bug repellent, especially for the stretch just south of Dalton that can be a bit swampy.

illabelle
06-08-2014, 19:57
Sending you a PM with contact info for the shuttler we will be using for our Massachusetts hike this fall.
Hope you have a great time!

jpassehl
06-08-2014, 20:22
If you are going to do Mass, I'd start in Salisbury, CT as it is a cute little town, Mt. Race is pretty special, as is Sages Ravine. Starting there would set you up for night 3 in Great Barrington most likely (you can get into town from either the south or the east so it is a bit flexible), but there are so many options for cool town stops in MA that you have some flexibility based on your uncertain hiking pace for resupply and for your hostel stop.

Bring bug repellent, especially for the stretch just south of Dalton that can be a bit swampy.

Yesssss, this section just before the border is my favorite! The landscape is so beautiful.

Teacher & Snacktime
06-08-2014, 22:19
Sending you a PM with contact info for the shuttler we will be using for our Massachusetts hike this fall.
Hope you have a great time!

Can you send us that info too, please?

quasarr
06-09-2014, 04:04
Hi, welcome to WB. :)

Others have already given good advice on places to hike, so I just thought I would comment on something else.

If you are worried about carrying too much weight, you can post the gear list you plan to bring. Then others can offer some feedback, and maybe you can drop a pound or two (or more!). And while your boyfriend is pretty cavalier about a heavy pack, he may change his mind at the end of a hard day or slogging up a hill. (you say he has also never hiked with all his gear before, so he probably isn't 100% sure what he is getting himself into!) For the short section you plan, you will probably be fine in any case. But almost everybody is happier with a lighter weight. :)

illabelle
06-09-2014, 05:21
Can you send us that info too, please?

Done! Hope you enjoy your time in Massachusetts. :)

peakbagger
06-09-2014, 06:59
Whatever you do, plan an overnight with the same gear load with some extra weight to simulate 4 or 5 days of food. Take notes and when you get back, figure out what worked and what didn't. Don't skip this step as its will really help when you do the longer trip.

I personally would consider VT south of Killington. A bit more remote but some real nice hiking

Migrating Bird
06-09-2014, 07:38
One thing you might want to consider is starting at the MA/CT border and just seeing how far you get. You can start off at the Undermountain lot on Rt. 41 just south of the border, and maybe your first overnight could be at Sage's Ravine. Some of the climbs in the first few days (esp. Mt. Everett) aren't what I'd call "easy," but the campsites and lean-tos are spaced such that you wouldn't have to unduly stress yourself. (Backpacking will turn out to be harder than you think it's going to be, at least if my experience is any guide.)

In terms of places to stay, I am overnighting at the South Egremont Inn which for you would come about 3 days into your trek. It's not cheap (I'm paying $125) but it looks very nice, and it's only about a mile off the trail. If you did want to consider staying there I'd contact them right away because, as has been noted on other threads, and as you probably know already being Massachusetts residents, the Berkshires is Getaway Central in the summer, and getting overnight lodgings is similar to finding something on Cape Cod for July.

I hope you have a wonderful time!

Jane

This would be an excellent intro to backpacking. There is ample parking at the Undermountian Trailhead. It is an up hill to the top of Bear Mt. great view and then a very short but steep decent to Sages Ravine and the campsite. FYI, No Fires allowed. This would be ideal for the first day as it should only take about 3 hours to reach Sages Ravine for your first night. There is ample water at SR. The next day you could hike over Race MT. not difficult, great views to the east. Second night camp at Race Brook Falls again good water. Then comes Mt. Everett, with views to the east.

If you are ahead or behind schedule it is easy to adjust. Don't rush it. Upper Goose Pond Cabin is a must stay. Egermont, Gt. Barrington, Tyringham, Lee, Dalton/Pittsfield, Cheshire and Williamstown, North Adams all have nice B&B's or hotels and stores to resupply (except Tyringham). As mentioned above it is the height of the season, so reservations are suggested and expect to pay $$$. I suggest getting the AT Companion & maps or AWOLS guide. Guthook's App works well but should not be a substitute for map and guide. These will list services near the trail.

Good luck, have a great time.

lemon b
06-09-2014, 10:09
I'd suggest Undermountain Road, than head North at a comfortable Pace. The only semi long walk would be from North Wilcox over to Goose Pond. Usually I skip Goose Pond Cabin(too many people)., If raining it is a nice dry out spot, Than go to Oct Mt Shelter, Than Kay Wood. Maybe next Crystal Mt., the hike from there to top of Greylock has nice views, and there is a shelter 3/4 the way up. Water there can be iffy but is fine this year. Than I'd go up and over Greylock down to Rte 2 . Easy 8 days, usually a lot less. I'd resuppy in Great Barrington and Dalton/ Pittsfield. Never going to need more than two maybe three days food. Slow and easy. And there are sleth places to set up using LNT. All along that route.

leatherwheels
06-09-2014, 11:23
I did the stretch from Sheffield to Washington MA over a 5 day long July 4th weekend last year with a small group (days 1 and 5 were also travel days so they were half days hiking, only about 5 - 6 miles each of those days) If your hike includes this stretch definitely bring good bug spray and I'd highly recommend a bug net for your head, the mosquitoes hiking into and at the Tom Leonard lean to were brutal and then at Shaker campsite also. Personally I put the bottoms on my convertible pants and wore a very thin long sleeve in camp and the bug net on my head when I wasn't eating. I am from Milford, MA and got my head net as well as some other goods at the Natick Outdoor Store. It was under $5 and very compact and light weight - well worth the space in my pack. We tented so they weren't an issue while sleeping. There are some nice views from Tom Leonard if you go behind the rocks that are in front of the shelter, but when I do it again I might stop at Tom Leonard briefly or hike thru it and stay at one of the shelters between there and Shaker.

We never had an issue finding water on that stretch but be sure to treat it. We double treated as a precaution - used a filter and I also used AquaMira and no one got sick. Also, all of the sites we stayed at, and I think almost all the ones in MA, have bear boxes so you do not need to hang your food. Maybe someone else can confirm this?

I have heard also, as mentioned above, that the section of CT just before the MA border is really nice.

Hope this is helpful and enjoy your hike.

ChefATLTCT
06-12-2014, 17:34
Good to see a fellow Cantabridgian ready for a hike, anywhere on the AT Mass is a great hike, lf you start south of Mt Race/Everett it can be a tough hike the first day and there are no legal campsites for 14 miles or so after Mt everett. After that plenty of camping. This summer I'm hiking North Adams to manchester ctr VT. A great hike but a little harder than Mass AT.