PDA

View Full Version : New All-weather point & shoot camera needed

CarlZ993
06-08-2014, 13:14
The camera I took on the AT last year - Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS20 - may have bit the dust. I got an 'System Error (Zoom)' message when I turn it on. I called customer service & they want me to send it back to them for repair.

I'm not sure if the repair will be completed prior to me leaving on my Colorado Trail hike. Any suggestions on make/model of similar cameras? Much as I hate to buy another camera, I can't do that hike w/o an all-weather camera.

Thanks...

Wise Old Owl
06-08-2014, 13:29
I have had many different models of point and shoot and they have different issues on the trail - one stood out over the years my vote is Nikon Cool Pix and get the best optical zoom you can find...

July
06-08-2014, 13:57
Check out the Olympus "tough" models...

CarlZ993
06-08-2014, 23:13
Wise Old Owl & July... Will check them out. Thanks..

Schnitzel
06-09-2014, 07:16
I just got back from a largish section of the AT - I brought along a Nikon AW100 - that thing was bombproof!!! It lived in the belt pocket of my pack, and got wet, and banged around, and all sorts of trauma, not to mention the batteries held a charge for WEEKS. Not only that, but I had it stuck on the "automatic" setting, because I know nothing of photography, but I ended up taking pictures that earned many favorable comments on my husbands photography forums, etc, and a great print or two for the wall. . . I recommend the AW100, or the newer model, highly.

bad biscuit
06-09-2014, 12:13
Check out the Olympus "tough" models...

I have the Olympus TG-1 and have had it from 55 ft underwater off the coast of Mexico to many trips in the woods. Waterproof, shockproof, crushproof, freezeproof, and dustproof. And it takes great pictures.

Mobius
06-09-2014, 12:59
I've got a TS-1 (now retired, though it still works) and a TS-5 in that same line. They're beefier (and heavier) than the TS-x0 series but same weather/drop-proof features.

My favorite feature on the TS-5 is the intervalometer when I hike solo. You can set it to take photos every 10/20/30/60 seconds for pretty much as long as you want. It's nice to setup the camera and be in your own shot without the limit of a 10 second self timer. Sometimes my destination is further than 10 seconds away. Stroll over, shift poses every 10 seconds for a bit, walk back.

I don't use the GPS feature on the TS-5, but it has one. It cannot show in RAW if that's important to you (the TS-20 couldn't either).

pyro_
06-09-2014, 13:49
Olympus TG-1/2/3 series camera