PDA

View Full Version : New to Hiking need advice!

Dreaoutside
06-10-2014, 17:15
Hi I'm new to hiking and I was recently struck with the idea that I would really like to get more involved in nature, this forum seems like a great place to start learning and I'd eventually like to plan to start hiking. Some sections of the AT . I live in buffalo NY are there any parts of the AT that would be a good place to hike in a few miles camp for a night and then hike back the next day.

Entrance points, trails, and tips all extremely helpful !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ricky&Jack
06-10-2014, 17:38
you don't need to drive across the state just to do the A.T.

theres a few other trails a lot closer.

I know that doesn't answer your question, but if you haven't really had experience, then I wouldn't waste a drive that far. You can find some fun trails a lot closer, and then if you like those enough, I would make it a weekend to go to the A.T.

But there are trails closer that would be as much fun.

Ricky&Jack
06-10-2014, 17:39
sorry that picture sucks.

this link would help more than the pic.

http://www.traildino.com/trace/continents-North_America/countries-United_States#Map

RED-DOG
06-10-2014, 18:32
:welcome to WB, Have Fun and Enjoy.

Dreaoutside
06-11-2014, 10:29
Thank you so much! I'll definitely try some closer hikes first to prepare!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jake2c
06-11-2014, 12:46
Welcome to the forum. I also started hiking recently, about 3 years ago. One thing I gained a lot from was that I would go to a very local though small area with trails that also offered remote camping. This way I tried out gear, figured out what worked and didn't but had an "escape" plan, so to speak, in case I made a really bad choice and ended up cold and wet one night. After that I went to the AT and hiked longer sections. Most here are more experienced than me, but it helped me learn a lot of lessons painlessly.

FL Grandma
06-13-2014, 19:11
You might want to try the North Country Scenic Trail. I have hiked the section in PA starting at Tracy Ridge near Ridgway PA (near Allegany St Park in NY). Nice hike down to the Kinzua Reservoir. Camp right on the water (privy and water there too).