PDA

View Full Version : Any recommendation for knee support? Hiking a 5,000 downhill elevation change.

ugaking
06-09-2014, 17:13
I have trekking poles, as well. All advice welcome.

Pedaling Fool
06-09-2014, 17:16
Practice single-leg squats.

Kerosene
06-09-2014, 17:27
Barbell squats, front squats, pistol (single leg) squats, leg presses, hamstring curls, Swiss Ball one-legged hamstring curls -- they should all help assuming you keep to excellent form and don't overdo it.

Assuming that you don't have much time until you undertake your 5,000' drop (or even if you do), I suggest that you take it much, much slower than you feel like you need to, to the point that you'd take a 5-minute rest every 15 minutes. In addition, I'd start taking a strong dose of NSAIDs (Alleve is ideal) a few days before your hike and for a few days afterward. If possible, try to ice your knee as soon as you can, even if it means immersion into a cold stream.

Best of luck.

Dogwood
06-09-2014, 17:48
When I do a 5k ft extended downhill especially if it's short and steep I try not to rush it making sure to avoid large downhill steps and strides. Instead, I focus on breaking up the vertical distance I must step down and likewise shortening my horizontal strides. These things alone can put much less stress on my knees(joints). For me, doing a 5 k ft downhill is only a small part of a much longer trek so for me it's all about pacing myself and expending my body and energy over the long haul not rushing for a short period. I focus on not being a shotgun hiker, fast out of the gate but not having the energy and stamina to go the distance!

map man
06-09-2014, 19:01
Cho-Pat Dual Action Knee Straps. For me they prevent IT Band pain.

Pedaling Fool
06-23-2014, 09:10
Some more tips http://sports.yahoo.com/news/build-game-breaking-speed-exercise-073002206.html

Excerpt:

"I love the Front Squat Position Walking Lunge for any athlete who wants to sprint faster. It reinforces hip explosiveness, strengthens the legs, engages the core and even builds the upper body. Since it requires a combination of mobility, static stability and dynamic stability to perform correctly, it trains the body to work as a whole. And as a “dynamic correspondence exercise,” the Front Squat Position Walking Lunge trains you for your sport by simulating the muscle movements you make on the field.<1>

Whether you want to gain a step on the cornerback, steal more bases or skate down the ice faster, you should add the Front Squat Position Walking Lunge to your training. Learn how to perform the exercise and how to adjust it to meet your goals.".... Or if you just want to walk downhill pain-free:D