PDA

View Full Version : South Taconic Trail

jmitchell
06-10-2014, 20:54
https://www.flickr.com/photos/49239558@N04/sets/72157645105778462

Lying in the shadows of better known mountains, such as the Catskills, Berkshires, and Green Mountains, the Taconics are relatively unknown. However, these mountains have vistas that easily rival those of much higher mountains. I hiked the 16 mile South Taconic Trail (STT) recently, a rugged linear trail that follows the crest of these ridges, passing open, grassy bald summits, tunnels of laurel, blueberries, and scrub oak, and clear mountain streams. The northern trailhead begins at Route 23 near Catamount Ski Area, a small parking area is off Nicholson Rd. The trail climbed around the perimeter of the ski area, following the ski slopes in places. There were several nice views to the north. Heading south, the trail passed great views from Mt. Fray and Prospect Hill, meandering through this forests of scrub oak and laurel. Sunset Rocks were next with more fine views to the west where you can see the entire profile of the Catskills. A descent to Bash Bish Brook followed, where a side trail leads to impressive Bash Bish Falls.

A steep climb followed up Bash Bish Mountain along a small stream and ravine with cascades, and a scenic hemlock forest. The climb steepened and then a side trail lead to a vista with a great view of a beautiful farm valley. The trail followed the ridge of the mountain and gradually ascended to stunning Alander Mountain with views in all directions, from the Catskills to Mt. Greylock. The summit is largely exposed. A steep descent followed and then a long, gradual climb along an old forest grade to Brace Mountain with more amazing views from the bald summit. A paraglider was riding in the air as we approached. Clouds approached from the west. The descent from Brace offered more great views, including Riga Lake to the south. The descent off of Brace became very steep where we had to climb down exposed ledges, rivaling any of the difficult trails in the Catskills. The trail followed a small stream with many cascades. The stream trickled when we were there, but in high water it would be impressive. The trail ended in a residential area.

The STT is a beautiful trail and I'm surprised it is not more popular. The views were expansive and the bald summits rivaled anything in the Catskills. Bash Bish Falls is another amazing highlight. If you backpack this trail, bring a pack with a low profile due to the laurel and scrub oak that arch over the trail. Campsites are also limited. Water can be very limited in dry weather. And the bugs weren't bad at all.

The O's Hillsdale Country Diner in Hillsdale, NY is a great place to eat after hiking.

Starchild
06-10-2014, 21:54
Contrary to your post I have found water is usually pretty plentiful even in the dry months.

Also I would recommend the Taconic Wayside Inn, but the one you mentioned is probably good too.

rafe
06-10-2014, 22:27
Nice pictures. This one's on my to-do list. I've crossed that trail (I think) on numerous occasions, on the drive between Williamstown MA and Troy NY. We even stopped once (!!) and took a short walk on the trail.

burger
06-10-2014, 22:29
It's a nice trail. You can easily make a loop with the AT by cutting over at Bear Mountain (CT) and then picking up the AT at Sages Ravine and heading north to Jug End.

There was a long thread here on Whiteblaze about that loop not so long ago.

burger
06-10-2014, 22:32
Contrary to your post I have found water is usually pretty plentiful even in the dry months.

Contrary to your post, we did the STT in September after a dry summer and had major water problems. We had to go up to a mile downhill along dry streambeds to find water at places where the guidebooks said we should find water at the trail.

Migrating Bird
06-11-2014, 07:58
Nice pictures. This one's on my to-do list. I've crossed that trail (I think) on numerous occasions, on the drive between Williamstown MA and Troy NY. We even stopped once (!!) and took a short walk on the trail.

Hi Rafe, I believe you were crossing the Taconic Crest Trail as opposed to the South Taconic Trail.

I requarly hike the STT northbound as I find the solitude and views really nice. The state campground at Bash Bish Falls, is a great staging area. Nice showers and facilities.

Last year I my daughter and I did a one day 28 mile hike on the TCT southbound from Pownal VT to Jimney Peak Ski area. That hike was to raise money for Cystic Fibrosis. The TCT is also a really nice hike with views and few road crossings although it has more intrusion from 4 wheelers and dirt bikes.

rafe
06-11-2014, 08:31
Hi Rafe, I believe you were crossing the Taconic Crest Trail as opposed to the South Taconic Trail.

I stand corrected, thank you. I knew it was one of those Taconics! So many mountains, so little time. And nothing more than about 100 feet high 'round about where I live. Sigh.

Starchild
06-11-2014, 08:50
Contrary to your post, we did the STT in September after a dry summer and had major water problems. We had to go up to a mile downhill along dry streambeds to find water at places where the guidebooks said we should find water at the trail.

Interesting, the only place I can see that is coming down from Alander, but there is usually water a bit further down the trail if that one runs dry. I don't know of the STT guidebook so can't say what water source they stated, but it is in my backyard so I know it and it's water hiding spots very well.

Another Kevin
06-11-2014, 11:26
Nice pics! You're right that Alander is gorgeous, and the Alander cabin is staying in the lap of luxury as trail shelters go. Teacher grabbed a pic of Snacktime and me going down Alander toward Brace that gives a pretty good idea of what the trail and views are like. (Yes, it was deer season. Don't we just rock the orange? :-? )

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7447/10600045056_dfe96c338a.jpg (https://www.flickr.com/photos/ke9tv/10600045056/)
From Teacher: Taconics, 2013-10-25/26 (https://www.flickr.com/photos/ke9tv/10600045056/) by ke9tv (https://www.flickr.com/people/ke9tv/), on Flickr

I'm mostly a Catskill hiker, but I make it over into Massachusetts occasionally. I haven't done the descent off Brace into New York, because when I've been there southbound, I've turned left over Frissell and Round Mountain. Those are surprisingly tough, given the small amount of elevation change. It's not even so much that it's steep, but that if it's at all wet, the rock gets slick as snot on a porcelain doorknob. The Catskill scrambles are a lot steeper, but the rock grips better.

If you bushwhack, it's not all that hard to make a loop with the AT, the STT and some long-abandoned iron mine roads that join Jug End and Catamount. It's best done on snowshoes, the brush can be pretty bad in warm weather, but it's a nice long loop. (I've done all the bits, but never in one go; the one time I tried it, I got a horrible case of bronchitis and had to get off trail in South Egremont.) There's no place that's lawful to camp between The Hemlocks and Copake, but I discussed my plans with a ranger and said, "I might have to pitch somewhere if I can't make the mileage." He shrugged and said, "You won't hurt the snow any!" I took that as permission to stealth-camp.

Wil
06-11-2014, 11:56
Discussion of AT/South Taconics Train Loop. Bear Mountain Area to South, Jug End at North.

http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?32789-Bushwhacking-from-AT-to-South-Taconic-Trail&highlight=South+Taconics+Trail (http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?32789-Bushwhacking-from-AT-to-South-Taconic-Trail&highlight=South+Taconics+Trail)

Wil
06-11-2014, 11:58
typo: "Train" should be "Trail"

Another Kevin
06-11-2014, 13:09
Discussion of AT/South Taconics Train Loop. Bear Mountain Area to South, Jug End at North.

http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?32789-Bushwhacking-from-AT-to-South-Taconic-Trail&highlight=South+Taconics+Trail (http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?32789-Bushwhacking-from-AT-to-South-Taconic-Trail&highlight=South+Taconics+Trail)

Yeah, that's the route. 1azarus and I did it two winters ago, starting from the snowplow turnaround at the state line. I didn't bail out until we'd finished the bushwhack.

With the detailed directions in http://www.vftt.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=2855&d=1256966818 , the whack is a piece of cake. At least if you're comfortable with off-trail travel to begin with.

burger
06-11-2014, 14:58
You can also do the loop as an easy roadwalk or hitch. Take the AT to Guilder Hollow Road, turn left onto Jug End Road, and take that to 23. We walked it, but there was enough traffic on the road that you could probably hitch.

Another Kevin
06-11-2014, 15:17
You can also do the loop as an easy roadwalk or hitch. Take the AT to Guilder Hollow Road, turn left onto Jug End Road, and take that to 23. We walked it, but there was enough traffic on the road that you could probably hitch.

You could indeed. With my interest in archaeology, I wanted to see the ruins that are on the whack.

Wil
06-11-2014, 18:37
With my interest in archaeology, I wanted to see the ruins that are on the whack.Not exactly ancient history, but if you take the more northern entry to the route (discussed in the thread, down from the AT along the last major gully before Jug End, around N42° 08' 03.8" W73° 26' 00.8") there is an interesting stone structure about halfway down, may be an old well. At N42° 07' 56.4" W73° 26' 05.4" there is a monument dated 1914. There is a line of blazes running parallel to the AT, apparently attempting to mark some kind of AT corridor.

The "meadows" I mention in the route are actually the remains of an old 9 hole golf course associated with a former resort in the area, and there were ski slopes cut up into the hills to the west.

As I remark somewhere in the thread, this route is not just a whack to get from one spot to another, it is a beautiful and interesting walk in itself.