PDA

View Full Version : Evernew Appalachian Set or pocket rocket?

Treetoptommy
06-09-2014, 22:33
I am torn which one too buy, the Evernew Appalachian Set or pocket rocket. The Evernew cook set and cooking pot all weighs 5.6 oz. Then there is the pocket rocket which is about 3oz without the cooking pot. I feel like the simpler way is to get the pocket rocket it most likely boils water faster anda hair more simple to set up (i am assuming i actually dont own one). I really dont like the idea that i will have to buy fuel canisters along the trail. i feel like this may become an issue at some point.
I really like the concept of an fuel stove the simplicity of it all, plus it must be a hair more easy to find fuel when needed. The downfall is some people say it takes a few minutes more to boil water, But will i really need to be in such a rush that i cant wait a few mins more, i hope not?
I would just like to know others inputs on what there planning to take to cook with, looking to make a decision real soon about it.

HooKooDooKu
06-09-2014, 22:58
If you decide to lean towards the Pocket Rocket, I would suggest the Snow Peak LiteMax as an alternative. It folds smaller, and for some reason feels more stable to me.

Damn Yankee
06-10-2014, 06:24
You may also want to get a canister stand which will help to give you more stability.

chall
06-10-2014, 12:08
I would suggest looking at Zelph's Starlyte stove (http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/starlyte-stove.php). I, too, was considering making the move from canister (not the Pocket Rocket, but a somewhat equivalent Primus stove) to the Evernew Appalachian set. The reviews for the Evernew were mixed, and it's a steep price tag. At 16.4 grams, you get the anti-spill stove with pot stand in one piece. I ended up getting an Evernew pot and this stove, it's been a great combo.

When I took it out for the first time on a three-day, 42 mile hike, I definitely was not worrying about boil time. Plus, many people on this forum note that while their water is boiling, they do other things to set their camp up. If all your camp cooking needs is boiling water, this stove is the way to go.

RED-DOG
06-10-2014, 12:18
Fuel Cannisters are readily available along the AT I have never had issues of finding a cannister for my pocket rocket. my stove boils about 16oz's of water in like 2.5 minutes and i have never had issues with the stability of it but if you do choose the pocket rocket make some kind of wind screen i have had issues with the wind disturbing the flame performance and i made a wind screen out of Aluminum Foil.

slbirdnerd
06-10-2014, 12:36
I have a pocket rocket and snow peak mini solo titanium pot. It boils water FAST. Pot set with cup which I don't use: 5.5 oz. Pocket rocket: 3 oz. Total: 8.5 oz. plus whatever canister you take. I'm happy with this set up.

Treetoptommy
06-10-2014, 18:05
Well i just bought the app set i found a website selling it for 118 plus free shipping really cant go wrong with that price. I will let everyone know what i think about it as soon as it comes in and i will include boil times and a solid review on it. I guess if i dont like it i still have time to swap it out before i hit the trail.

ctebeau
06-16-2014, 16:13
Just out of curiosity how long do the fuel canisters for the pocket rocket last one while hiking on the AT?

Root66
06-16-2014, 16:45
Hi:

Fairly new here so hope asking about another stove is not against protocol. Has anyone used the Soto WindMaster Stove which has a price just under double the Pocket Rocket? Opinions?

Thanks, Root66

HooKooDooKu
06-16-2014, 17:27
Fairly new here so hope asking about another stove is not against protocol.
It just means you're attempting to hijack the thread... but so long as the sub-forum is NOT the strait forward forum... it's ok, everyone does it all the time.

Is there really anything so special to justify the cost of the Soto? Seems to me it's only claim to fame is the base of the flame has a bit of a wind screen built in... but you can accomplish about the same thing by using a partial wind screen (i.e. wind screen open on leeward side to avoid heat buildup on the canister).

Root66
06-17-2014, 13:00
Thanks, certainly not trying to hi-jack the thread. :) Thanks for the feedback and seems Pocket Rocket might be a good way to go for the price.

Root66

HooKooDooKu
06-17-2014, 13:34
...seems Pocket Rocket might be a good way to go for the price...
IMHO, the Snow Peak LiteMax is much more worth the money.

The retail price of the Pocket Rocket is $40. The retail price of the LiteMax is $60
But at the moment, you can get the LiteMax on sale for $45 at www.campsaver.com (I've purchased from them before and will so again).

I own both the Pocket Rocket and the LiteMax, and I much prefer the LiteMax. It actually weights less than the Pocket Rocket, but what I really like about it is that it folds up very tiny. If you look at the LiteMax, you will see the support arms are hinghed. Not only do they fold to be only half as long, but the support arms also spin around the stem. So once folded, all the support arms are on one side. The other thing I like about the LiteMax is that it seems to be more stable than the Pocket Rocket. I purchased the Pocket Rocket to give canister stoves a try. But like many of the reviews of the Pocket Rocket, I found it to be very unstable (i.e. seems real easy to knock your pot off this stove). So I then spent MORE money to but the LiteMax and I've been using it ever since for my warm weather hiking (when temperatures head towards freezing, I go back to my old reliable Whisperlite white gas stove).

I'm not totally sure why the LiteMax feels more stable than the Pocket Rocket. From a center-of-mass stand point, the LiteMax sits just as high above the canister as the pocket rocket, and the support arms extend just as far out. But I think the difference is that the way the support arms are angled, your pot sits on three points with the Pocket Rocket. By contrast, the support arms of the LiteMax fold flat. So rather than sitting on three small points, the pot sits on three arms.

gdwelker
06-17-2014, 18:28
I bought the appalachian set a while ago. I like the stove. Not quite as efficient on an ounce of fuel as some of the other homemade alcohol stoves I have, but boils faster. Works reasonbly well as a wood stove. For me, it solves the problem of wanting to have the capability of wod or alcohol or alcohol on the trail in a small size. My best wood stove i own plus my best alcohol stove take up a lot more space in the pack. The only problem I have with the appalachian set is that the handles on the pot are too short and end up getting too hot to pick up the pot from the stove. Needs longer handles with silicon coating. An issue that I can remedy with a bit of work.

Martymart
07-16-2014, 23:50
I normally get around 7 days out of a 4oz canister which has always been plenty of time to get another one. I typically only have one hot meal a day consisting of boiling 2 cups of water and simmering for 3-5 minutes.

Martymart
07-16-2014, 23:51
Just out of curiosity how long do the fuel canisters for the pocket rocket last one while hiking on the AT?

I normally get around 7 days out of a 4oz canister which has always been plenty of time to get another one. I typically only have one hot meal a day consisting of boiling 2 cups of water and simmering for 3-5 minutes. sorry for the double post

Treetoptommy
08-16-2014, 07:34
I have noticed the same thing after using it a few times now. Does burn a lot of fuel but it is an impressive amount of heat coming out of the unit. overall i am happy with it, I feel that i just need to hone in how much water/food/fuel mixture a bit more. I will be starting the trail with the this stove

JohnnySnook
09-10-2014, 05:44
My GF won't be hiking with me so a pocket rocket won't be starting the journey me at the start.

If she joins me during the hike or leaves me and I find a GF on the trail would using a pocket rocket after dark be considered the same as talking loudly once the suns gone down?