PDA

View Full Version : US 19E south to Indian Grave Gap 4-day hike

EagerBeaver
06-10-2014, 10:25
I am looking for information hiking south from US 19E to Iron Mountain Gap (considering Indian Grave Gap but worried that 42 miles may be too much for 4 days - two 3/4 days and 2 full days). I would like to park my car at my end point and shuttle to the trail at US 19E. I haven't been in this area before, could someone suggest a safe place to leave my car close to the trail. Additionally, I am lookin for information/opinions if I should plan to hike shelter to shelter or if the area is better to just hike and camp in a nice area instead of staying in the shelters. I will be starting my hike mid day on a Wednesday and hoping to finish mid day on Saturday. Additionally I will be there in mid June and I was wondering what I should expect the weather and water situation to be like.

Any help and advise is appreciated!

Gambit McCrae
06-10-2014, 11:06
10 MILE DAY, 11.11. AND THEN 10 last day...not bad especially thru there

EagerBeaver
06-10-2014, 11:20
Thanks Gambit! That sounds like a manageable milage if that length is condusive to stops each night. US 19E to Indian Grave Gap it is then.

No Directions
06-10-2014, 11:21
If you are willing to hike it in the opposite direction (northbound) you can park your car at Mountain Harbour Bed and Breakfast and get a shuttle from them. It's only a .3 mile hike from the AT to the B&B. Parking is secure there.

That is a beautiful kike. You will enjoy it. The rhododendron should be in full bloom in the Roan Highlands.

Studlintsean
06-10-2014, 12:27
I just did the hike from Iron Mountain Gap to 19E North bound. We did as suggested above and shuttled from Mountain harbour leaving a car there. Overall, it was a nice hike with a few challeging sections but nothing too strenuous. If interested, send me a PM with an email address and I will send you a small trip report.

EagerBeaver
06-10-2014, 13:11
Hi No Directions,

Thank you for the suggestion. I have heard good things about Mountain Harbour B&B, however I will be driving south after the hike so would rather hike south then north to save the extra time. If this plan turns out to not be feasible, I will plan to park and shuttle with Mountain Harbour.

Thanks!

Venchka
06-10-2014, 13:24
Hi No Directions,

Thank you for the suggestion. I have heard good things about Mountain Harbour B&B, however I will be driving south after the hike so would rather hike south then north to save the extra time. If this plan turns out to not be feasible, I will plan to park and shuttle with Mountain Harbour.

Thanks!

Saving time, less than an hour, versus saving your vehicle. Actually, getting to Marion, NC & I-40 from Elk Park by way of 194 & 221 may be quicker than wandering around in the mountains on 226. The choice is yours. Besides, it's a lovely drive from Elk Park, NC down mountain to the big highways. We will be returning later this summer. I always look forward to driving 19E.

Wayne

EagerBeaver
06-10-2014, 13:48
Is there no safe place to park a car at either Iron Mountain Gap or Indian Grave Gap? I will be traveling to Murphy, NC that night so it is a differnece of about 50 minutes. With a 3 drive ahead of me, my preference is to hike south instead of north and make it a 4 hour drive to Murphy, however I am truly interested in a safe place to leave my vehicle.

Studlintsean
06-10-2014, 15:05
There is a pull off on the side of Iron Mountain Gap with a small lot but I personally would opt for Mountain Harbour.

EagerBeaver
06-10-2014, 15:22
If ending at Iron Mountain and Indian Grave Gap are not options, is there another ~35 mile section that I can start/stop at in the area, hiking SOUTH, that I can still experience the rhododendrens blooming and leave my car in a safe location?

Venchka
06-10-2014, 15:23
According to Google, destination Murphy, NC
Indian Grave Gap - 132 miles
Iron Mountain Gap - 170 miles
Elk Park, NC - 181 miles / more miles in I-40 at 70 mph.
That would be a no brainer for me. Park at Mountain Harbor. Eat lunch in Elk Park before you get on the road. https://plus.google.com/101754724282098009518/about?hl=en&gl=us

Wayne

dmax
06-10-2014, 16:05
I've never heard of any problems parking at Indian Grave Gap. And I saw one rhodo blooming last week pretty close to the parking area, but on a different trail.

map man
06-10-2014, 16:54
The ATC keeps a list of shuttlers updated along with warnings about any recent incidents of vandalism at trailheads. Here is the link:

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/docs/default-document-library/at-shuttles-parking-vandalism-2014-05-3.pdf

Neither Indian Grave Gap nor Iron Mountain Gap are on the lists of trailheads with known vandalism problems (the trailheads with recent problems are listed at the end of page six of the document I linked to). There are no guarantees in life, but I see no reason you shouldn't park at either of these trailheads and hike the direction you prefer to hike. Have a good hike!