PDA

View Full Version : JMT hike rain pants question

verysimple
06-09-2014, 14:25
Dont have dedicated any rain pants yet.

Will those daily wear nylon pants with DWR suffice for this 230 mile hike?
http://store.tripleaughtdesign.com/Force-10-AC-Cargo-Pant

Coffee
06-09-2014, 14:43
I carried Dri Duck rain pants on the JMT last year (late August-mid September). I only wore them on one occasion while hiking and a couple of times while in camp. You are not likely to find yourself hiking day after day in rainy conditions but very likely to encounter some rain during the hike. The Dri Duck pants weigh only 4-5 ounces depending on size (and they run very large) and I think are worthwhile insurance for the JMT especially if you intend to hike through any rain storms rather than set up camp and wait out storms. Unlike on the AT in the warmer months, it is somewhat more tolerable to wear Dri Ducks while hiking on the JMT since rain usually brings cooler temperatures.

I'm taking the Dri Ducks on the Colorado Trail this summer where I expect to use them a lot more while hiking. My only reservation is durability.

colorado_rob
06-09-2014, 15:50
I carried Dri Duck rain pants on the JMT last year (late August-mid September). I only wore them on one occasion while hiking and a couple of times while in camp. You are not likely to find yourself hiking day after day in rainy conditions but very likely to encounter some rain during the hike. The Dri Duck pants weigh only 4-5 ounces depending on size (and they run very large) and I think are worthwhile insurance for the JMT especially if you intend to hike through any rain storms rather than set up camp and wait out storms. Unlike on the AT in the warmer months, it is somewhat more tolerable to wear Dri Ducks while hiking on the JMT since rain usually brings cooler temperatures.

I'm taking the Dri Ducks on the Colorado Trail this summer where I expect to use them a lot more while hiking. My only reservation is durability.+1 on this. We did the JMT later in the year and actually had to wear the dri duck pant a number of evenings, but really just for warmth, only once for actual rain.

verysimple
06-09-2014, 16:11
Thanks.

What model?

Is this it?
https://www.froggtoggsraingear.com/RoadToads.shtm

Coffee
06-09-2014, 16:36
This is the model I have:

https://www.froggtoggsraingear.com/DriDucks.shtm

FWIW, I normally wear a large and the medium is still pretty generously cut for me. The return policy is really bad - $6 restocking fee and that doesn't include return postage so be sure you order the appropriate size.

Dogwood
06-09-2014, 17:36
Those pants should work IF you are thruing the JMT during summer between late June to mid/late Sept. The JMT is not typically considered a rainy thru-hike during that period. I don't carry rain pants on the JMT unless I'm hiking into late Oct and even then they aren't just for rainy conditions but more for cold possibly wet (sleet, snow, etc) conditions. For early season JMT thru-hikes when I expect slogging through snow sometimes it being slushy I prefer opting for Schoeller fabric pants that are highly water and mud resistant offering very good abrasion protection from rocks, ice, glissading, etc.

Maui Rhino
06-10-2014, 03:20
Instead of rain pants, I will be carrying the ULA rain kilt (3.2oz, $30) on my end-ofJuly/August JMT thru. Less weight and better ventilation.

Lyle
06-10-2014, 06:27
Instead of rain pants, I will be carrying the ULA rain kilt (3.2oz, $30) on my end-ofJuly/August JMT thru. Less weight and better ventilation.

+1 on the ULA rain kilt.

I've been using this exclusively since 2009 and find it works much better than any rain pants I've ever had. As said, good ventilation, and light. I first used it on a hike of the northern Superior Hiking Trail, Border Route and Kekekabic Trail in northern Minnesota in the spring of the year. Had wind, rain, sleet, and snow. The kilt worked fine. Offers enough protection in the wind that the legs stay warm, yet allows decent ventilation when not so windy. Also used it on many hundreds of miles on the AT.

verysimple
06-10-2014, 11:06
Thanks all. Ordered. Cant go wrong for $30 shipped (and its a multi-use item)

Dogwood
06-10-2014, 14:22
The ULA rain kilt should be great on the JMT in July/ Aug with the only concern I can see are protecting your legs from the biting nasties. BRING plenty of bug dope for skeeters!

QiWiz
06-11-2014, 18:22
I'm taking the Dri Ducks on the Colorado Trail this summer where I expect to use them a lot more while hiking. My only reservation is durability.

I used Dri Ducks on a 10-day trip in Glacier NP last September. The jacket held up pretty well, but the crotch of the pants completely disintegrated on about day 3 of rain and hiking in the pants all day. They still provided some rain protection, but I had to throw them away after the trip. I think the pants are good for short trips or long trips with little or no rain expected; not for through hikes or long section hikes IMO. YMMV.