PDA

View Full Version : 1st aide kit

squeezebox
06-09-2014, 14:32
I assume health care workers carry a heavier 1st aide kit than most.
So if you are a nurse what do you bring along ?
I've got some ideas but would like to hear from you first.
Thanks !!!

Bronk
06-09-2014, 15:12
I was a medic in the Army and started out with a pretty big kit. By the end I had a ziploc with a couple of bandaids and a couple of alcohol pads and some ibuprofin. If you need more than that you are headed into town anyway.

HooKooDooKu
06-09-2014, 15:36
I'm NOT a nurse, but I seem to have a more-than typical 1st aid kit.

First of all, you don't have to go really heavy on a 1st aid kit. Some people will, and others will go ridiculously light weight as to be under-prepared.

But what I like to do is build my own first aid kit:
I start by either buying an empty kit, or a pre-filled kit about the size I want and pull out the stuff in the kit and add it to the pile of stuff I might want in the kit.
I get the tiny ziplok-type bags designed for medications (available at many pharmacies like CVS) - these are about 1"x2" in size.
For pills I find I might restock regularly (OTC pain relievers, antacids, benedryl) I'll just buy in local in quantity and use the ziplok bags.
For other things, I'll look for things that can be purchased in small quantities, buy 1st aid refills, or purchase from some place like www.minimus.biz (http://www.minimus.biz/).

The general idea is to find single use items that are very tiny that can be placed in your 1st aid kit. One great example is the 1/32oz packets of neosporin (http://www.minimus.biz/Neosporin-Ointment-packet-P02-0124401-1000.aspx). Things like this, I'll buy about a dozen at a time, but only keep about 3 or 6 in the first aid kit. At the item is used, simply resupply your 1st aid kit.

Of the top of my head, I would say my 1st aid kit weight about 10oz and contains at least the following:
6 different sizes of bandaids
large wound pads.
wound tape (remove the roll from the tape despenser for better packaging).
benedryl tables
aspirin/Tylenol/etc
pepto-bysmol
Ammodium AD
neosporin packets.
wound wipes.
blistex (http://www.minimus.biz/Blistex-Medicated-Lip-Ointment-P02-0125410-1000.aspx) packets
Burn-gel packets
insect sting relieve wipes
iodine wipes
tweezers
fingernail clipers
scissors
blister pads
oral pain relief packets (http://www.minimus.biz/Safetec-Oral-Pain-Relief-P01-0625901-1000.aspx)
hydrocortisone cream packets
needle, thread, safety pins

...and more

The idea is to have a little bit of all the things you might need, without having lots of anything. For example, I might take 6 packets of neosprine (small scrapes and cuts are common) but only 2 sting wipes (I've never been stung in the back-country, but a hiking partner has been).

tarditi
06-09-2014, 15:41
You really don't need much for yourself - the problem is when the good Samaritan/boy scout in us emerges and we prepare for other's potential lack of preparation.

Just Bill
06-09-2014, 17:38
the two best quotes on the subject-

Do I bring all of the items which I have listed in the Wilderness Medical Kit Modules in Appendix A? Yes! And No! It depends.
If hiking the Appalachian Trail I would carry a few pieces of Spenco 2nd Skin and tape, ibuprofen, Imodium, and possibly a decongestant. The rest of my load would be food and the other direct necessities of life, certainly not first aid items.
William W. Forgey, M.D., "Wilderness Medicine, 4th Edition"

In many accidents a stimulant is required. Don't carry whiskey- if you don't drink it up yourself the first time you feel bad, then someone will surely steal it. For the camp medical kit, get a bottle of pure grain alcohol. Put a fake label on it- "Antiseptic-Poison"- with a death's-head that even a savage will understand.
Uncle Horace

yerbyray
06-09-2014, 18:03
I was a medic in the Army and started out with a pretty big kit. By the end I had a ziploc with a couple of bandaids and a couple of alcohol pads and some ibuprofin. If you need more than that you are headed into town anyway.

I respectfully disagree with this statement as if you were to get a serious injury, you might not be able to get off trail in a timely manner. I do think that store-bought first aid kits contain a lot of useless items but every hiker ought to have some items (I could generate a list but not at this time) with them at all times.

More importantly, and you having been a medic know what I am getting at, folks need to know what to do with what they have.

Slo-go'en
06-09-2014, 19:55
You really don't need much for yourself - the problem is when the good Samaritan/boy scout in us emerges and we prepare for others potential lack of preparation.

I was at Chestnut Knob shelter a few weeks ago and three guys on horses ride up. One guy gets off his horse, sits on the ground and his horse promptly steps on his thumb! Opens it up pretty good.

Of course, they have no first aid. One of the other hikers there had a butterfly thing to pull the open wound close together, I broke out my bottle of New Skin to seal and disinfect the wound and used my big band aid to cover up the mess. I then talked the dude out of one of his last 2 beers for the effort and sent them on their way.

This episode rises the question, why do these horse riders insist on riding on the AT when that is strictly forbidden? I saw evidence of this in several places through Virgina. I think there needs to be a sting operation to fine riders and confiscate their horses of those who ride on the AT. Especially around the Wapiti shelter, which is near a horse trail.

Don H
06-10-2014, 08:26
I assume health care workers carry a heavier 1st aide kit than most.
So if you are a nurse what do you bring along ?

I'm an EMT and I carry very little in first aid supplies.

Leukotape, 5 feet rolled around a straw
Ibuprofen
2 Asprin, for chest pain, heart attack
Safety pin
Band Aids
Neosporin, small tube

The most important thing to carry is knowledge. Consider taking a first aid course.

RED-DOG
06-10-2014, 11:47
Yep i agree but i would add some duct tape for blisters.

RED-DOG
06-10-2014, 11:53
I was at Chestnut Knob shelter a few weeks ago and three guys on horses ride up. One guy gets off his horse, sits on the ground and his horse promptly steps on his thumb! Opens it up pretty good.

Of course, they have no first aid. One of the other hikers there had a butterfly thing to pull the open wound close together, I broke out my bottle of New Skin to seal and disinfect the wound and used my big band aid to cover up the mess. I then talked the dude out of one of his last 2 beers for the effort and sent them on their way.

This episode rises the question, why do these horse riders insist on riding on the AT when that is strictly forbidden? I saw evidence of this in several places through Virgina. I think there needs to be a sting operation to fine riders and confiscate their horses of those who ride on the AT. Especially around the Wapiti shelter, which is near a horse trail.
they are certain short sections that a horse can ride on but mostly they ride on the AT to get to the shelters, I have talked to a few horse owners and they said that they feel that the AT should be open to Horses and they really don't care about the illegal side of it.

yerbyray
06-10-2014, 13:03
My kit weighs 6.3 ounces and contains:

<colgroup><col style="mso-width-source:userset;mso-width-alt:10459;width:215pt" width="286"> </colgroup><tbody>
Scalpel

Tape

Gauze bandage

4 Sudafed

5 Antiseptic Towelettes

2 Tylenol Extra Caplets

3 sterile sutures

10 ¾" band aids

1 finger tip bandage

4 Prilosec

Splinter Tweezers

Alka Seltzer cold medicine

1 Gel Cool

3 Sting relief

2 Hydro. peroxide wipes

3 Antibiotic cream

1 Knuckle bandage

1 2x3 pad

Pack of moleskin

4 spot Band aids

1 pk Cold pills

3 Vicodin

8 ½" band aids

2 Benedryl pills

Stuff Sack

</tbody>

I know that sounds like an extreme amount of weight but to each their own. I'd rather carry a few ounces here than be carried out of the woods.

Yerby Ray

JustADude
06-10-2014, 13:32
Definitely carry Benadryl and Hydrocortisone, and Asprin 350 mg. I've given out both on the trail and they seem universally needed...

Don H
06-10-2014, 15:21
Definitely carry Benadryl and Hydrocortisone, and Asprin 350 mg. I've given out both on the trail and they seem universally needed...

Agree on Benadryl, it can save a life in the event of an allergic reaction.
And of course the aspirin (1 regular strength, chewed) for chest pains/possible heart attack.

HeartFire
06-10-2014, 20:08
I'm a (retired) emergency room nurse practitioner. I also used to teach wilderness first aid. The single most important thing in your first aid kit is the knowledge that is inside your head in how to handle what ever may come. You do not need much - I carry one or 2 cravats (large triangle bandage) - I have duct tape, I have toilet paper - there are your bandaids. a whistle, I happen to carry 2 friggingly heavy epi pens because of bee sting problems and a lot of benadryl - the childrens chewable kind to load up with quickly after shooting myself with the epi pens. Other than that - I don't really need anything - perhaps a few advil and immodium but anything more severe needs to be evacuated off the trail. The only thing that MUST be done is stop bleeding, assist breathing and circulation and get help.

mrcoffeect
06-10-2014, 20:08
Duck tape, advil, benadryl, and a mild laxative like senecot. the change in diet can sometimes hem me up for a couple days.:(

July
06-10-2014, 20:28
I'm a (retired) emergency room nurse practitioner. I also used to teach wilderness first aid. The single most important thing in your first aid kit is the knowledge that is inside your head in how to handle what ever may come. You do not need much - I carry one or 2 cravats (large triangle bandage) - I have duct tape, I have toilet paper - there are your bandaids. a whistle, I happen to carry 2 friggingly heavy epi pens because of bee sting problems and a lot of benadryl - the childrens chewable kind to load up with quickly after shooting myself with the epi pens. Other than that - I don't really need anything - perhaps a few advil and immodium but anything more severe needs to be evacuated off the trail. The only thing that MUST be done is stop bleeding, assist breathing and circulation and get help.

+1 to this kit. Also for me, just benadryl here, and would add some sting wipes and neosporin in single use homemade straws. That dang 100 mile an hour tape can do just about anything!

magneto
06-10-2014, 21:54
Carry a couple doses of Vicodin or Oxycodone so if your injury doesn't involve your legs, you can walk out under your own power.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kolo
06-10-2014, 22:07
Duct tape, don't leave home without it.

MuddyWaters
06-10-2014, 22:15
When my sons scout crew went to Philmont in NM, one of our adult advisors was an MD. I knew, KNEW, he would carry too big of a first aid kit. He did, about 2-3 lbs worth. He could have done field surgery I think. He asked the ranger what he should take on the trail, and the ranger said "what youve got there looks good enough".

I didnt even try to talk him out of it.

After a few days we did a half -day day hike while at a layover camp, and he said this " Im not going to bring the first aid kit, so dont none of yall get hurt"

He had figured out on his own, what was really needed. Not much.

perrymk
06-11-2014, 05:50
I recently put together several small day hiking first aid kits of my own. I'm too lazy to move one from one pack to another or to the car or where ever. They weigh just under 5 oz each. I put these together thinking about my needs so its not really an 'all-around' kit.

Tick twister, safety pin (for blisters and splinters), small lighter (to sterilize the sp), nail clippers, triple ointment, ibuprofen, antihistamine, sting swabs (the way wasps go after me I might be made from wasp chocolate), band-aids, tweezers, small Swiss Army Knife (to cut up a t-shirt bandage or cut clothing out of the way). I usually have a spare t-shirt in my pack if a larger compress/bandage is needed. I need to get something for upset stomach but haven't yet. This isn't usually a problem for me. Plus the little case is pretty full.

I've taken a number of first aid courses over the years but its probably getting time for a refresher.

As a side note, someone mentioned vicoden. I'm not a cop but if a cop wanted to make your day miserable, you carrying prescription meds outside their bottle would give him the excuse. At least don't post such things on the internet. perhaps just say "something for pain."

perrymk
06-11-2014, 05:50
sorry, double post

garlic08
06-11-2014, 07:58
I'm a (retired) emergency room nurse practitioner. I also used to teach wilderness first aid. The single most important thing in your first aid kit is the knowledge that is inside your head in how to handle what ever may come. You do not need much....

Ditto this. I'm a retired firefighter/EMT. The more training I received (and coincidentally the more I hiked), the less I carried in the backcountry. Besides my two-ounce first aid kit, which centers around skin care, I have a set of poles, a bandanna, duct tape, clean water, shelter, and dry insulation. And enough trail experience to avoid many of the issues for which a first aid is needed, and to know I never need any medications on trail.

DLP
06-11-2014, 12:26
I'm an EMT and I carry very little in first aid supplies.

Leukotape, 5 feet rolled around a straw
Ibuprofen
2 Asprin, for chest pain, heart attack
Safety pin
Band Aids
Neosporin, small tube

The most important thing to carry is knowledge. Consider taking a first aid course.

I was an EMT in and near Sequoia Nat'l Park. I carry about the same as Don, except I like Nexcare Absolute Waterproof tape for taping feet. I also have a very large silk scarf that could be used as a sling.

Common sense and knowing our own limitations goes a long way. Hiking is a lot like skiing. Like skiing, the most common hiking accident is falling. And this is an educated guess, but most of the falls probably happen in the afternoon or evening when we are tired (like the proverbial last run of the day while skiing). And like skiing, stuff happens when people get in over their heads... be it creek crossings, underestimating the desert, or altitude or _____ or _____.

But, stopping when tired (including resting and enough sleep) and eating and drinking and not falling down or tripping is probably the best (and most literal) First Aide strategy there is.

My kit weighs 6.3 ounces... I know that sounds like an extreme amount of weight but to each their own. I'd rather carry a few ounces here than be carried out of the woods. 6.3 oz isn't that much. No offense, be aware that there is nothing in your kit that will prevent you from being "carried out of the woods". If you have an injury to the extent that you can't walk out of the woods on your own... they you will be carried out of the woods. :) Any of us... no matter if we are carrying 2 band-aids or 1 pound of first aide supplies could be carried out of the woods, given the wrong injury/heart attack/whatever.

But driving to the trail head is the riskiest thing most backpackers will do on most trips.

DLP
06-11-2014, 12:48
Burns... burns are a common backpacking injury. Being careful goes a long way.

Overuse and repetitive stress/motion injuries are probably most common to thru/long distance hikers. This is a case where knowledge and common sense help more than an item carried in a first aide kit.

OCDave
06-11-2014, 14:22
... knowledge and common sense..

Saves a lot of weight and bulk.

redzombie
06-15-2014, 23:00
First things first, tourniquets have a bad rap. They do not cause limb lost like everyone thinks. The military has don't numerous studies on this. Secondly, to lighten up your first aid kit, learn to how to use multi use everyday items. A banana can be used as a wrap for sprains, or used with two sticks used as a splint. Take a two small pieces of alum rocks, put one in each pocket. This will stop chafing. If your water filter breaks, alum will purify your water. The alum crystals are also antibacterial. But if you have soap and a little bit of friction ( you can wash the bacteria off). If your bleeding is so bad, bust out your stove and heat the blade of your knife and cauterize it closed, and guess what? The wound now is sterile. Don't want to you use your only banana? Well boil some water and throw your socks in it, and now you have a sterile dressing. Have diarrhea ? Throw some mud in your pot, heat it up, let it cool and eat a handful (its called geophagy and the mud will absorb poisons toxins, and even viruses). If your paying attention to where you step and come into contact with poison ivy, wash it off with soap and water. Wet feet? Rub the alum crystal on em after cleaning them, or Vaseline, mushers secret or other foot balm. The petroleum will bring white blood cells to the surface to help heal and dry your feet out (why you don't use it on a tattoo lol). I think alot of yal over think the first aid thing, and unfortunately the only cure for the rapid contingent of ignorance is real life experience. Snake bits, are another thing, none of the gizmos they sell work, don't cut it and try to suck it out or any of the other myths people believe. The ONLY thing that will work besides anti venom, is to remain CALM. The slower your heart beats the slower the spread. If you get all worked up, the adrenaline will speed up your heart and make the spread faster. Control your breathing, your heart beat and understand you will live. (Oh I was bitten by a copperhead....real life experience)

Ricky&Jack
06-16-2014, 01:24
A banana can be used as a wrap for sprains, or used with two sticks used as a splint.

I tried that. It was delicious.

redzombie
06-16-2014, 09:16
bandanna, lol. Yeah not the greatest speller