PDA

View Full Version : Rhodo. Tunnels?

Smile
09-29-2005, 10:39
I've heard some talk and seen some photos of tunnels ( rhododendron) down in Georgia. What are these like, cooler and shaded from sun? Miles long? Always on a climb uphill? They sound very interesting and I'd like to hear more about them, I found some photos in the gallery but these could just be a hundred feet long or so, hard to tell.

The Solemates
09-29-2005, 11:07
There are several area in GA with such rhodadendron tunnels, but the best one that comes to my mind on the trail is one that is several hundred feet long and is just after you cross Max Patch, headed northbound.

orangebug
09-29-2005, 13:03
I doubt there are any that are miles long, but GA, NC and TN have a few. Often Moutain Laurel are involved in the tunnel. They are cooler in summer, but block the view. They make great thermometers during winter weather, as you can estimate the temperature by the tightness of the leaf's curl and how it bends toward the branch.

Youngblood
09-29-2005, 13:17
... They make great thermometers during winter weather, as you can estimate the temperature by the tightness of the leaf's curl and how it bends toward the branch.I've noticed that... what is the temperature guidelines?

Youngblood

Blue Jay
09-29-2005, 13:44
Go there in early June and hike early in the morning, just before the sun comes up. When it does, the light beams cut through the mist. You are completely surrounded by color as some of the blossoms will be on the ground, as if someone sprikled them there in advance of your hike. Two rhodes, two azalias (including the flame which hurts your eyes in the sun) and of course the mountain laurel. You walk thru other worldly beauty.

Footslogger
09-29-2005, 14:16
Seems to me there is a pretty good one on the northbound approach to Tray Mountain in Georgia.

'Slogger

orangebug
09-29-2005, 21:11
I've noticed that... what is the temperature guidelines?
Full tight curl = 32F

Full fold on the branch is about 20F.

Dances with Mice
09-29-2005, 21:21
Full tight curl = 32F

Full fold on the branch is about 20F.They tell the weather in a lot of ways!
+ If the leaves are dripping water, it's raining.
+ If the leaves are white, it has snowed.
+ If the leaves are swinging, it's windy.
+ If the leaves are black, there's been a fire.
+ If all the branches are broken, there's been a tornado...

The best rhodie tunnel anywhere is on the blue-blazed trail to Whitley Gap Shelter. The walls are so thick you can lean against them.

orangebug
09-29-2005, 21:33
You are right about the Whitley Gap Blue Blaze. I like the southern approaches up Standing Indian Mountain, and a few spots near Three Forks, Horsepen Gap and Tray Mtn in GA.

I've noticed that some of the best tunnels happen along old logging roads dug into the hill, and areas near running water that appear to have slow landslides toward the stream.

Alligator
09-29-2005, 21:57
I've noticed that some of the best tunnels happen along old logging roads dug into the hill, and areas near running water that appear to have slow landslides toward the stream.Me too on the logging roads. I wonder if rhododendron is shade intolerant or an early successional species.

Big Dawg
09-30-2005, 07:31
There are several area in GA with such rhodadendron tunnels, but the best one that comes to my mind on the trail is one that is several hundred feet long and is just after you cross Max Patch, headed northbound.Here's the tunnel you were talking about, Soulmates. This is the longest one I remember since starting at Springer. It seemed to go on forever,, but yea, probably just 300 to 400 feet long. I always love going thru these tunnels :banana

Smile, the one just past Max Patch is flat the whole way, but I've been thru them hiking up & down. The second link is a wider tunnel, more open on top, w/ trees intermingled, heading up Thunderhead in the Smokies!!

http://www.whiteblaze.net/gallery/watermark.php?file=518/2317AT_Rhodadendron_Tunnel-med.jpg

http://www.whiteblaze.net/gallery/watermark.php?file=531/2317AT_Climbing_Thunderhead-med.jpg (http://www.whiteblaze.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/6264/size/big/sort/1/cat/500)

The Solemates
09-30-2005, 10:06
there ya go...

yea i was looking for a picture that i took of it when i posted, but couldnt find one.

Smile
09-30-2005, 19:03
Here's a cool cornpath I found myself on recently it was over 1/4 mile long before it hit a road and was paved about a foot wide across the entire field.Thanks for the photo references for the rhodo-tunnels :)