PDA

View Full Version : Walk down the "aisle"

bridetobe
09-29-2005, 01:11
My boyfriend and I are eloping soon. I picked out this nice resort in Virginia and presented the idea to him. He loved it but...

images/icons/icon3.gif "Hey why don't we walk there!"
images/icons/icon4.gif I was speechless.

I knew nothing about the AT. Being that we live close (40 miles) to Springer Mountain he has been camping there many times. And he has talked about the AT a lot, but all I ever heard in the three years was "blah, blah, blah."

With some skepticism I agreed. Well, I have been familiarizing myself with the AT recently and this site is a great resource. I am feeling more and more confident each day. I hope to go to Springer Mountain or even hike the AT a little bit as a weekend thing.

We will hopefully hit the trail in March or April in 2006 and walk to central Virginia. We will consider the rest of the trail after we get married. Hell of a walk down the aisle.

Thanks for all the insight into the AT.

~ bride to be

Roland
09-29-2005, 05:03
The "walk down the aisle" could make, or break, the deal. Better to find out before you sign the contract.

Best wishes to you both!

Roland

Lone Wolf
09-29-2005, 07:17
"Bride" and "Groom" thru-hiked in 2000 then got married shortly after then got divorced shortly after that. 60% of marriages end in divorce.

Blue Jay
09-29-2005, 07:40
Don't listen to Lone Wolf, he's a Golfer. Your Boy Friend is an extremely lucky guy. Don't let anyone sit on your dreams.

C-Stepper
09-29-2005, 08:14
Hiking is hard...I've hiked and camped with many folks...there doesn't seem to be much middle ground, as folks seem to either love it or hate it.

Maybe you both could go on a long weekender nearby...maybe a portion of the Benton MacKaye Trail, which also has a trailhead in Springer, or even spend a few days on the AT. This will not only allow you to try out your hiking gear, it will also allow you to see if the two of you are compatible hiking partners.

I wish you luck and happiness, whatever you decide!:clap

Big Dawg
09-29-2005, 09:19
Go for it, Bridetobe,,, you only live once!!! The mountains are magical. :sun

Footslogger
09-29-2005, 09:32
If it's meant to be then a trail experience will only make it better.

The first actual "date" my partner and soulmate took was a 7 day backpacking trip at Big Bend National Park in southwest Texas. We knew ahead of time that we were compatible but that trip really drove it home.

Lots of couples only see each other at their "best". On a difficult hike you and your partner see each other at their "worst". Life deals you both hands from time to time and it's when it's at it's worst that you know what you've got.

All the best ...

'Slogger

Smile
09-29-2005, 10:19
Sounds awesome! Maybe hike the miles TO the wedding in VA ....

tlbj6142
09-29-2005, 10:35
And he has talked about the AT a lot, but all I ever heard in the three years was "blah, blah, blah."Might want to work on your listening skills a bit more before you make the leap. I'm constently amazed at how often my wife doesn't listen to anything I'm saying while pretending to listen. It must be a women thing. Either tell the person they are boring the $hit out of you and don't want to hear it, or actually pay attention.

The funny thing is, she has an absolute fit if I do the same thing. Though in my case I usually hear her and just "play dumb" as who actualy wants to admit you heard her tell you to take out the trash 3 times.:D

Patrick
09-29-2005, 11:06
Probably just politeness. My girlfriend most likely doesn't need to hear hour four of my theories on alcohol stove designs or hammock insulation, but is a decent enough person to be kind and listen because she knows I'm excited about it.

That's not to say that by hour five I won't get a "shut the hell up, already!"

tlbj6142
09-29-2005, 11:29
Probably just politeness.But at what point does being "polite" really become "rude"?

thomassv
09-29-2005, 12:05
Good luck!!
My soulmate loves hiking and the outdoors just as much as I do. Instead of "tolerating" my love for hiking and supporting me through my trips like previous significant others did, I had found someone who was just as passionate about actually hiking and the outdoors as I was. I remembered thinking when I met her, "so this is what it feels like to find "the one"".
May you guys have a wonderful life together. It may get tough at times on the trail. But it will make you guys stronger as well.