PDA

View Full Version : 1600 Miles In: What We've Learned so Far

the_mechanic
06-09-2014, 15:20
So after over 1600 miles in on my NoBo hike this year, I took stock of just a few trail truisms with this post. Check it out and comment with your own!

http://jamesfbush.wordpress.com/2014/06/08/1600-miles-in-what-weve-learned-so-far/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Praha4
06-09-2014, 15:59
great notes on your hike so far, thanks for sharing! even though I've been a long a** section hiker to date, I agree with every one of our observations. You're getting to the best part of the AT, savor the rest of the journey!

Lyle
06-09-2014, 15:59
Generally agree with your assessment with the strong disagreement on the quality of hiking in PA.

I lived for several years in PA, and have also hiked all of the AT from GA into VT, plus many thousands of miles in other areas. PA hiking is fun, and rewarding. Yeah, the rocks can get annoying, the unwelcoming attitude through the Cumberland Valley is regrettable, but there is plenty to enjoy if you have an open mind.

Busky2
06-09-2014, 17:02
Generally agree with your assessment with the strong disagreement on the quality of hiking in PA.

I lived for several years in PA, and have also hiked all of the AT from GA into VT, plus many thousands of miles in other areas. PA hiking is fun, and rewarding. Yeah, the rocks can get annoying, the unwelcoming attitude through the Cumberland Valley is regrettable, but there is plenty to enjoy if you have an open mind.

I have to say that the folks in Boiling Springs could not have been nicer. The Cafe 101 crowd had no issues with the smelly group I was with (I was ripe). We ordered inside and dined Al Fresco spending two hours there and enjoyed the well wishes and the questions from other dinners. Not once did I pass a person that I was not greeted with a hello or a hi, even with waves and smiles from the workers installing benches along the lake. Some places may suck the life out of a day but this little town is not one of them.

Dogwood
06-09-2014, 18:03
My take: it's all good.

the_mechanic
06-10-2014, 09:59
@Busky2 Cafe 101 in Boiling Springs is awesome

Lyle
06-10-2014, 11:07
I have to say that the folks in Boiling Springs could not have been nicer. The Cafe 101 crowd had no issues with the smelly group I was with (I was ripe). We ordered inside and dined Al Fresco spending two hours there and enjoyed the well wishes and the questions from other dinners. Not once did I pass a person that I was not greeted with a hello or a hi, even with waves and smiles from the workers installing benches along the lake. Some places may suck the life out of a day but this little town is not one of them.

I didn't intend to single out Boiling Springs, although when I hiked through a few years ago, we were warned away from several establishments as "not hiker friendly". This was by locals who stopped to chat. Add to that the totally uninviting camp site.

My greater referral was to the ensuing 18 miles northbound. No Camping period. Stay on the trail and walk, you want to stop, get a motel at US 11. I understand this was a political hot bed when ATC condemned property for the trail - that's why I say it was unfortunate, and avoidable I might add.

Otherwise, PA is a pleasant and, for the most part, friendly place to hike. No spectacular scenery, but some good views. The rocks are what they are, not insurmountable. The Lehigh gap area is a good study in our industrial past, and the environmental consequences if we are not diligent. Great views and somewhat fun climb I might add.

RED-DOG
06-10-2014, 11:24
I agree with everything you said except for one PA was my favorite state on all three of my thru's.

RockDoc
06-10-2014, 15:27
Yeah, so you're about 20 and this is how you see things. It's all about you.

In about 30 years your list would be totally different (and a lot more interesting).

Last Call
06-10-2014, 20:23
Agree on Pennsylvania - best to yellow blaze thru it, as quickly as possible! Even if it means not getting a badge.

ChinMusic
06-10-2014, 20:27
PA, after Duncannon, was easily my least favorite state. I did like the climb out of Lehigh Gap.

kidchill
06-11-2014, 17:46
I live in PA, so I knew what to expect, but really, I felt like the most northern 60-100miles or so was the worst in terms of rocks. I'm assuming you're going north, well, ME with all it's roots and rocks isn't much nicer. I think going SOBO and hitting ME/NH first (you know, the obstacle course states) kinda prepares you for anything...I too had a great time in Boiling Springs. And, if the Allenbury (sp?) Hotel and Playhouse is still there, I highly recommend it. Great rate and a bar!

bamboo bob
06-11-2014, 17:54
I agree with everything you said except for one PA was my favorite state on all three of my thru's. I agree with this view. Maybe not favorite but I like PA a lot. It's mainly flat. Lot's of pubs. The rocks are really not a big deal. Some very nice views. It can be hot but plenty of water. It is not hard going compared with New England and I did a 29 mile day SOBO into Port Clinton to the pub. What's not to like?

rafe
06-11-2014, 18:24
I actually enjoyed PA for the most part. Hardly the most exciting state on the AT, but mostly easy walking and I was able to make good miles -- it was a nice start to my last long section hike. The rocks are... a bit obnoxious, but so what? It's not like PA has an exclusive on rocks, and it's not like those rocks are a well-kept secret.

PA even had some nice views occasionally; coming into Duncannon southbound, the Susquehanna River was a sight to behold. On the ridge above Palmerton I imagined I was strolling in the aftermath of a World War I battlefield (with the bodies thankfully removed.) And of course the towns and the pubs every few days.

Or it could be that PA welcomed me in a big way. I was nearing the end of the prior year's section hike, also southbound. When I arrived at DWG there was a jazz festival going on, right smack on the trail. And I hadn't really expected to make DWG that day, I'd set my sights on MOC but flew right by it.

Kitatinny Ridge is just as rocky as PA. And IIRC Maryland was pretty rocky too.

the_mechanic
07-18-2014, 11:52
Just with the sheer amount of bugs, Maine was a champion in the overall misery department. I think put my earlier views of PA in perspective. I would rather have PA's rocks than the gnats, black flies, horse flies, mosquitos, no-see-ems and leeches of Maine.

Praha4
07-18-2014, 23:50
....exactly why I would never start a nobo thru hike early. Why rush north just to hit the VT mud and ME bugs in early summer. Best time to hike New England is late summer and fall.

the_mechanic
07-20-2014, 20:55
Tx I wondered about that. Definitely going to try ME again in fall

CarlZ993
07-20-2014, 23:06
Amusing observations. I wasn't very fond of PA's terrain, either. The people were okay, tho.

I never got 'Get a job' yelled at me. Probably because I was 58 & retired. :)

I met some really interesting people on my hike. And I observed & participated in some amazing feats of caloric consumption ("I'll take the #2, 3, & 4 value meals, please"... and "I'll take the right side of the menu, please."... and "Your bill [at McDonalds] is $26.41.").