PDA

View Full Version : Question about air travel

FL Grandma
06-09-2014, 12:10
Anyone have experience with airlines and transporting your gear? I specifically want to know if it is allowed to pack a stove in the checked bag. I know they don't allow fuel... Any suggestions about packing gear for airline travel would also be appreciated.

illabelle
06-09-2014, 12:26
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?93541-Stove-in-checked-luggage-not-allowed

QiWiz
06-09-2014, 13:49
Anyone have experience with airlines and transporting your gear? I specifically want to know if it is allowed to pack a stove in the checked bag. I know they don't allow fuel... Any suggestions about packing gear for airline travel would also be appreciated.

I use my pack as my carry-on luggage and put everything in it that TSA will allow, which would include a stove that has no fuel. Things that TSA won't allow I either purchase after arriving at my destination (eg. alcohol fuel), put into checked luggage, or ship to myself (P.O. or UPS store) at my destination. When I really want to take fuel with me on a plane, I have been successful with Esbit on a number of occasions (100% success so far). I have called TSA on the phone to ask about Esbit (TSA is not familiar with it), and been told it is allowed on a plane (What is Esbit? "You can light it and use it to warm up food like a candle") or that it is not allowed (What is Esbit? "It is stove fuel"). You can take your chances. When I have taken it in carry-on or checked luggage, I have double-bagged it with my heat sealer.

Shutterbug
06-09-2014, 20:14

I put my Jet Boil in checked baggage all the time. Most of the time, I wrap it in aluminum foil, but sometimes I don't. There has never been a problem.

That being said, one time I overlooked canister of fuel and left it in my bag. TSA didn't catch it.

Feral Bill
06-09-2014, 20:24
White gas stoves are another matter. The airlines will not allow them, and TSA supports this.

MuddyWaters
06-09-2014, 21:41
Depends on the airline. Now, what they say, and what they do, and what TSA does, are 3 totally different things.
Do you feel lucky?

From United Airlines website:" Lanterns, stoves and heating equipment which use liquid fuel, propane, butane or similar will not be accepted as baggage in accordance with dangerous goods regulations."

Don H
06-10-2014, 08:03
TSA has all the info you need:
http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/prohibited-items#5

I put my pack in a large duffle bag. I also pack a USPS large box and tape to ship the duffle back home.
Place hiking poles inside the duffle wrapped in cardboard or a foam sleeping pad to prevent breakage.
I have the duffle sent to me at the end of the trip to send the pack back in. If not practical I buy a laundry bag to ship the pack in.
If using a laundry bag tie shut, tuck string in, tape top shut. You don't want the string hanging up.

I have packed white gas stoves and bottles that have absolutely no smell of gas in them.
http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/camping-gear

BobTheBuilder
06-10-2014, 08:57
I've flown with my gear about a dozen times with no problem. As described above, I put most of my gear in a large canvas duffle bag and check it. You can't bring fuel, but I have never had a problem with either my jetboil stove or my pocket rocket. The one added responsibility is that I have to find a can of fuel once I get there. Not that big of a deal, but I have sweated flight delays that threatened to make me miss closing time at the outfitters.

FL Grandma
06-13-2014, 19:13
thanks for the help!