PDA

View Full Version : Water Aug. 1-5, Dicks Creek Gap to Winding Stair?

slbirdnerd
06-10-2014, 20:46
I'm looking at a 3-4 day section from Dick's Creek Gap NOBO to Winding Stair Gap the first week of August. Should we be okay with water sources for the hike? I know it will be hot, but will it be "you can take the heat" hot or "are you crazy???" hot? Thanks!

bigcranky
06-10-2014, 21:05
Hard to say this far out. It was a wet winter and spring overall in NC, but that can change quickly. For water info you are better off asking a week or so out.

It'll be hot, but at that elevation I think it's pretty bearable. For me, anyway.

MuddyWaters
06-10-2014, 22:39
Its not the daytime heat that makes it miserable, to me. Its the night time. I cant sleep when Im all sweaty, sticky, and itchy. Sometime after midnight when it cools off enough I finally doze off.

slbirdnerd
06-11-2014, 15:09
Thanks, guys. Will check in closer to then about water. Also if we find it short I guess we can camel up or bail out.

daddytwosticks
06-11-2014, 16:11
I've hiked this section numerous times in the past during drought years. This year is pretty much a normal rainfall year - maybe a bit below normal. I don't think you'll have a problem. Happy hiking. :)