PDA

View Full Version : I'm getting enough $ for a hike trip. Whats recommend?

Ricky&Jack
06-10-2014, 14:46
I've been taking care of both parents for about 3 years (mom disabled, and dad has dementia).

Dad filed for disability 3 YEARS ago, and 2 months ago he finally had a court date. Well today he finally got approved and will be getting 3 years worth of back pay (about $25,000.... $19,000 after attorney fees).

My parents decided that since I 100% took care of both of them for the past 3 years and because I quit my job as a long haul truck driver 3 months ago to take care of him, and I have no job obligation, they agreed that when his check comes, they will pay me to go on 'long hike' as a "thank you" present.

I live in Georgia, so the A.T. is only 62miles away. But I prefer to have more scenery and 'openness'. So I will be looking into a different trail as a possibility.

Here are my "requirements"

a....... 1-4 week hike
b....... MUST be dog friendly, so I can take my 7mo old Husky, Jack without needing to board him at any point.
c....... I prefer scenery.

They are also giving me a tune-up on my jeep cherokee. So I can literally go anywhere for the trip. Does not need to be local. In fact, I am thinking something west would be great.

Something like the "pinhotti" does not appeal to me. Too much street walking etc. Plus looking at cars while I hike doesn't sound appealing.

So, where should I research to go, that meet my 3 requirements above? A section of the PCT, Colorado Trail, John muir trail, etc? does any of those meet my requirement? Or do you recommend something else?

(Ps. I DO have a passport/passcard, so if theres something in canada that meets those as well, Im cool with that).

It can take up to 90 days to get paid. So I have plenty of time to research and start planning. But I just need help being pointed in the right direction of a location.

saltysack
06-10-2014, 14:55
No dogs on jmt....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coffee
06-10-2014, 14:57
So, where should I research to go, that meet my 3 requirements above? A section of the PCT, Colorado Trail, John muir trail, etc? does any of those meet my requirement? Or do you recommend something else?

Since dogs are not allowed in Yosemite or SEKI, you would not be able to hike the entire JMT and would miss out on many of the most spectacular sections but you could put together a section of the JMT outside the national parks. I'm hiking the Colorado Trail this summer and the entire trail is open to dogs except for the first 7 miles and there is an alternate approach for those who have pets. So that could be an option for you. If I recall correctly, the Tahoe area (Desolation Wilderness) also is dog friendly. I suspect, but do not know for sure, that the Tahoe Rim trail doesn't have dog restrictions.

Ricky&Jack
06-10-2014, 15:12
I guess it doesn't need to be a WHOLE trail. But if I can get on a trail with him at a spot, and be able to hike 1-4 weeks with him and get back off to return to the car (shuttle or etc) that would be okay.

I don't need the trail to be dog friendly from start to finish. Just dog friendly long enough for a 1-4 week section hike.

Namtrag
06-10-2014, 15:12
Wind River Range in Wyoming.

Ricky&Jack
06-10-2014, 15:16
I just looked up the Wind River Range in Wyoming. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wind_River_Range It states that it is only 100miles. Which is maybe a week hike or so. Which does work.

Since it's out west, maybe while I'm over there, i can combine it with another (or a few) other section hikes as well to make the trip last for weeks

Gambit McCrae
06-10-2014, 15:49
Combine a trip of what you can hike of the JMT, most senic. And then become the first to solo with a dog the entire yellowstone river...DO IT.

rafe
06-10-2014, 16:00
Wind River Range for a novice hiker? That's bold.

Ricky&Jack
06-10-2014, 16:08
Wind River Range for a novice hiker? That's bold.
I only spent 5min researching, so i don't know positives/negatives yet. I'll look further later.

Venchka
06-10-2014, 16:21
Wind River Range in Wyoming.

I just looked up the Wind River Range in Wyoming. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wind_River_Range It states that it is only 100miles. Which is maybe a week hike or so. Which does work.

Since it's out west, maybe while I'm over there, i can combine it with another (or a few) other section hikes as well to make the trip last for weeks

Namtrag took the words right out of my fingertips.
Don't believe everything you read online. You could spend months in the Winds and not backtrack or repeat one step.
http://www.amazon.com/Climbing-Hiking-River-Mountains-Series/dp/0762780789

Add the Thorofare area outside the SE corner of Yellowstone N.P. Basically the CDT NW from Dubois, WY to Yellowstone N.P. Chaeck the dog rules for Yellowstone also.
You can't find better hiking and scenery any closer to you.

Wayne

Ricky&Jack
06-10-2014, 16:27
oh wow. Wind river has its own 400 page book. I'll buy it if that trail is a serious contender.

rafe
06-10-2014, 16:37
Rick, just do a chunk of the AT. There are some truly gorgeous sections. Someone put it in your head that the AT is a "green tunnel".

There's a smidgen of truth to that, I'll admit -- I've b!tched about it myself at times -- but there are plenty of spectacular views, too.

Take a week or so to hike from Hot Springs to Erwin, or from Erwin to Elk Park or to Damascus. Plenty of good views. Roan is spectacular.

For an easy-sleazy week -- pretty good views and pretty easy walking (with lots of "civilization) try Shenandoah NP.

I'd suggest the Whites or Maine for the best views but an inexperienced hiker is going to be in for a shock.

Namtrag
06-10-2014, 17:20
Nice post by a guy who is on Backpacking Light forums, about Wind River Range. Like you said above, it's only a week, so you might be able to do it and another one or two week's hikes elsewhere on the way there or back, maybe in Colorado (?)

I will be making my first trip there to do a loop hike with some friends this August. The loop we are taking is supposed to be fairly easy hiking according to our trip leader, who has been there twice. No giant ups or downs, only the altitude is going to be an issue since we are coming from sea level.

http://www.pmags.com/wind-river-dreams

Ricky&Jack
06-10-2014, 17:23
Nice post by a guy who is on Backpacking Light forums, about Wind River Range. Like you said above, it's only a week, so you might be able to do it and another one or two weeks hikes elsewhere on the way there or back, maybe in Colorado (?)

http://www.pmags.com/wind-river-dreams

yeah, i just looked up "tahoe rim trail" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tahoe_Rim_Trail and that could be used in combination since I may be out west anyway.

and thanks for the link above.

Namtrag
06-10-2014, 17:32
Yeah, I am excited to be going for my first trip there this August with some friends...the guy leading the trip has been twice, and says it's a once in a lifetime type hike. He did tell me that the loop we are doing has no great climbs or downs, but that the altitude might kick our butts for a while. So I think you can do it as an inexperienced hiker as well as an expert hiker, depending on where you go in the area. We are only doing a few miles a day as well, figuring we are there to completely soak in the experience rather than pile up mileage!

Here is our itinerary, departing from Elkhardt Trail Head:

23 Aug - Arrive in Pinedale, Wy, Depart trailhead, hike to Longlake, 2.3 miles
24 Aug - hike to & camp at Glimpse Lake, 3.5 miles
25 Aug - hike to Summit Lake, 7.6 miles
26 Aug - hike to Upper Jean Lake, 7.3 miles
27 Aug - hike to Lost Lake, 4.8 miles
28 Aug - hike to Eklund Lake, 5.3 miles
29 Aug - hike out to Elkhardt trail head, 5.3 miles, victory feast in Pinedale

Namtrag
06-10-2014, 17:41
....duplicate post.....

RED-DOG
06-10-2014, 17:51
I would Recomend the Mountains to sea trail it begins on Clingmans Dome and goes to the east coast of NC, you couldn't start with your dog but as soon as you got of the park " which is about 20 miles " you can hike to the coast this trail takes about 4-6 weeks to hike, or the Tuscarora Trail which is 252 miles long it's southern terminus is in the SNP and goes through VA, WVA, MD, PA it rejoins the AT on top of Blue Mountain in PA this is a more of a wilderness trail ( No shelters that i know of ) and you can hike the entire way with your dog. or if i was you i would just do a section on the AT i would do the state of VA i would start in Damascus and hike NOBO to Harpers Ferry it has always taken me a month to do that section.

Venchka
06-10-2014, 19:09
Mountain to sea trail: Incomplete. Lots of road walking. Blue Ridge Parkway may be as pet unfriendly as national parks.
No pets in the Yellowstone backcountry. No doubt the same for Grand Teton. No worries. You can visit both parks from your car. Plenty to see by driving while you get used to the altitude. There is still 95% of Wyoming left to explore.
As for a novice in the Wind River Range? Why not? What better place to learn. Lots of lakes and streams for water. Lots of forests & alpine areas above treeline.
rickey, your biggest obstacle is the 90 wait for funds. If that happens, many places out west will either be closed (Yellowstone N.P., etc.) or winter will be right around the corner. Either wait until next year or...
I hate to say it.
Hit the AT. I agree with rafe. Start north of GSMNP. Go as far up the AT as you can go.
Then start planning an epic trip out west.

Wayne

Venchka
06-10-2014, 19:14
Namtrag, looks like y'all will be around Titcomb Basin? Awesome. A shame you don't also have time for the Cirque of the Towers.

http://www.summitpost.org/wind-river-range/171223

"Go West young man."

ps: Rickey...
Every wilderness area in the Rockies and West Coast is laced with hundreds of miles of trails. they criss-cross, zig-zag, up, down, around. You can easily string together weeks of hiking. Resupply is your only limitation on the number of days you spend in the backcountry. After you resupply, go back in again.

Wayne

Ricky&Jack
06-10-2014, 19:21
you all are kicking @ss with your recommendations. I appreciate it.

Miner
06-10-2014, 19:33
A 1.5 to 2 week trip would be the 168 mile Tahoe Rim Trail (http://www.tahoerimtrail.org) (edit: which I see you already found). I'm currently planning for a trip there soon. Its not as scenic as the JMT but easier to hike. Its still part of the Sierra Nevada with great views of Lake Tahoe, Desolation Wilderness, and Granite Chief Wilderness. As its just a big loop that goes right by resupply points, its logistically easy to hike as you finish back at your car. Here is a trip report (http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=27149) from 2009 that has a lot of pictures. Afterwards, you could add additional trips into the Sierra Nevada as you have time. Pretty much, just get some of the Tom Harrison maps of the various Wilderness areas (http://www.sierrawild.gov/wilderness/) and make any loop you like. The scenery will be amazing no matter where you go. Just stay out of Yosemite, Sequoia and King Canyon National Parks with the dog.

Perhaps a large chunk of of the Colorado Trail (http://www.coloradotrail.org)? Amazing scenery and you could use all of 4 weeks doing it.

Oh, there is also the Pacific Northwest. Washington on the PCT is amazing; especially the further north you go. Oregon is nice as well, though you'll have to start north of Crater Lake National Park with the dog (though in Oregon, you'll have to watch the dog's pads with the lava rock and use those booties).

You didn't mention anything about the dog's experience. The breed looks okay for long distance. But is the dog use to backpacking? If it isn't, then you need to do something less ambitious to break him in. And you need to consider its fitness and not just yours. This is perhaps the subject for another thread though.

Ricky&Jack
06-10-2014, 19:47
Anybody know if there are re-supply spots on the Tahoe Rim Trail? (and if so, how many?..... and are they along the trail or do ya need to hitch to town)?

Or Do do ya need to carry enough food for 9 days/165 miles?

Miner
06-10-2014, 19:55
First it depends on where you are starting from. You can pick any point in the loop to start from.
Tahoe City: Trail goes into town. Grocery Store/ Post Office
Mt. Rose Summit: Hitch down road into Incline Village
Kingsbury Grade: A short walk off trail will take you to the Tramway Drive Shops where you can buy a resupply at the market.
Echo Lake: Trail goes by Echo Lake Resort which has a tiny store and a Post Office. Better to send a box to PO.

Pretty much at any road, you could hitch to a resupply if you really wanted to as there are towns all along the lake shore. My own planning has me starting at Kingsbury, resupplying at Echo Lake and Tahoe City and then just carrying about 4 days of food to get back to my car as I don't want a hitch on this trip.

The Tahoe Rim Trail Association has some maps of each segment on their website you can print out. You can also use the Tom Harrison Tahoe Rim Rec. Map, Eric the Black's TRT Atlas, or the TRT guide books. If you didn't notice, the green text in my previous post are hyperlinks to websites of interest.

Last Call
06-10-2014, 20:07
Why not the Foothills trail? It's not far from you and from what I've read it is outstanding.

FatMan
06-10-2014, 20:11
You live very close to the Cohutta/Big Frog Wilderness which is some of the most wonderful wilderness in the east. There are tons of trails all interconnected and enough to keep you busy for two weeks easy. Everything from easy to difficult. Lots of rivers and river crossings. No dog restrictions, lots of scenery and solitude.

Ricky&Jack
06-10-2014, 20:14
You live very close to the Cohutta/Big Frog Wilderness which is some of the most wonderful wilderness in the east. There are tons of trails all interconnected and enough to keep you busy for two weeks easy. Everything from easy to difficult. Lots of rivers and river crossings. No dog restrictions, lots of scenery and solitude.

yeah, the cohutta is within 45minutes or so.. I was researching a few weeks ago "jacks river trail" which has about 12 river/creek crossings in 10 miles. I plan to do that. But since it's so close, I may save it for a weekend hike. (but cohutta is my first choice for a local trail)

Venchka
06-10-2014, 22:24
yeah, the cohutta is within 45minutes or so.. I was researching a few weeks ago "jacks river trail" which has about 12 river/creek crossings in 10 miles. I plan to do that. But since it's so close, I may save it for a weekend hike. (but cohutta is my first choice for a local trail)

Use that trail system as a training ground now before your long hike after Labor Day.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

rafe
06-10-2014, 23:00
Since we're just throwing out ideas.... there's the Long Trail, and then there's the DAKs, aka. the Adirondacks. Just two that I know firsthand.

Being mostly an east-coast boy, the mountains of the American west leave me in awe. Rockies, Sierras, Cascades, whatever. I'm determined to revisit the JMT and walk it end to end.

JMT requires registration, just so you know. I'm not sure but I think the idea is to limit and regulate access. Bear canister is required, as well -- but can be rented. JMT has some serious altitude. Most of it swings between 8 and 12 thousand feet. Some folks have problems with that.

daddytwosticks
06-11-2014, 07:17
Don't mean to rain on your parade, but have you gone on any other long hikes other than your recent overnighter on the AT Approach Trail? If I were you, I'd get on the AT, being so close, and go out for a 4 or 5 day hike first before I started to travel long distances by car to hike. Make sure it's really your cup of tea. :)

rafe
06-11-2014, 08:39
Oh, there is also the Pacific Northwest. Washington on the PCT is amazing; especially the further north you go. Oregon is nice as well, though you'll have to start north of Crater Lake National Park with the dog (though in Oregon, you'll have to watch the dog's pads with the lava rock and use those booties).

I climbed South Sister (Bend OR) and an easy overnight near Mt Adams (photo, southern WA) as a fledgling hiker just out of college. Both very memorable hikes. Lived in Portland for a year -- the year Mt. St. Helens blew her top.

Venchka
06-11-2014, 09:14
Don't mean to rain on your parade, but have you gone on any other long hikes other than your recent overnighter on the AT Approach Trail? If I were you, I'd get on the AT, being so close, and go out for a 4 or 5 day hike first before I started to travel long distances by car to hike. Make sure it's really your cup of tea. :)

Best advice yet. It dovetails with my suggestion to start a hike north of GSMNP to or through Hot Springs, NC where you can sort out your gear if needed at the very well stocked Bluff Mountain Outfitters. If you and Jack are feeling good, continue north to Erwin, TN or Elk Park, NC where Mountain Harbor B&B and shuttle service is just a short road walk away. That route is long enough to require resupply & shuttle planning, high enough to give you a good work out and long enough to find out if you like multi-day backpacking trips.

Wayne

Starvin Marvin
06-11-2014, 09:32
Liike d2s said, go out locally on some multi overnighters first, to see how you do, and to see how your dog handles it. It might actually help you dial in your gear a bit before you take off for a 1 month trip.

And who is going to take care of the folks while you are gone hiking for 4 weeks?

Ricky&Jack
06-11-2014, 10:32
My sister and aunt will take care of my parents...

Also, a few people mentioned to hike more locally first. I TOTALLY plan to do that. It may take up to 90 days for dads disability to arrive, so I have plenty of time to do local hikes.

The reason I started this thread was because they are GIFTING me a long trip. So Im not gonna tell them no. Because I totally want to do it.

So it's not like I'm all "I went on one overnight hike and now i have big plans to save up for a long hike"..... they volunteered me a trip as a gift. So I have time to still do locally..... But when Ido finally do the long trip, I would like to be very knowledgeable of the trail and area. So that's why Im starting this so far out.

While Im hiking local for the next 90 days or so, i'll be able to gain better knowledge and experience.

soulrebel
06-11-2014, 11:26
foothills trail...buy the map. take all the blue blazes to waterfalls. it's knee intensive. have fun. 8 days =work, 10 days =chillax

Namtrag
06-11-2014, 11:43
I know the advice is good about getting some time in on the trail before doing a long hike out west, but the rebel in me is wanting to tell him to go for it out West. You can do the eastern trails on your own for very little cost. I would want this gift to be a special kind of trip vs an eastern tree tunnel.

Just my rebel 2 cents worth. lol

Feral Bill
06-11-2014, 11:49
National forest lands out west are generally dog friendly. The choices are many. Consider the Eagle Cap Wilderness in western Oregon. There are hundreds of miles of spectacular trails with minimal regulations (mostly LNT related). You and the pooch could do several one week loops with resupply breaks in between. Other areas offer much the same. Wait until July to assure the snows off and have fun.

mak1277
06-11-2014, 11:52
With a little driving (not that much) you could easily link together a fairly awesome trip to Wyoming. Take the Wind River suggestions from earlier in the thread, add in the Teton Crest trail, and then head up to Yellowstone. You could easily do 6-7 (or more) days in the Winds, 4-6 days on Teton Crest and however long you want in Yellowstone.

This would also allow you to break the trip up a little and enjoy the opportunity for a hotel stay or two, town food, etc. if you're not dead set on spending 4 straight weeks in the wild.

mak1277
06-11-2014, 11:53
Crud...silly me I forgot about the dog, which makes Teton & Yellowstone less desirable I suppose. I'd still probably board the pooch and enjoy the parks if it was me.

Venchka
06-11-2014, 14:16
OK, here's the deal.
You have said several times that the funds may not arrive for another 90 days. In my experience, that is Government speak for "Call us in 90 days and we might know how much longer it will take to get your money to you." I do hope that I am wrong. So, for planning purposes, Blast Off will be after labor Day, September 1. Perfect! Crowds and bugs are gone. Weather is beautiful. Days are warm. Nights are cool to chilly. Good weather should last into the first week or two of October. Even the first snow isn't a deal breaker. It will be gone in a day or 3.
North & West of Amarillo, Texas lie enough Jack friendly, minimal regulation, go and do as you please without permits, Wilderness Areas to last several lifetimes. Too many to be exact.
The Rocky Mountains are closest to you. From limited, on the ground, personal experience...trying to work with Jack.
DISCLAIMER: You will be at altitude. Sometimes LOTS of altitude. Take it easy at first.
Having Jack along means you can't ride either of the steam trains to/from the CDT or CT.
The National Parks are out. While they offer some of the best hiking on earth, Jack must be a on a leash at all times and can not go more than 30 feet off pavement. Which means that you and Jack couldn't even walk around some of the best geyser basins in Yellowstone. Bummer.
Colorado: Either the Continental Divide Trail (CDT) or the Colorado Trail (CT) could easily fill a month. Figuring out how to get back to your Jeep with Jack will require some creative investigation.

Wyoming: Bingo! The Great Outdoor Shop in Pinedale, WY offers shuttles to local trailheads in the Wind River Range. http://greatoutdoorshop.com/shuttles.htm. You could hike parts of the CDT and various side trails for as long as your food lasts. Set up a base camp and day hike in multiple directions. Get a shuttle back to town. Buy groceries. Repeat. There are worse places to spend your time.

New Mexico, Idaho & Montana: Similar opportunities as Colorado & Wyoming.

Canada: It just gets better and better. The Big 4 Rocky Mountain Parks: I could find no exclusion of pets in the backcountry online. Dogs must be on a leash at all times. Not perfect, but better than "Jack may not be on a trail." Verify this with a living human being on the phone at one of the Backcountry Permit Offices.
http://www.pc.gc.ca/eng/pn-np/ab/banff/visit/brochures.aspx

http://www.pc.gc.ca/eng/pn-np/ab/banff/activ/randonee-backpacking.aspx

http://www.pc.gc.ca/eng/pn-np/ab/banff/contact.aspx

As everyone said in your Foreign Hiking thread, the Canadian Rockies are the Crown Jewels of the Continent. If they will allow Jack to hike with you, go for it! There is more public transportion, buses mostly, up there then in the States. Check if Jack is welcome first.

The rest is on you. Have a GREAT! hike! ;) :) :cool:

Wayne

Ricky&Jack
06-11-2014, 16:34
you guys are awesome. Im keeping all these places in mind, and will look every place over, and do 'mapping' to see what combination of trails is suitable without going too much out of the way, just for a short hike.

thanks.

RED-DOG
06-11-2014, 16:54
I got an Question for you bud, you mentioned that you take care of both your parents so who is going to take care of them when you go on this little hiking trip of your's Please Remember your personal responsibility to your parents and anything else at home comes before any hiking trip, I believe you should wait until next year before you should do any major hiking, I think you are Jumping the gun on this hiking thang just a little bit, You have done one overnight trip that we know of and now your ready to go Conquer the world, In my oppinion you need to slow your role a little bit. Your home Resposibilities comes first before any hiking trip.

TNhiker
06-11-2014, 16:57
I think you are Jumping the gun on this hiking thang just a little bit, You have done one overnight trip that we know of and now your ready to go Conquer the world, In my oppinion you need to slow your role a little bit

i didnt want to say it but this needed to be said.....

i agree with red dog....

get some mile under your boots with some short overnighters.....then some longer overnighters......then some multi days........then do a week or so.....

get to know yourself, your pace, your limitations and your gear........

and give it more than the 90 days that your talking about............

Ricky&Jack
06-11-2014, 17:03
I mentioned just a few posts ago my sister, my aunt and uncle agreed to watch them, because I literally have been taking care of them for 3 years and paid every penny of their bills that whole time, they wanted to give me a trip.

I didn't ask for a trip. They brought it up and told me they wanted to say "thank you" with a trip.

You wouldn't turn family down if they said "you took care of us for 3 years and now we want to reward you with a gift" and say no to them, would you? Especially if you wanted it?

Im not ditching them. 13 members of my immediate family live within a 5minute drive of here.

And plus I worked for the federal govt for 8 years and finally left to take care of them about 3 months ago. I plan to go back to work 'soon' and why not take a trip while I still have the freedom to spend a few weeks doing something for myself?

*Edit... I did some math. I was making about $800 per week for the past 8 years. Over the past 3 years, my weekly financial obligation to them for nursing care, rent, bills, food etc was about $540 per week..... Out of my $800. I was living off about $260 per week... that's $28,000 per year to take care of them. They want to give me a little for a trip. (A trip I actually want). I'm not turning them down.

Coffee
06-11-2014, 18:07
I don't think there is any reason to be defensive about taking the trip and it sounds like it is more than deserved. However, I would carefully consider what others here have written regarding gaining more experience on multi-day backpacking trips and it sounds like you are planning to do some of that already before heading out west.

My background is maybe not that unique ... I did some backpacking when I was much younger and then got away from it for a long time and only resumed a couple of years ago. I purchased all new equipment and it did take some trial and error to get things dialed in, and I'm still going through that process after close to 40 nights in total over the past 18 months including a JMT thru hike. Prior to the JMT, I went on a number of multi-night trips and that was really critical before going out west where resupply and bailout options are much less common than on the AT. One thing I didn't have to figure out is whether I enjoyed backpacking. I knew that I enjoy it based on my experience from years ago. But someone totally new to backpacking has to figure out if they like it to begin with.

Those of us who live within a couple hours of the AT are really fortunate to have it available for shakedown hikes. And I think that the characterization of the AT as a "green tunnel" is somewhat unfair especially if one hikes when the leaves are off the trees (obviously not currently the case).

Ricky&Jack
06-11-2014, 18:27
This is only slightly off-topic, but kinda goes with previous concerns.

I only live 62 miles from Amicalola. I had been looking into hiking from amicalola (or springer) to someplace such as BULL GAP/Mountain-Crossing (Walasi-yi). Thats 39mi from amicalola or 30 from springer..... that would help me with a few nights of experience. Does anyone know if there is a shuttle that would take me from there, back to Springer/Amicalola?

(I guess I could hike there and back, for a solid week or so to get some trail legs, but Maybe starting out it would be good to try it one way, if I can figure out if theres a shuttle and what the average cost has been)

Anybody here taken a shuttle or something from Mountain-crossing to Springer/amicalola?

*Edit.. I just found their shuttle pagehttp://www.mountaincrossings.com/category-s/1944.htm and sent them an email. I'll post their response when they reply

Venchka
06-11-2014, 19:13
Meanwhile, there is a perfectly good wilderness area just a skip & a spit east of you. Call the ranger district in charge and ask for a trail map. There may be one online. I always like a printed map better. However, it is a new day and the Government may not print maps any more. Anyway, get an idea of the trail system in that wilderness area. Put together a circle trip from a convenient trail head. Start slow and easy. Keep expanding the size of the loop. Let Jack get used to being outdoors with all kinds of tempting distractions. Buy Jack his own pack so he can carry his food. You will both know when it is time to move to bigger and better locations.
If you decide to head West, things will be different. Very different. Trail heads will be several thousand feet higher than Springer. The trails head straight uphill from where you park your Jeep. Many of the very best places to camp for a day or 2 will be above treeline. Can your hammock work on the ground? Would a lightweight tent (TarpTent) be a better choice?
We are not trying to talk you out of a fantastic hiking journey. We are only trying to point out all of the things that will affect your hiking. ;) :cool:

Ask TipiWalter of this forum about the trails east of you. I bet he knows.

Good luck.

Wayne

Ricky&Jack
06-11-2014, 19:20
I got my skeeter bester pro hammock 2 weeks ago. But I live in a cup-de-sac with no trees, so I haven't hung it yet. But I have a $25 walmart tent that me and my dog used not he approach trail last month, if I decide to leave hammock at home whenever I'm back out.

He does have a Pack. I bought it about 2 months ago. But it is a medium... medium is for dogs 40-69 lbs or so... He is at 38lbs now so he's FINALLY getting to where he can't just walk out of the harness/pack. I've had it on him at home for about 10min at a time til the cat tries to ride it. But yeah. I plan on having him try it empty when we go back out. And if he's too whiny about it, I can easily fit it into my Teton Outfitter 4600 pack for a bit so i ease him into carryinng one.

Ricky&Jack
06-11-2014, 19:23
Hey Wayne, I see you are from Upper-East texas. where a bouts? I lived in Mcalester, Oklahoma for 14 years but left 3 years ago. But I remember there are great wooded areas around Hugo, Broken Bow etc. Where do you hike locally? When dad gets his back pay, Im supposed to take parents to Mcalester so dad can see his family for the first time in 3 years. Its supposed to be a week long visit. I was thinking about looking for trails within few hours drive, maybe

Venchka
06-11-2014, 19:31
Hey Wayne, I see you are from Upper-East texas. where a bouts? I lived in Mcalester, Oklahoma for 14 years but left 3 years ago. But I remember there are great wooded areas around Hugo, Broken Bow etc. Where do you hike locally? When dad gets his back pay, Im supposed to take parents to Mcalester so dad can see his family for the first time in 3 years. Its supposed to be a week long visit. I was thinking about looking for trails within few hours drive, maybe

I work in Houston 99% of the time. No hiking now. I am scoping out the Ouachita Trail (https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=ouachita%20national%20recreation%20trail)for something close after I retire. I also have my eye on the Wichita Mountains (https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=wichita+mountains+wildlife+refuge). New Mexico or Big Bend are where I really want to backpack. When I am not in Wyoming.
In the meantime, I will hiking with my grand kids in North Carolina later this summer.

Wayne

daddytwosticks
06-12-2014, 07:21
Given where you live, it can't be much easier. Just drive to the outfitters at Neel Gap or use the Hiker Hostel. Leave your car there. Take yourself, your dog, and your Wal-Mart gear and get shuttled to AFSP. Walk north to Neel Gap. Have fun. Learn a lot about you, your dog, and gear. Go now. Quit talking about it. Just do it. Sounds harsh, but this one trip will probably tell you EVERYTHING you need to know about whether hiking is for you. :)

mr.rainmaker
06-12-2014, 09:39
Last night on Netflix my girlfriend an I watched a very good JMT documentary. Mile Mile & Half and it absolutely has us thinking about doing a 2 week trip on the JMT. If you haven't gotten to see it yet I highly recommend for anyone interested in long distance hiking or just hiking in general to check it out. I have attached a link for the first trailer.

JMT Documentary on Netflix

vimeo.com/36675195 (http://vimeo.com/36675195)

Venchka
06-12-2014, 11:36
http://www.blueridgemountains.com/cohuttas.html

Dogwood
06-12-2014, 11:37
If it was me, with a jeep, and I wanted something far removed from my GA environment - ROAD TRIP TO SOUTHERN UTAH, WYOMING, northern ARIZONA, and MONTANA! - Glacier, Yellowstone, Arches, Capitol Reef, Zion, Bryce, Grand Canyon and perhaps when at Glacier head north over the border into Canada and hit up a few of the Provincial Parks. Stop along the way taking in other things as they appealed to me.

Venchka
06-12-2014, 11:40
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...sort of a long thru hike with tires? Plenty to see and do. Glacier & Yellowstone will be mostly closed by the time he can get there.

Wayne

meat803
06-12-2014, 11:45
How about the Foothills trail which is right in your area. It connects to the Chatooga river trail and Bartram trail that I know of. You could even take the Bartram over to hit the AT by Wayah Bald. The Foothills is in your area, wonderfully maintained, maps and guides, secluded and not crowded at all, lots of water, mountains, waterfalls, rivers, lakes, creeks, the list goes on. Being you are a novice, there are plenty of bailout points as well as numerous people from the Foothills Trail Conference that offer shuttles or food drops.I think they call it the Carolina's AT or something, even has white blazes. From Oconee State park to Table Rock it is 77 miles. With spur trails and other trail crossings, you could make it any mileage you want. I cant say enough about how beautiful this trail is. If you could time it with the change in leaves this fall, just wow....hiker porn.

Dogwood
06-12-2014, 12:00
I was just in Mcalester OK and Broken Bow. If wanting some short hikes check out the Ouachita Trail(pronounced wash-it-aw, pronounced like Wichita but with the wash to start), OK SP's(Robber's Cave, Talimena, etc), and the trails around the Beaver's Bend and Broken Bow Reservoirs/lakes.

Ricky&Jack
06-12-2014, 12:03
I was just in Mcalester OK and Broken Bow. If wanting some short hikes check out the Ouachita Trail(pronounced wash-it-aw, pronounced like Wichita but with the wash to start), OK SP's(Robber's Cave, Talimena, etc), and the trails around the Beaver's Bend and Broken Bow Reservoirs/lakes.

I used to go to robbers cave all the time... when I was growing up, that was the go-to place for birthday parties etc. But I already forgot about that place in the 3 years since I left. great recommendation.

Were you in mcalester/broken bow for hiking? or unrelated reasons?

Dogwood
06-12-2014, 14:17
I hiked a bit less than half the Grand Enchantment Trail(from Phoenix AZ to Morenci, about 300 miles) after intending to thru-hike it but bailed to Oklahoma early to thru-hike the Ouachita Tr and a portion of the Buffalo Nat Scenic River Tr. I took Greyhound from NM to Mcalester OK and then hitched to Talimena SP to start the OT. I made an unforeseen stop in Broken Bow when hiking the OT to see what was there and check out a bit of Beavers Bend.

Dogwood
06-12-2014, 14:19
I did two days in Robbers Cave SP awaiting my resupply box mailed to the USPO in Talihina.

saltysack
06-12-2014, 22:41
Given where you live, it can't be much easier. Just drive to the outfitters at Neel Gap or use the Hiker Hostel. Leave your car there. Take yourself, your dog, and your Wal-Mart gear and get shuttled to AFSP. Walk north to Neel Gap. Have fun. Learn a lot about you, your dog, and gear. Go now. Quit talking about it. Just do it. Sounds harsh, but this one trip will probably tell you EVERYTHING you need to know about whether hiking is for you. :)

Haaaaaaaaaaa.......:-) so true.......lil harsh but true...

Ricky&Jack
06-12-2014, 22:55
the folks at mountain crossing emailed me back this morning. they no longer provide a dog kennel (but its still listed on their site).

He gave me a number to call for a driver (Mountain outfitters don't actually do the shuttling).

But I was hoping to do what you said, and then when I hike back to mountain outfitters, for me to stay in hostel (and jack gets kennel) for the night, and the next morning drive home...... But looks like i'll have to leave as soon as I get to mountain crossing/my car, and return, since they don't allow dogs overnight anymore

saltysack
06-12-2014, 23:05
Try Wes Wesson for shuttle ...great guy

Ricky&Jack
06-12-2014, 23:11

Okay. their email gave me the number for "Ron". But said if he can't help me, to call the store and they will make sure I taken care of.

daddytwosticks
06-13-2014, 07:16

Wes is a great guy and full of stories. My shuttle trips with him fly by since he keeps me so entertained. Hope he is doing well. His health has not been the best. :)

saltysack
06-13-2014, 08:08
Wes is a great guy and full of stories. My shuttle trips with him fly by since he keeps me so entertained. Hope he is doing well. His health has not been the best. :)

Y great guy...forgot about his health issues as it's been a few years since I've used him. Hope he's doing ok

Venchka
06-13-2014, 08:19
Have you found the shuttle list link on the home page of WhiteBlaze? I just found this person on the shuttle list. The only listing I saw that said they were dog friendly. If you have laready tried them, I was never here.

Ron Brown Ellijay, GA (near Springer Mountain)
(706) 636-2825 (home)
(706) 669-0919 (cell)
[email protected]
Please leave a message with your phone
number if you get voice mail. Flat rate for
shuttles to or from any part of the A.T. and
nearby towns, as well as Amicalola Falls
S.P., Atlanta airport, and Gainesville, GA.
Dogs welcome; extra stops OK. Fuel on
request.

Wayne

saltysack
06-13-2014, 11:39
Wes's Wesson shuttles me w mutt also...

fredmugs
06-13-2014, 13:28
I only read the first page of this thread but I enjoyed the 200 miles I did on the PCT from just south of Goat Rocks Wilderness to Stevens Pass more than I did the JMT. Washington state in August is relatively rain free and you will definitely be "outside."

Venchka
06-22-2014, 20:52
I only read the first page of this thread but I enjoyed the 200 miles I did on the PCT from just south of Goat Rocks Wilderness to Stevens Pass more than I did the JMT. Washington state in August is relatively rain free and you will definitely be "outside."

I don't see any mention of The Wonderland Trail. Combining an epic road trip, lots of day hikes along the way and the two hikes above would be a trip to remember.

Wayne

JumpMaster Blaster
06-23-2014, 01:09
Last night on Netflix my girlfriend an I watched a very good JMT documentary. Mile Mile & Half and it absolutely has us thinking about doing a 2 week trip on the JMT. If you haven't gotten to see it yet I highly recommend for anyone interested in long distance hiking or just hiking in general to check it out. I have attached a link for the first trailer.

JMT Documentary on Netflix

vimeo.com/36675195 (http://vimeo.com/36675195)

Oh yeah that was good.

The Cleaner
06-23-2014, 07:13
Don't spend till you get it, these days SSD backpay is usually paid in several payments over several months to a year or so...

lemon b
06-23-2014, 09:32
It is a drive. However, is dog friendly and only about 300 miles. The Long Trail. Being your first long distance hike what I would suggest is doing it Northbound. Resupplying on the North end will take a full day if your going to yoyo. Heading South is almost like doing an entirely new trail. Transportation is going to be your largest cost except for maybe equipment. You would be starting in Williamstown, Ma. or North Adams, Ma. A couple grand tops 3000.00 would be enough for a flipflop. However, the North is always more costly than the South.

Can relate to taking care of parents. My Mom was the one with the memory issues, Dads were physical. Used to spend 4 nights a week over there until Dad passed. Than Mom became a real difficultly and finally I had to put her in a nursing home be cause she never listened to anyone but Dad. A lot of work and my hats off to you. Aging parents who we love so much are so difficult. Understanding whats going on is the most difficult part. Like my Mom never told me anything but the truth until her brain stopped working just did not see or accept for years.

Dogwood
06-23-2014, 16:02
You should look at Backpacker magazine's July 2014 issue pg 59. You have an opportunity to explore something very different than the eastcoast. Expand your horizons beyond the east is my advice!

Venchka
06-23-2014, 21:41
You should look at Backpacker magazine's July 2014 issue pg 59. You have an opportunity to explore something very different than the eastcoast. Expand your horizons beyond the east is my advice!

Been saying that since forever.

Wayne