PDA

View Full Version : TT Notch, quick first time review.

Tarpcamper75
06-10-2014, 19:48
I used my new TT Notch on the south cheeha loop june 1st and 2nd. Ive been hammock hangin the last few years but had to carry my kids gear too, so I opted for an ultra light tent. Gotta say I loved it. Im six one, 190lbs and had plenty of room. The thing I like most about it is being able to open both doors and get the same view that I got in my hammock, with all around bug protection. Easy to set up and take down, fits nicely in my pack. Havnt had it in any rain yet, but it seems like it will hold up fine. Overall Im glad I got it, cant wait to use it in the fall.

Odd Man Out
06-10-2014, 22:11
I used my new TT Notch on the south cheeha loop june 1st and 2nd. Ive been hammock hangin the last few years but had to carry my kids gear too, so I opted for an ultra light tent. Gotta say I loved it. Im six one, 190lbs and had plenty of room. The thing I like most about it is being able to open both doors and get the same view that I got in my hammock, with all around bug protection. Easy to set up and take down, fits nicely in my pack. Havnt had it in any rain yet, but it seems like it will hold up fine. Overall Im glad I got it, cant wait to use it in the fall.

I have a 25" wide sleeping pad. It looks like the footprint narrows to 20" at the ends. Would a wide pad fit?

Franco
06-11-2014, 00:57
This is a 25"x 77" mat inside the Notch :
from the Notch product page,
At both ends the mat pushes the sides out a bit but they do fit.

Another Kevin
06-11-2014, 15:04
My 20x72 (Regular) Prolite looks to have a couple of inches to spare at the corners. I think a Large might come right to the edges of the bathtub floor but would still fit, or maybe push it out a little at the corners.

I'm about of a size with Tarpcamper75 and agree that it's big enough for moderately big guys like us. My 6'8" brother might have a problem.

I've used my Notch in heavy rain, and light snow and sleet, and it came through admirably. You do need to seal the seams with silicone (or pay Henry to do it).

If it's all buttoned up tight, it has condensation problems, but so does every tent ever made. Pitch it crosswind and open the end vents if you're expecting really humid conditions, and it will do fine.

Here it is on a sunny morning after a rainy night. The shale and clay that the tent was on got pretty sloppy, but the floor kept the wet out just fine.

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3763/14278773134_b910043572.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/nKLrMG)
Campsite (https://flic.kr/p/nKLrMG) by ke9tv (https://www.flickr.com/people//), on Flickr

It also sets up for a fly-and-footprint pitch pretty easily. I've never tried to pitch the inner tent free-standing. Whenever I try something like that, it makes it rain, so I don't do that any more.

Odd Man Out
06-11-2014, 15:46
It also sets up for a fly-and-footprint pitch pretty easily. I've never tried to pitch the inner tent free-standing. Whenever I try something like that, it makes it rain, so I don't do that any more.

Thanks for the reviews. Next time we need rain, you can come camp in my back yard ;)

Another Kevin
06-11-2014, 17:09
It's like washing your car. Doing it in a drought to make it rain doesn't work.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Franco
06-11-2014, 19:26
Here is another shot, this time with the 25"x 77" original Neo Air :
Photo by Mike W

Odd Man Out
06-11-2014, 20:05
Here is another shot, this time with the 25"x 77" original Neo Air :
Photo by Mike W

Nice, and I think the new NeoAir UL are tapered at the head, which should make it fit better.

Franco
06-11-2014, 20:51
I suspected that the Nemo mat I first posted a photo of had tapered corners but it does not.

Still we don't use those corners anyway so the tapered design works well.

Venchka
06-11-2014, 21:31
Nice, and I think the new NeoAir UL are tapered at the head, which should make it fit better.

All of the Xlites and XTherms are rounded at the head and tapered at the foot. They also are narrower inflated than the flat dimensions listed in the catalog. The weight is spot on the listed weight.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

Franco
06-27-2014, 19:18
A couple of quick tips.Use the apex guylines (I prefer to use two extra stakes so I can have them a bit further out than the tent fly ones) to get better wind/snow resistance and so that you can open up any or all of those four door panels.

After you have set up the shelters if the struts at one end are not fully spread out , grab the end apex and pull that end stake out .
Now grab both struts and pull them towards you spreading them out .
Without letting the tension go , stake the end tie outs into the new spot.
This is how it should look :
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e389/Francophoto/TT%20Notch/Derriks-Hut-2.jpg

The Cleaner
06-28-2014, 09:18
I bought a Moment DW a few months ago. It is very similar to the Notch. I've found that the DW blocks 99% wind and might help with condensation, misting and blowing snow.27595

Damn Yankee
06-28-2014, 10:12
So, is the fly separate from the tent?

The Cleaner
06-28-2014, 15:30
As for the Moment DW, the inner tent clips in. You can purchase a mesh inner tent for really warm weather, which I avoid. Also can be set up fly alone mode too. If you keep the inner tent clipped in, set up is fast with only 2 stakes and the arch pole to put through the sleeve. If raining the inner tent stays dry. Also has 2 doors and vestibules. It's my poor man's winter tent...:eek:

Franco
06-28-2014, 19:06
"So, is the fly separate from the tent? "
There are several double wall Tarptent models.
The Notch and the Moment are two of them, the others are so are the Scarps, Stratospires and the Hogback.
All have an integral pitch (fly and inner together) so you don't get the inner wet setting them up in the rain.
Because of that you can also take the inner down with the tent pitched so you can pack that up then go out and pack the fly separately.
Handy if packing up in the rain or the fly is wet and you have no time to let it dry.
franco@tarptent