PDA

View Full Version : A question of trail choices.

AfghanVet
06-10-2014, 13:28
Let's assume that you could have a chance at a trip where everything is provided for you to go on a trip to hike. Gear/Transportation and everything, the trips are roughly the same length (5 days to a full week) and your two choices are the Sierra Nevadas or the Maine portion of the AT, which would you pick?

HooKooDooKu
06-10-2014, 13:56
While I don't know for sure (because I've never been to either), I picture the Sierra Nevadas providing spectacular mountain vistas, while Maine is more woodland hills (with moose).

I routinely hike in the Great Smoky Mountains, and I'm under the impression that Maine would be similar.

But I recently saw "Mile - Mile and a Half" on Nexflix... a documentary about a group hiking the JMT. I was blown away by some of the vistas the group got to experience.

So I'm going to answer your question by asking and answering one of my own:
Let's assume that you could have a chance at a trip where everything is provided for you to go on a trip to hike. Gear/Transportation/Time off From Work and everything, and your two choices are 6 months hiking the AT or 1 month hiking the JMT, which would you pick?

I (in part because I get to hike GSMNP all the time) would pick the JMT.

AfghanVet
06-10-2014, 14:04
Right now I'm mystified by the AT. I have to come out and admit that I'm not the (somewhat) typical person around the forums or on the trail. It was never a lifelong dream, hiking wasn't even a lifelong (or even recent really) passion for me until I took my kids up to splash at the creeks at Amicalola Falls. That's when I got bitten by the concept and the peace and serenity of hiking and of course, the AT. So my real personal struggle is determining, do I a) want to be able to lay eyes on Katahdin with plans on eventually getting to do an AT Thru hike (I've mailed an application off that would allow me to do it and not have to worry about buying the gear, food or lodging required on the trail.) Or b) Would I rather take an opportunity to hike the Sierras, a chance I'd probably never have again in my lifetime? Granted I spent some time at Fort Irwin, California which is mildly similar, though I imagine much more desert-type terrain.

Dogwood
06-10-2014, 14:17
The AT through Maine is a great hike especially in the fall but I would opt for 7 days all expenses paid going solo in the Sierra Nevadas in a heartbeat under the conditions you describe.

Ricky&Jack
06-10-2014, 14:18
if you don't mind just looking at trees, of with A.T. (it is my understaning that its literally like bring in a green tunnel with about a 3ft wide path.

If you want scenery and openness, go sierra nevada.

Plus you live in Georgia, like me. The A.T. is always just 'down the road'.... (even if its georgia and not maine).... So you can literally go A.T. anytime you want.

if you got the chance to go to Sierra nevada, I recommend doing that while you have the chance/option.

The A.T. is the most famous and well traveled trail. I love the A.T, but as soon as someone says "hey, you can go to sierra nevada" I would without a bit of hesitation to Sierra nevada.

Coffee
06-10-2014, 14:22
b) Would I rather take an opportunity to hike the Sierras, a chance I'd probably never have again in my lifetime?

If you mean that literally - that you would never again have the opportunity to hike the Sierras - I'd say you should definitely go out west and hike the John Muir Trail. I think that every backpacker should hike that trail at least once. I have yet to hike anywhere that can compare, although I have not hiked the AT in Maine yet.

Miner
06-10-2014, 14:25
It depends on what you want to accomplish. The Sierra Nevada is what made me love backpacking. I've hiked the PCT/JMT and numerous other hikes in the Sierra Nevada and I've hiked the AT in Maine. I'm currently planning a hike of the Tahoe Rim Trail in the next few weeks.

The Sierra Nevada has far better scenery at almost every moment then the best of Maine though Maine does have some nice scenery (particularly compared to anything east of the Rockies).
The Sierra Nevada more of a true wilderness experience then the wilderness like experience of the AT.
Maine has the large Moose which can be impressive to see up close while all the Sierra has is Deer, Black Bear stealing your food, and tons of Marmots.
The Sierra Nevada will have you gasping for air with its 10,000+ft. elevations for anyone coming from near sea level.
Parts of Maine are harder to hike. Some parts are relatively flat, but other parts are steep/harder to hike and will be lower mileage then hiking in the Sierra Nevada which is a very nicely graded trail despite its high elevation. My mileage doing western/southern Maine after being on the trail for a few weeks was lower then what I normally do in the Sierra Nevada coming straight from a desk job.
Resupply is easier in Maine.
Swimming in the Ponds of Maine is nicer/warmer then the cold lakes along the Sierra Nevada.
You often need to carry a heavy bear can for you food in the Sierra Nevada but it does make a nice chair and you don't have to bother with hanging.
The forest of Maine are denser and have a wide variety of species compared to the high elevation forests of the Sierra Nevada (Oh look, its yet another pine tree).

AfghanVet
06-10-2014, 14:38
I have to be honest in admitting that the elevation change is slightly scary to me. Especially with me not quite in the shape I should be in but the trip wouldn't be until September so I have a little time to build up to it. Having gone all over Afghanistan I know how punishing elevation can be but from what everyone is saying I'd be foolish to let the Sierras chance pass me by. I greatly appreciate the input.

RockDoc
06-10-2014, 14:43
I've done both, and I would recommend the Sierra. My mouth was open most of the time because it was so jaw dropping beautiful.
Maine, not so much although it is very good (tough) hiking if that's what you want.

AfghanVet
06-10-2014, 14:43
Well, it's done and I've applied for the Sierras trip as my first and second choices (there's two separate dates) with the Maine/AT trip as my third choice, again I greatly appreciate the advice. Crossing my fingers on both hands now as that's two applications for two places, one for an AT Thru hike and the other for the Sierras.

bigcranky
06-10-2014, 14:44
Do you have to choose? A week in the Sierras this fall, then a thru-hike next year? Or are they mutually exclusive?

I do want to hike out West, but I feel like I need to finish the AT first.

AfghanVet
06-10-2014, 14:53
The two hikes (The Sierras and AT Thru Hike) are exclusive of each other. The Sierras is offered free to Veterans by a place called Outward Bound (Consequently they offered the Maine AT hike as well.) The Thru Hike is offered by Warrior Hike and I won't know if I got that one until at least December which gives me about 3 months to prepare.

Ricky&Jack
06-10-2014, 14:54
can you explain your situation more?

Im curious how you can have free gear etc. and you mentioned you "applied" to something. What does that mean?

What's the story?

*Edit: neve rmind, I guess you made the explanation above, as I was typing this post"

AfghanVet
06-10-2014, 15:01
I kinda covered that right before you asked but I'm a veteran who was wounded in Afghanistan. I was medically retired from the Army and thankfully that allows me to have a couple of options that most others probably wouldn't ever be fortunate enough to be presented with. The one being Warrior Hike (The Thru Hike) the other being through Outward Bound which happens to offer services for Veterans as well. I'm not sure if you get to keep the gear or you have to return it but either way, it wouldn't bother me.

rafe
06-10-2014, 16:15
if you don't mind just looking at trees, of with A.T. (it is my understaning that its literally like bring in a green tunnel with about a 3ft wide path.

If you want scenery and openness, go sierra nevada.

Rick, have you hiked Maine yet?

Maine is the jewel of the AT, in my humble opinion. Pretty much all of it. Tough, but very rewarding. Fabulous views. But even so, the views from the JMT are about as good as it gets, anywhere on the planet.

Hate to say it, but if views are your thing, go with the JMT.

The pic is Baldpate summit, near Andover ME.

Ricky&Jack
06-10-2014, 16:19
nope never been to maine.

I live near springer mountain, and I only did the approach trail. So sadly that is my (mistaken) impression of the whole trail. And the fact that its called the green tunnel.

But I knew I was kinda talking about my butt with that previous post. The thought of hiking out west somehow appeals more to my senses.

RockDoc
06-10-2014, 16:23
You're a young man.
You have time for both.
Enjoy!

AfghanVet
06-10-2014, 16:39
Man that photo is stunning, incredibly beautiful.

Coffee
06-10-2014, 16:44
The pic is Baldpate summit, near Andover ME.

I really need to get up to Maine sometime soon.

Miner
06-10-2014, 17:26
I thought the AT in both Maine and New Hampshire had some very nice views that are well worth seeing. The issue is that you have to do a lot of hiking in forest in between those nice views. And the views you get are pretty standard out in many of the high western mountains.

For me though, the novelty of the trees never wore off as I'm from a pretty arid environment. My only problem with hiking there was how they construct their trails or rather how many sections didn't resemble a trail at all, at least compared to any trails I had been on prior. As I hiked, the thought I had the most often was, there is nothing here that a little blastin' couldn't have solved and its not like a few more rocks below would change anything. Both the JMT and PCT have sections that were only possible by blasting a ledge out of a mountain side. And they managed to make the trail with a nice grade with generous use of switchbacks at the same time. Its something I wish the AMC in particular would embrace.

AfghanVet
06-10-2014, 18:07
Well, I have a mildly confusing email that leads me to believe I've been accepted for the Sierras hike.

RED-DOG
06-10-2014, 18:12
the Sierra's hands down.

bamboo bob
06-10-2014, 18:26
If you have done both you would understand that they are both really great trips and it doesn't matter which one you choose.

Dogwood
06-10-2014, 21:57
For a Sierras 5 -7 days hike with Outward Bound they should advise you well about the elev, choice of routes, avg mileage per day, what to expect, etc. You should also be able to ask the Sierra's hike leaders questions about that hike regarding conditioning expected, etc specifically as it relates to you.

MuddyWaters
06-10-2014, 22:09
If I had done most of my hiking in the sierras, Id pick Maine.

If I had done most of my hiking on the AT, Id pick the sierras

They are complementary.

Ricky&Jack
06-10-2014, 22:21
Well, I have a mildly confusing email that leads me to believe I've been accepted for the Sierras hike.

Do you happen to know the approx time frame of that trip?

Odd Man Out
06-10-2014, 23:01
If I have a week to five days, then where in ME or the Sierras? I've driven through both, but haven't hiked either.

For ME, I've read up on the HMW to Khatadin hike, but that might take a bit more than a week (at least for me). Since transportation is included in the hypothetical question, I could arrange a shorter version of that. I don't know too much about the rest of the AT in ME.

In the Sierras, I can't do the whole JMT in a week, so I'd have to pick a good week. The HST (Giant Forest to Mt Whitney) sounds nice (I'm a sucker for Giant Sequoias). Some of the loop hikes from Mineral King also look nice. Recently I was looking at the loop from North Lake to South Lake via Evolution Basin. That looks like a good loop.

fiddlehead
06-10-2014, 23:11
They are both pretty awesome.
You can't go wrong with either one.
Maine is a little tougher physically with climbs.
But the Sierras are much longer distance between resupplies.
Also, the time of year may make a big difference.

Do em both!

rafe
06-10-2014, 23:33
If I have a week to five days, then where in ME or the Sierras? I've driven through both, but haven't hiked either.

For ME, I've read up on the HMW to Khatadin hike, but that might take a bit more than a week (at least for me). Since transportation is included in the hypothetical question, I could arrange a shorter version of that. I don't know too much about the rest of the AT in ME.

If you were to section hike Maine you might consider the waypoints:

1877 Gorham (NH)
1908 Grafton Notch
1942 ME. Rte. 17
1955 Rangley
1987 Stratton
2023 Caratunk
2060 Monson
2160 Abol Bridge

You can do a nice 3 or 4 day hike between any of the adjacent towns on that list. No services at Grafton Notch or ME. Rte. 17, but you have the lovely town of Andover located near the trail between these two waypoints and providing service to all AT trailheads in that neighborhood.

Monson to Abol Bridge is a clean 100 miles. 7 days at 15 miles/day.

Nobody skips Monson.

AfghanVet
06-11-2014, 09:50
The dates for the trip are 9/5/14-9/10/14 or 9/16/14-9/21/14

Miner
06-11-2014, 15:12
September in the Sierras is my favorite time to hike there. The crowds and bugs are gone and the water fords are low. The nights are cold though.

You can get some color change in the later part of the month as some of the brush and Aspen change colors. Though you don't get much since pines are the very dominant species. In Yosemite, I did get snowed on by a few inches once on Sept. 19, but it mostly melted off the next day. Most years, I just had clear sunny weather that time of year.

Another Kevin
06-11-2014, 16:15
was how they construct their trails or rather how many sections didn't resemble a trail at all, at least compared to any trails I had been on prior. As I hiked, the thought I had the most often was, there is nothing here that a little blastin' couldn't have solved and its not like a few more rocks below would change anything. Both the JMT and PCT have sections that were only possible by blasting a ledge out of a mountain side. And they managed to make the trail with a nice grade with generous use of switchbacks at the same time. Its something I wish the AMC in particular would embrace.

There are several forces in play here. Competing explanations, take your pick among them:

(1) Environmentalists here in the East are more into "wilderness should appear untrammeled by the hand of Man." In places in the Adirondacks, they even campaign to tear down the footbridges and deliberately obscure the trails. Some trails have a blaze only about every quarter-mile. In some seasons, following the trail turns into tracking the hiker who went before you, with no guarantee that he wasn't lost, too.

(2) The Eastern trails are quite old. In many places, the A-T follows the treadway of a trail that predates it. Many were just foot trails, since they were established in pre-Columbian times by people who didn't have horses. So they weren't graded for livestock.

(3) Eastern trail designers have a serious case of altitude envy and try to make some trails as difficult as possible by routing them unnecessarily straight up the fall line. When your high peaks are 4000 footers rather than 14000 footers, you take your challenges where you can find them.

(4) Sometimes the trail routings are just plain fun. About two weeks ago I came down a trail that suddenly detoured about 100 yards on a cliff top and then had a sudden vertical drop about 30 feet down a rock chimney. Plenty of holds, but still tough. At the bottom, it switched back abruptly and walked back about 200 yards under an overhanging ledge, as if the trail designer was saying, "See? There really wasn't a workaround for that rock scramble!" It would have been a shame to have blasted that stuff away. It's part of what gives that trail its character.

It's just as inspiring to see the way the trail designers found a way that's at least hikable, without modifying the landscape more than adding waterbars, clearing blowdown, and suchlike. That sort of thing requires creativity, too.

Besides, I like a good scramble from time to time. :)

Dogwood
06-11-2014, 23:23
Ditto to Miner's take. The sierras in Sept are often my favorite time to hike there. It's even nicer with a couple of inches of fresh pow on the peaks at that time.

BuckeyeBill
06-12-2014, 01:06
First thank you for your service to your country. Second praying that you will win to trip(s) of your dreams. Good luck

colorado_rob
06-12-2014, 08:35
The dates for the trip are 9/5/14-9/10/14 or 9/16/14-9/21/14 Perfect time in the Sierra's, as Miner said, no bugs, low water (but plenty to drink, no crowds, perfect daytime temps, really not too chilly at night, just choose campsites carefully and a 25-30 degree bag (true rating) should be good. I imagine this is the perfect time of year in ME as well. Pick 'em!

Shutterbug
06-12-2014, 12:05
Let's assume that you could have a chance at a trip where everything is provided for you to go on a trip to hike. Gear/Transportation and everything, the trips are roughly the same length (5 days to a full week) and your two choices are the Sierra Nevadas or the Maine portion of the AT, which would you pick?

You couldn't make a wrong choice, but I am sure you realize that you can not hike "the Maine portion of the AT" in a week. If you are not in really good shape, doing just the 100 Mile Wilderness in seven days will be a challenge.

Personally, I would choose Maine for one simple reason. If you hike southbound in Maine during late summer or fall, you will have an opportunity to meet some of the AT thru hikers as they pass going north. Meeting interesting people along the trail adds to the experience.